Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What do you envision travel on AA when we start flying again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you envision travel on AA when we start flying again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Doug Parker interviewed this morning on CNBC (Squawk Alley). Was asked if they plan to remove seats, add partitions, etc. - but all he said was they are blocking seats now. Asked about fares reduced seats - again just said they don't have a problem blocking seats now. Also retiring some 767 and 757.
Asked about giving out masks when you board - he just mentions AA cleaning aircraft.

So nothing that we don't already know. But he did not rule out changes in the future.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
  1. I envision domestic F disappearing altogether and switched over to coach. Two domestic F seats are too close to each other
  2. I see the middle coach seat being permanently blocked out to allow spacing
  3. International J still around but will be re-arranged to accommodate spacing (lower number of J seats available forget every getting one with instruments)
Thoughts?
You are treating it like there's some magical switch that goes "well, we are flying again and this is how it's going to be"

The return to flying will involve a whole series of gradual changes and re-introductions that will be heavily influenced by both public health status (when do we have a vaccine? when do we have pharmaceutical treatments? What does herd immunity look like? When will we have test and trace? etc.) and by economic status (when can large conferences restart? When will international travel restrictions loosen? How much business travel will be long-term replaced by video meetings?)

What mitigation steps airlines are taking for June flying will not be same as say October flying which won't be same as January 2021 flying.

It's not just a matter of removing or blocking some seats, reducing meal service, and increasing cleaning, and then saying "That's it. That's what flying looks like post-COVID." It will evolve and change, and probably will do so for 18-24 months.

And I personally would be shocked if any regular business travel returns before September, and that's optimistic. I certainly don't expect to be travelling with any regularity before then.
GTITAN, Gerbs, writerguyfl and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
  1. I envision domestic F disappearing altogether and switched over to coach. Two domestic F seats are too close to each other
  3. International J still around but will be re-arranged to accommodate spacing (lower number of J seats available forget every getting one with instruments)
Thoughts?
Not profitable, so it will not happen
jhartvu likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:08 am

I think passengers getting masks and shields prior to boarding is likely. Basically wrap flyers in PPE.
It may be that all people need to get tested prior to flying a few days before flying - with approval (negative test) inputted in the airline system.
In other words - a very dynamic no fly list.

Basically, everyone goes on the no fly list - and you have to submit data for temporary authorization to fly.

With Apple and Google developing apps to track people you come with 6 feet of anyone and identify that person. Then if someone becomes positive the whole chain gets on the no fly list. You pass a stranger within 6 feet who is positive then get blacklisted.

Apple and Google are working this now. Uses bluetooth from you phone to communicate with everyone you cross paths with.

Last edited by cova; Apr 15, 2020 at 11:25 am
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by cova
It may be that all people need to get tested prior to flying a few days before flying - with approval (negative test) inputted in the airline system.

Basically, everyone goes on the no fly list - and you have to submit data for temporary authorization to fly.
Not a chance of this happening. And if it did, it would kill the airline business.
roadtriper, jhartvu and AA100k like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
You can bet your butt that AA (and all other airlines) will cut capacity with the goal of a butt in every seat. Health concerns will quickly be forgotten by airline management.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:29 pm

Cargo flight thoughs

I was just checking flightaware randomly and noticed AA started flying Cargo to ICN from Lax. AAL 9429. Interesting. I don't know if that actually was a cargo flight or a test flight. If travel comes back which will be a while do you think this maybe a 2nd route to icn? Just a question while sitting at home
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Hyatt Gold Passport Continental FF Southwest FF Delta FF
Flying isn't the only problem. When you fly you generally have to stay in hotels and eat at restaurants. As a 76. year old with a 75 year old wife, I can't see flying in our future until a vaccine becomes available.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Not in MY America!

I think passengers getting masks and shields prior to boarding is likely. Basically wrap flyers in PPE.

With Apple and Google developing apps to track people you come with 6 feet of anyone and identify that person. Then if someone becomes positive the whole chain gets on the no fly list. You pass a stranger within 6 feet who is positive then get blacklisted.

Apple and Google are working this now. Uses bluetooth from you phone to communicate with everyone you cross paths with.
WOW! getting down on my Knees and Praying YOU are wrong, and then heading out into the Shop and running my Cell Phone through the Brush Chipper! RT
jmrp likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by roadtriper
WOW! getting down on my Knees and Praying YOU are wrong, and then heading out into the Shop and running my Cell Phone through the Brush Chipper! RT
Apple and Google working on App to do contact tracing (within 6 feet) is true. Now whether they link that to the no fly list is just a thought - a possible "envision" as per the thread title.

The Media and medical experts are stating that only way to contain this is mass testing and contact tracing, the app facilities contact tracing.

I can tell you that people who needed to come home from the original cruise ship issue (Diamond Princess in Japan) who did not come home on the US charter, were added to the No Fly List, even though approved to travel by Japanese Health Ministry. They had to get testing and submit twice daily temperatures to CDC for 2 weeks to get off the No Fly List. And even with that they needed paper work to show the airlines. It could come to that.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:11 pm

https://www.theverge.com/interface/2...antine-testing

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...us-app-privacy
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Both of my flights today (MIA/DFW, DFW/PHX) were packed in both cabins. The PHX flight was far more paxs than crew and full of old frail people. I believe that now that airlines have gotten the free dough from the Fed "Social distancing" is out the window. Except for the downgrade in F service.

You can damn bet with cutting capacity by nearly 90% whatever flights are flying will be packed to the gills, social distancing be damn, again except for cutting back on F service. I just wish AA would at least reopen the ACs.

As a side note on the PHX flight the F FA claimed they had no ice. A FA came up from Y and when told his rolled his eyes and went back to Y to get ice. Welcome to the new normal.
asnovici and brewdog11 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
+1. My thought exactly.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:11 pm

Thoughts?
my thoughts are none of these will even REMOTELY happen.

more than 2 million people have confirmed positive for the virus. That's just that we know of. Probably millions more already have had it or have it and don't feel anything.
Those millions of people weren't just people sitting in an airplane seat. They were sitting at the doctors office, on the bus, at the ball game, in the theater, in school, at the grocery store, in the restaurant, in your uber, etc. Tons of places. People will just have to decide how much risk they want to tolerate to leave their house and what they do, but it's not like an airplane is worse off than any of these other things just because it's a plane. You're not sicker on an airplane than any of those other places that can infect you.

No airline is going to be changing where the seats are physically in the plane. You'll have to decide what if any kind of mask you're going to wear in all of those places. Personally I won't be masking up everywhere, but I'm not old. Maybe the oldsters and compromised immunity folks will wear masks out in public the rest of their lives everywhere they go, but the airlines aren't going to get a 30-50% premium on each flight which they'd need to rip out 33-50% of its seats just to get what they got for $ pre-virus, vaccine or not.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:26 am

There is NO WAY that is going to happen (imho)...

The App being developed (at least from what was in the news), will be a "self-reporting" process...where anyone can say they have it, with no proof...that will NOT work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.