Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE of 2015-2019 posts on this topic.

For current thread, please see here.

AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese:

English (Ingls)
 1-800-433-7300
 7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
 6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 das a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
 (for hearing impaired or deaf people /
 para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014)
[/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware Misery Map (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of involuntary reroute

Link to archive of this thread, posts 2015-2019

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Called the Platinum line today, and was told I would receive a call back within 33 to 41 minutes.

Instead of that ETA window, my call was returned in 56 minutes.

But to my further frustration, the callback system would not recognize my pressing #1 to speak to an agent, or pressing #2 for more time.

Instead, I was hung up upon by the system saying no more time was remaining.

Called AA back on a landline and after 10 minutes of being on hold, my cell phone rang again with the automated AA callback system.

This time, the system actually recognized me pressing #1 to talk to an agent.

This new phone system and handling of calls is beyond awful.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Originally Posted by Max M
Called the Platinum line today, and was told I would receive a call back within 33 to 41 minutes.

Instead of that ETA window, my call was returned in 56 minutes.

But to my further frustration, the callback system would not recognize my pressing #1 to speak to an agent, or pressing #2 for more time.

Instead, I was hung up upon by the system saying no more time was remaining.

Called AA back on a landline and after 10 minutes of being on hold, my cell phone rang again with the automated AA callback system.

This time, the system actually recognized me pressing #1 to talk to an agent.

This new phone system and handling of calls is beyond awful.
Same here when AA called me back after a two-hour wait!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:36 pm

Called on Thursday and requested a call back... that happened 2 hours and 5 minutes later.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by imverge
Called on Thursday and requested a call back... that happened 2 hours and 5 minutes later.
Called yesterday, was recognized, said "agent!" and a couple of minutes later was speaking to an EP agent.

Unfortunately, the agent seemed to have poor comprehension or was distracted, had considerable difficulty understanding my issue and shunted me off to one of the new and hopeless "I'll read my canned spiel to you" Filipino contract "Web Services" phone jockeys.

I eventually was able to resolve my issue myself (thinking back, I suspect a web glitch on their end, and in the interim the glitch went away).

I can only imagine how even more frustrating it must bento get this kind of disservice after hours of waiting!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Contrast with UA

No such issues at United, though I've been demoted to Gold (Plat equivalent) due to the PQD requirement. I call frequently and get through immediately to a U.S. agent - and there must be IRROPS going on at certain times.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Explore
No such issues at United, though I've been demoted to Gold (Plat equivalent) due to the PQD requirement. I call frequently and get through immediately to a U.S. agent - and there must be IRROPS going on at certain times.
I hear the CO / UA merger was entirely trouble free... with ensuing massive displays of appreciation and jubilation.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I've been in the states for the last month and a half, so able to be recognised and/or called back. I'm still finding the system hit or miss--sometimes it recognises me, others not. Sometimes I get an EXP agent, others not. And even when reaching the EXP desk, I'm not always getting people who sound keen (willing, even) to help. Definitely a change in service level at the moment, whether this will improve when the bulk of the hard merger stuff is over...
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
I've never waited more than 2 minutes when calling the EP line. In fact the longest delay when calling is that stupid computer asking me for my AAdvantage #. One would think the system could recognize me by my caller ID, like the old system was able to.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
I've never waited more than 2 minutes when calling the EP line.
Your unusual personal experience notwithstanding, wait times for EP line are routinely, increasingly and manifestly much longer with more and more frequency.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
I've never waited more than 2 minutes when calling the EP line. In fact the longest delay when calling is that stupid computer asking me for my AAdvantage #. One would think the system could recognize me by my caller ID, like the old system was able to.
It does sound like you've had good luck getting an agent. As for the caller ID, it has worked for me. The new "trick" is it will only recognize a cellular number (true cellular, not a land-line, or VoIP number ported to cellular) if that is in your profile and that's the number you're calling from.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
...The new "trick" is it will only recognize a cellular number (true cellular, not a land-line, or VoIP number ported to cellular) if that is in your profile and that's the number you're calling from.
And, importantly, to clear it from being associated with any other person/account in any way (which is the case in many of these instances.)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Just a random data point in case anyone is keeping track: I just called the regular number at about 12:35 CDT and after the obligatory preamble said "agent" and was talking to a human being in less than a minute. Things are pretty quiet at the moment but it was still a surprise.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
And, importantly, to clear it from being associated with any other person/account in any way (which is the case in many of these instances.)
well that explains it, another AAdvantrage acct was using my # as well.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Current hold time being quoted by the Platinum Desk: 1hr25 to 1hr55. I'm awaiting a call back right now
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Current hold time being quoted by the Platinum Desk: 1hr25 to 1hr55. I'm awaiting a call back right now
The thunderstorms at ORD probably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.