Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cleaning crew theft of wallet left in seat pocket on AA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning crew theft of wallet left in seat pocket on AA flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020 | 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by arttravel
So did the cleaner confess to taking the cash? .
The OP did state that the cleaner confessed to the police
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 6:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I know one time when my wallet was stolen and I recovered it minus the cash, the police told me the only way I could prove the issue is if I had written the serial numbers of the bills and could offer them.

Was the cleaner in fact an employee under the supervision and control of American Airlines, or the employee of a contractor?

I’m failing to see any remedy due from AA here, personally.
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 7:02 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eeknight
Not one of their reps has sincerely apologized much less acknowledge the loss was their fault via their employee they failed to properly screen.
You don't know this. Just because someone who likely makes minimum wage found and kept cash in a seat pocket does not mean that same person would have a criminal record. Also, AA offered you $100. That seems very generous given the circumstances.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 7:37 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The OP did state that the cleaner confessed to the police
I may have misread the post but I thought the cleaner confessed to the attempt to use one of the cards --

From the OP

"they tried to make a purchase with my card, the police investigated, and when confronted with the evidence that the attempted purchase matched the name and address of the cleaning crew person, they confessed to the officer on record."

This sounds like an attempt to purchase something online -- why else would there be an address for the cleaning person?
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 8:08 pm
30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Just a peon
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
I am not intending to pile on here, but who puts their wallet in a seat-back pocket? A laptop - sure. An iPad - sure. But a wallet? When I fly international I lock my wallet and passport - anything important - in my carry-on luggage. But domestic? My wallet can stay in my jeans no problem. Take AA's voucher and consider it a lesson learned.
Just out of curiosity, why can't your wallet stay in your jeans if you're flying international?
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by arttravel
I may have misread the post but I thought the cleaner confessed to the attempt to use one of the cards --
I read it that the cleaner confessed to stealing the waller , which would implicittly cover any contents of the wallet. Unless the person confessed to an amount of money stolen, I don't think that recovery chances are high - but wouldn't class it as impossible that the person gave full details about the theft.

The OP shoudl know what was formally admitted and be able to take action accordingly
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Just out of curiosity, why can't your wallet stay in your jeans if you're flying international?
If I have the misfortune to be on an overnight flight, then items in pockets make lying down and sleeping more uncomfortable.
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
It can be uncomfortable to lie down and sleep with a big wallet in your pants.

I once left my wallet in a little “cubby” in the inside armrest of a first class seat (this was on Continental). Again, sitting on a long flight (I think it was LAS-EWR), I don’t want to keep my wallet in my pants for comfort reasons. I think I realized shortly after deplaning but it was too late.
Anyway, the wallet turned up at lost & found a day or two later and CO mailed it to me at my expense. Of course the cash was missing, but everything else intact. I think that’s more the SOP. Kind of idiotic for the cleaning person to attempt to use the credit card, moreso for an online purchase with his address. 🤦‍♂️

I suppose OP could try to take AA to court (small claims), but I would think the chance of winning is quite small. Take the voucher and take responsibility.
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 8:44 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I know one time when my wallet was stolen and I recovered it minus the cash, the police told me the only way I could prove the issue is if I had written the serial numbers of the bills and could offer them.

Was the cleaner in fact an employee under the supervision and control of American Airlines, or the employee of a contractor?

I’m failing to see any remedy due from AA here, personally.
IANAL, so hoping one can maybe chime in on this, but generally why wouldn’t the company have any liability for the performance of its contractors? Aren’t they acting as agents of AA in this case? With that being said, I’m assuming that there is an agreement between the 2 firms assigning liability with one in the event of criminal activity.
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 8:45 pm

how much cash was supposedly in the wallet? how much was the wallet supposedly worth?
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 8:52 pm
50 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thelark
IANAL, so hoping one can maybe chime in on this, but generally why wouldn’t the company have any liability for the performance of its contractors? Aren’t they acting as agents of AA in this case? With that being said, I’m assuming that there is an agreement between the 2 firms assigning liability with one in the event of criminal activity.
I think they would, but probably not in this situation. AA was not a "bailee" in that they didn't accept custody of the OP's wallet. The OP essentially abandoned his item in the seatback pocket where there was no agreement for AA to safeguard it. If the cleaning contractor inadvertently tripped the OP and caused him bodily harm as he was deplaning, AA and the contractor would absolutely have some liability.

I had something similar happen to me 20+ years ago - left my wallet in the cupholder of a Hertz rental at LAS. Realized it about 10 min later, went back, the vehicle was still in the line to be cleaned/processed, but my wallet was missing. Called to cancel the credit cards and one of them (Chevron card) was already used. Lesson learned. I also thought the cleaning crews at rental agencies and airplanes must have an abundance of lost items - I've known a few people who left iPads on airplanes in the seatback pocket and they've never turned up. Either they're being tossed out or someone seems to know how to fence them.
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 8:52 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AA,UA,AS
You'd probably have a greater success of following up with the cleaning contractor that AA uses. After all the contractor was responsible for that employee. AA in good faith gave you a voucher I wouldn't expect anything else, especially an admission of guilt.
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 9:23 pm
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I assume anything I leave on board is gone. I'm on like my 6th Kindle.
SS255, enviroian, jcatman and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 10:07 pm

I am a little curious why the cleaner isn’t facing criminal charges for credit card fraud, but only lost their job?

Or was this implied but not stated?
mctaste likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020 | 10:12 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by mctaste
how much cash was supposedly in the wallet? how much was the wallet supposedly worth?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.