Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Alaska Airlines is expected join the oneworld Alliance as a full member summer 2021 end of 2020, pending regulatory approval*.
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 25 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
*The implementation of the expanded relationship and other arrangements described herein is subject to the negotiation and execution of definitive documentation and governmental review.

link to earning EQM, EQD, EQS and Award Miles flying Alaska Airlines as AS marketed flights. (If flying as AA marketed flight (codeshare), earnings are as if flying AA.) As of April 1, 2020.

Seattle’s first-ever direct flight to BLR will be available for purchase later this month, with daily flights beginning October 2020. Daily service between SEA and LHR will be available for purchase in May 2020 for flights starting March 2021.

link to full release, 13 Feb 2020

Alaska Airlines route map (including Virgin America)

Print Wikipost

Alaska / AS joining oneworld 31 Mar 2021, AA launching SEA-BLR/LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:54 am

I didn’t see this coming.

Interesting for sure. I don’t think this will shift any of my DL business but it will pretty much eliminate where I’ve been using UA.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by enviroian
This is great news. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it only a year or so ago when AA nixed any mileage earning benefits on AS flights?

I wonder how elite benefits will be shared. Nice to know I'll have alternate options to fly dfw-sea now.
To me this is good and bad. Good to see AA not lose another partner and to see a non-stop flight to my native town (wish it were DFW-BLR). Good about mixing carriers on one award or using partners outside of the US.

Bad about what might happen to the excellent stopover policy for one-ways or the partnership with EK.

Still dumbfounded on these developments. Checked todays date several times. Looks like AA wanted to hit back at DL for the shock announcement of LA.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Seems like a serious gut punch to Delta and UA. If the tie-up is as close as the old US/US star alliance it’s a huge win for AA fliers in so many more markets than just out West. Makes AA and One World a clear #1 at LAX.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Acid
Imtetesting choice to fly SEA-BLR. I hope they can make it work. I feel eventually Vistara will partner with AA & DL too(they already announced codeshare with UA) similar to the Jet Airways model.
Vistara is so lockstep with SQ, they can’t really even go to the bathroom without permission. So it’s up to whatever SQ wants, and the UA codeshare makes sense.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Of course not, just like you cannot combine 10k BA Avios + 15k AA miles for a single 25k AA award.

The comment is pretty self explanatory, effective immediately you can redeem AS miles on AA flights.
It wasn't self explanatory to me - thus my question. But I do appreciate your response. Sorry we're not all as well versed as you'd like.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Seems like a serious gut punch to Delta and UA. If the tie-up is as close as the old US/US star alliance it’s a huge win for AA fliers in so many more markets than just out West. Makes AA and One World a clear #1 at LAX.
And, AS is in T6 at LAX, so with AA in 4 and 5, one can walk between 4-5-6 as well as Bradley.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Nowhere in the announcement does it state "[a]ccess 650 lounges within the oneworld network as an MVP Gold or Gold 75k member on a domestic flight" AA uses the same 650 lounge access language, as is standard. Every carrier's announcement has the caveat of being on a qualifying flight, you're significantly over-parsing the language and drawing unwarranted assumptions.
Am willing to bet that AS properly qualifies this broad statement in the time to come.

For what it is worth, AA expressly includes the words, "qualifying itinerary".

There is no such thing as "over-parses". One either reads the plain English meaning of the words or not.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Very interesting. I do expect a number of AS non-OW partners to fall off though.

For miles or elite benefits sharing this seems like a return to the old days before the VX transaction? I do wish also they would have accelerated the elite baggage and boarding benefits, but miles accrual isn't bad assuming AA also does it soon for AS flights.

However, I feel this is more of a temporary plan until AA can acquire AS. Also, seems to be there will be some risk on long term supply and pricing issues for some other West Coast routes to places like NY, Hawaii and Mexico. Which to me indicates that Southwest's expansion really helped make this partnership come back alive.

The OW aspect was the biggest surprise.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by razzaba
Vistara is so lockstep with SQ, they can’t really even go to the bathroom without permission. So it’s up to whatever SQ wants, and the UA codeshare makes sense.
SQ and UA do not get along at all. UK's decision to codeshare was likely made based on the market and what UK needed to grow.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by razzaba
But Vistara is now cooperating with JAL when SQ has just announced a joint venture with ANA
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
AA has never had a major presence across the northwest. This plugs that gap in a major way.

I really wonder how long this has been in the works? Did AA dissolve the old Alaska partnership solely to leverage Alaska into better terms for this new one? Or is this only an opportunistic response to the Delta/LATAM thing...
wrp96, LovePrunes and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by gm6008
But Vistara is now cooperating with JAL when SQ has just announced a joint venture with ANA
interesting. My experience has been more from a backend system/IT perspective, so perhaps there is some autonomy allowed operationally.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
I almost think this is a huge maskirovka on the part of AA. The 2018 “breakdown” of the AA/AS relationship, and discussing how India flights are unprofitable and saying in jest that they would fly to India too (in response to DL’s ambiguous statement on restarting “India flights” without any specific route at the time). Only to then start *new* ultra and long haul service out of a non-hub/focus city focused mostly on O&D - when AA has stuck to the cornerstone + phl/clt for so long.

the only AA long hauls I can think of that aren’t out of a hub are rdu-lhr and the newly restarting bos-lhr (which are both fairly routine and non-innovative tatl routes). and there was that denied request recently for a slot for LAS-HND which was way out of left field.

Doug and Vasu trying to Make AA Great AAgain, I like it.
platbrownguy and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
Thumbs up I'm happy

Originally Posted by joeyE
AA has never had a major presence across the northwest. This plugs that gap in a major way.

I really wonder how long this has been in the works? Did AA dissolve the old Alaska partnership solely to leverage Alaska into better terms for this new one? Or is this only an opportunistic response to the Delta/LATAM thing...
As a Seattle-based AAdvantage member, I am thrilled with this announcement. We sometimes have had to take very long routings from SEA to earn AAdvantage miles. Having AS as an option again is great. I'm also looking forward to being able to fly from PAE and earn AAdvantage miles.
logicalrealist likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: hahaha
Small victory: YEG finally connected back to the oneworld network via AS! 🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

(ever since AA left here without sign of returning!)
logicalrealist, wrp96 and SKYEG like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.