Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uxb

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status — link

$1 spent on eligible AAdvantageŽ credit cards equals 1 mile toward Million MilerSM status

We’re introducing a limited-time promotion to help you reach Million Miler℠ status and receive benefits like elite status. For all eligible Citi / AAdvantageŽ and AAdvantageŽ Aviator products, as well as select AAdvantageŽ credit cards outside the U.S., every dollar spent on net purchases that post between May 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020, will count as 1 mile toward Million Miler℠ status.

NOTE (see lsquare below): Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s accountbetween May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

NOTE (by uxb): Miles reported from a statement period that includes December 2020 WILL count towards Million Miler status AND the 2021 EQD waiver.

NOTE 2 (by Wiki editor): Bonus AAdvantage miles for new credit card acquisition do not count toward Million Miler status - only miles earned by actual spend on net purchases will count, only through 31 December 2020. Bonus miles - AA shopping portal miles at 20 miles per dollar - would seem to count only as $1.00 = 1 MM mile, but this was given indirectly by View From The Wing.

An AA email states:

Footnote 1 includes:

"Purchases, less credits, returns and adjustments, made with your CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ, AAdvantageŽAviatorŽ Silver, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Red, AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽ Blue, and AAdvantageŽ AviatorŽBusiness credit card that post to your AAdvantageŽ account, between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020, are eligible for the one mile per dollar spent toward Million MilerSM status. AAdvantageŽ bonus miles and additional miles earned through other promotional offers will not count toward Million MilerSM status. Million MilerSM postings will occur between 8 to 10 weeks of the cardmembers purchases posting to their AAdvantage account."
From View From The Wing - link
  • Earn rate. The offer says you earn 1 million mile status mile per dollar spent, however where you earn more than 1 mile per dollar for your spending, you earn more than 1 million miler mile too. So when you spend on American Airlines tickets, you earn at a rate greater than $1 = 1 mile.
  • New card initial bonus offers do not count. So while there are generous bonus offers available for new AAdvantage cards, those up front bonus offers won’t help you gain million mile status quickly.
  • Other promotional bonus offers do not count either, for instance Citi is currently offering bonus points for online purchases, only the base earning wound count nad not the bonus.
  • Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s account between May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.

Eligible credit cards for this promo: (to be filled in as we learn) - ALL AAdvantage miles directly earning cards qualify.

Originally Posted by cat22
I contacted the Advantage desk and was told all cards that currently earn miles will be eligible.

Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Card Spend Qualifying for Million Miler 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Here is what they say on AA's website:
Newsroom - American Airlines Thanks its Frequent Fliers with Extended Elite Status and Other Rewards - American Airlines Group, Inc.

$1 spent on eligible AAdvantage credit cards equals 1 mile toward Million Miler status

For all CitiŽ/AAdvantage and AAdvantage AviatorŽ products, as well as select AAdvantage credit cards outside of the United States, every dollar spent on net purchases that post to your AAdvantage account between May and December 2020 will count as one mile toward Million Miler status.

I interpret this to mean credit card sign up bonuses do not count. Too bad, because that might be enough to convince me to sign up.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by Jor
I have 926,074 miles toward AA MM program I earned mostly using a qualifying AA Visa Card prior to 2011 before credit card purchases were disqualified. I'm looking for a creative way of earning the remaining 75k miles over the next 8 months AA has allowed qualifying AA card purchases to apply to MM.

I currently average around $5-6k/month spend on a Costco Visa card which I pay off monthly. I also have a $3.4k/mo mortgage payment. I'm not sure if I can pay off the mortgage with a credit card, but that would put me in striking distance of the $9735/mo I'd need to spend before the end of the year to make it to the MM promise land.

I'm not asking for purchase recommendations, I can think of those on my own. I'm hoping someone has a hail Mary plan for MM status given this window of opportunity.
As mentioned, Plastiq is probably the easiest way to rack up 30K via mortgage payments.

