Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cleaning crew theft of wallet left in seat pocket on AA flight

Cleaning crew theft of wallet left in seat pocket on AA flight

Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Of course not, but that was never the claim in this case. The OP’s complaint was that AA’s response ($100 and go to court on your own) was not enough. I simply agreed with that. Nowhere did anyone request $5000 or even $500. You're taking the argument out of context.
The OP seemingly had no proof of the exact amount alleged to be stolen, so why is $100 not enough for something that (a) cannot be proved - it seems and (b) does not seem to be soemthing that the airline could be held liable for

Even if (b) was incorrect and the airline is liable, the person still would have to prove the loss

$100 without substantiation seems a pretty generous offer to me
Antarius and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
The only people who use telephone booths these days are you and Superman. So its no surprise your wallet was safe
It's not just Superman, Deadpool also uses phonebooths and he is a bit more of an unsavory character, and never carries a wallet for the cab rides, so you are not 100% safe, lol...

Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:02 pm

Amen... the only thing I put in the seat back pocket are the newspapers that I get before the flight -- and I take those off the plane afterwards to dispose in the recycling bin as I don't trust the airline recycling "program."

When I go to sleep on a flight, I transfer my wallet to a front pocket -- cell phone and passport go in the other front pocket of my pants. I would NEVER put them locked up in a carry-on bag as some have suggested here. What if there's an evacuation and you can't take your carry-on with you? To be sure, some people do the latter...
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
When I go to sleep on a flight, I transfer my wallet to a front pocket -- cell phone and passport go in the other front pocket of my pants. I would NEVER put them locked up in a carry-on bag as some have suggested here. What if there's an evacuation and you can't take your carry-on with you? To be sure, some people do the latter...
This is fine in economy, but in lie flat J you have to get all that stuff out of your pockets and get comfy, what's the point of international J otherwise. Forget the evacuation emergency, extremely rare and if that happens you have bigger problems, you don't worry about these things. Phone you have to keep on or near you all the time usually, the rest is not needed.
Antarius and laagima like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nk15
This is fine in economy, but in lie flat J you have to get all that stuff out of your pockets and get comfy, what's the point of international J otherwise. Forget the evacuation emergency, extremely rare and if that happens you have bigger problems, you don't worry about these things. Phone you have to keep on or near you all the time usually, the rest is not needed.
Yea.. I don't plan for the plane crashing when I place my stuff. If I did, I guess I would never sleep, never remove my shoes, never drink...
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
I would NEVER put them locked up in a carry-on bag as some have suggested here. What if there's an evacuation and you can't take your carry-on with you? .
You make decisions about where to put your wallet on a flight where the core principle is avoiding getting a replacement driver's license if your plane crashes?
Antarius and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
20 years

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
The only people who use telephone booths these days are you and Superman. So its no surprise your wallet was safe
this was 20 years back
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Somewhere in Japan, a person is reading this and weeping.
It wouldn't happen in Norway either.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Gynob001
this was 20 years back
Even 20 yrs ago everyone had one of these in their pocket:

Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Antarius
If the OP had been staying at a hotel and someone accessed his room and stole his wallet, I would be more inclined to agree that the hotel should make him whole, include bending over backwards. However, the OP left their wallet in the public domain - a airplane seat isn't materially any different than leaving it on a mall bench; I would not expect Simon Malls to compensate me in any way if I did so.
Growing up in the hotel industry, this is not correct. Hotels are also not responsible for lost items. However, there is the exact same nexus of liability. AA owns the plane so it's the same liability. A plane is not public domain, nor is a mall bench either as they are both privately owned and there is some nexus of liability as every general liability insurance policy we have ever had has an amount of coverage for such events.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Beachfun71
I never said that I expect more from one or the other; I only said that I believe AA has responsibility in this case.

I am completely supportive of the ideas of: “learning experience”; “OPs fault”; “shouldn’t leave a wallet in the back seat pocket”; etc. When I lost my Bose headphones, I blamed no one but myself. In fact, I never suspected an employee, but rather, I just assumed another passenger grabbed them as they were on their way off the plane.

However, in this case presented in this thread, it is proven that the cleaner took the wallet. Not only did they take it, they knowingly attempted theft by using the credit card and they possibly committed theft by taking whatever cash was in the wallet. There is no doubt about this, and there is a police record to verify it.

In my previous post I said AA should be held responsible. I will revise that to say the employer of this thief should stand up and make amends to the situation. And of course responsibility lies with the criminal that grabbed the wallet in the first place. REGARDLESS of the carelessness of the owner of that wallet.

So maybe ABC Cleaning Company fired their criminal employee. Maybe then AA should also fire their cleaning contractor. I don’t know... I just don’t think that we should even be hearing about this right now.

I have been in a service industry for 20 years where my employees are in people’s homes and businesses, and temptation exists all the time. Often we are tasked with throwing away personal items and valuables that are deemed damaged beyond repair, but we hold a zero tolerance policy forbidding salvage or otherwise removal of goods that were designated for disposal. If this happened under my roof, with this level of proof, I would be doing anything and everything possible to make the OP so happy that he would never be posting a story like this, other than to say what a great experience he had with my company.

**On a side note... I do not hold Bose as the “gold standard”, but my wife spent a lot of money on the set she bought me for Christmas a couple years ago. So when I did eventually lose them, it was a big deal to me, and rather than confess to her, I went out and bought a new, identical set.
Well put. I completely understand this point of view and think that's where the intent should be versus the lack of compassion shown to the OP by AA.

And I hope your wife doesn't read FT or your secret is out!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:45 pm

I keep everything on my person--everything. Hence cargo pants loaded down with so much that sometimes they are falling down from the weight, lol. Look! Free moon shot!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SamirD
Well put. I completely understand this point of view and think that's where the intent should be versus the lack of compassion shown to the OP by AA.

And I hope your wife doesn't read FT or your secret is out!
They offered him $100. How much compassion should they show, all of what he claims to have lost?
Imagine what would happen if word of that got out........ There would be a lot of stolen wallets
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
They offered him $100. How much compassion should they show...
Wow, so $100 thrown in someone's face is what you would define as compassion? Is that the measure of human compassion--dollars?

Here's a hint to how real compassion works--it doesn't have a price, and is measured in how you empathize with another human being, which in terms of monetary cost (and even business cost) is relatively cheap.

And this is why the $100 AA compensation from AA fell short in this customer service case. A better job by the CSR to empathize, listen, and then offer the compensation would have gone much further. I've seen this in call center environments being on the other end of the phone at one point myself (and apparently very good at it from my quick promotions). The focusing on service level, number of calls taken, average call resolution and other KPIs really makes for a cold environment where CSR will not want to take the time to truly resolve an issue vs get someone off the phone. And this is all AA and training.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Cell phones didn't look like that in the year 2000.
The Nokia 3210 had been released in 1999

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.