The spending on your costco visa every month, is that ALL at costco or at various other businesses in addition to Costco?
If a significant chunk is at costco, you could purchases Visa debit GC to use at Costco. Extra step but you still get AA miles out of it

Other ideas:
Adjust FITW and then pay taxes via CC (you could even overpay and then get a refund from the Feds)
Shift more purchases from consumer stores to online + pickup in store (Lowes, Target, Safeway, etc.)
If you'd care to adventure into Manufactured Spending land, that is a pretty easy way to rack up at least a few $K per month. Although, with limited store opening / social distancing recommendations right now, it may not be the best option. I am limiting my MS practices to when I am already headed to that store for a purchase besides the money order.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:40 pm

You are a fool if you think next year they will not devalue lifetime Plat and Gold again.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:05 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
As far as Costco, you can buy Costco Cash cards online with any type of card (not just Visa) and use them in-store.
Any type of card EXCEPT AMEX (now).
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:18 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by Centurion
You are a fool if you think next year they will not devalue lifetime Plat and Gold again.
Being a 4mm lifetime Plat I do not much have a horse in this race, but I applaud AA for a little bone-throwing to their token-seeking customers on travel hiatus. If nothing else to keep people engaged in this goofy mileage addiction. Yes, I get they are trying to sell miles to fill their coffers, but we clearly do not benefit from AA going under, so I am in AA’s corner on this. So, “fool” is perhaps a tad harsh.

The greenbacks under your mattress devalue and it takes more money to fly most routes than in years past, so status and value of miles will devalue as well. That said, LT gold and plat will continue to have value. As an added earning perk this enhancement will be welcomed by some, particularly those no longer seeking spending thresholds for hotel status that has now been grandfathered.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
This is great news for me. I am at 1.93m miles, just need 70k more mile to get lifetime Platinum. I was going to hit it in January 2021 with trips planned, which soon after I would be retiring. I was hoping to have that in my back pocket for retirement, then the virus struck. Now there is hope with 8 months of CC spend plus BIS miles should get me quite close to 2m miles.
JDiver, renila, sdsearch and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I’m currently waiting on a flight cancellation refund hitting my Citi Exec card. That will amount to around $2K being credited to my account, so I’m expecting 4K redeemable miles to leave my AAdvatange account as they were earned at a 2X rate. Knowing AA IT, they will probably dock me 2K Miles from my MM total as the card currently has a zero balance before the refund hits!
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Centurion
What was it like before?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just read the following:

Statement close dates, not spending dates, matter. Miles reported and posted to a member’s account between May and December will count towards this offer. So purchases made in April but reported in May will count, while purchases in December that are part of a statement closing and reporting in January will not count.
Does Citi make it easy to change the statement close dates? If I change the statement closing date to December 31st, I'm assuming all spending up to December 30th will count, but not December 31st since that is when Citi report to the bureaus?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
After benefiting from a couple AA Web Special award tickets to Europe, I was contemplating moving spend to my Aviator card. This just make that decision much easier. I am sitting at 1.557 lifetime miles so while it will give me a bump, I am still long way off from LT Plat.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot to ask if spending from the accelerating categories count? For example, the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select offers 2x on AA purchases and on dining. Will 2 miles per dollar counts toward Million Miler status or it's still only 1 mile per dollar?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:22 am

Citi will likely cite this as a 'perk' when people call to cancel or negotiate a lower annual fee given loss of travel benefits for the foreseeable future.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dave_261
Citi will likely cite this as a 'perk' when people call to cancel or negotiate a lower annual fee given loss of travel benefits for the foreseeable future.
It's a perk for some
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by lsquare
I forgot to ask if spending from the accelerating categories count? For example, the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select offers 2x on AA purchases and on dining. Will 2 miles per dollar counts toward Million Miler status or it's still only 1 mile per dollar?
Ive heard from some other sources for MM it will strictly be 1.0 MM mile per dollar spent. I hope we will get official verification of that soon.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:31 am
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
If I apply for the Citi AA Platinum and hit the signup bonus do I get 60,000 miles towards Million Miller?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.