Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is about AA policies and related issues pertaining to COVID-19 aka “Wuhan 2019-nCoV” Coronavirus outbreak.

NOTE: Current AA Travel Advisory covers (others may yet come):
China
Hong Kong SAR
Italy
South Korea

Link to AA travel alerts

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland and Hong Kong ... Teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. AA will continue to evaluate the schedule to make any adjustments as necessary.

AA has extended cancellations as follows as of Friday, February 14:

Flights between DFW and LAX and PEK (Beijing) and PVG (Shanghai Pudong) are suspended through April 24.

Flights between DFW and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 23.

Flights between LAX and HKG (Hong Kong) are suspended through April 24.

Link

IATA Timatic listing of global restrictions for airbpassengers who have been in China or transited China...

“CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) - UPDATE 02.02.2020
28 January 2020In connection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCov) outbreak in China (People's Rep.), the following changes have been published in Timatic (02.02.2020):
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm”

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 AA paid & award China et al cancel / change / questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I had a hard time getting a reroute a few days ago, but sorted it out. I was flying JFK-LAX-HKG-TPE in Feb, with the first two on AA and last on CX. I called to reroute via NRT on JL. The first agent put me on hold on and off for 20 (!) minutes and eventually told me that my trip wasn't eligible because it contained one segment operated by CX. I noted that the language of the travel waiver said nothing that all flights must be operated by AA, and I asked where he could find a copy of the policy that held these restrictions. He eventually transferred me to someone else (in web services I think he said?) and the second agent made the change. Second rep was awesome BTW, of the sort I used to get on the EXP desk but don't encounter on AA as much anymore.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:05 pm

31-JAN AA 127 DFW-PVG has already been cancelled.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I have an AAdvantage milesaver award on Cathay Pacific from PEK-HKG-YYZ for May 6, 2020 returning home for a cruise that was scheduled to land in Shanghai May 02. Princess has since announce that our final port will now be Tokyo and will no longer visit Shanghai. I called American asking if I could change the departure city to NRT or HND. I was told they could not help me because I am flying Cathay and Cathay cannot help me because it is an AAdvantage award. I need the lie flat seat for medical reasons and cannot afford to pay 8600 x 2 for a Biz Class to get home. I cannot cancel the original flight because there is no award space inventory available on any airline leaving the Tokyo area for me to use the miles after doing a redeposit.

I really dont wish to take up involuntary landed immigrant/refugee status in Tokyo. Do any of the FF; veterans have any suggestions how to extricate myself from this mess. Cancelling the cruise or the other 3.5 weeks traveling the rest of Asia is not an option.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chauffeurboy
I have an AAdvantage milesaver award on Cathay Pacific from PEK-HKG-YYZ for May 6, 2020 returning home for a cruise that was scheduled to land in Shanghai May 02. Princess has since announce that our final port will now be Tokyo and will no longer visit Shanghai. I called American asking if I could change the departure city to NRT or HND. I was told they could not help me because I am flying Cathay and Cathay cannot help me because it is an AAdvantage award. I need the lie flat seat for medical reasons and cannot afford to pay 8600 x 2 for a Biz Class to get home. I cannot cancel the original flight because there is no award space inventory available on any airline leaving the Tokyo area for me to use the miles after doing a redeposit.

I really dont wish to take up involuntary landed immigrant/refugee status in Tokyo. Do any of the FF; veterans have any suggestions how to extricate myself from this mess. Cancelling the cruise or the other 3.5 weeks traveling the rest of Asia is not an option.
You can wait for TYO-HKG award space to open on JL or CX which it likely will at some point before May or you can call and ask AA to cancel the PEK-HKG part of the trip but leave the HKG-YYZ in tact. Then buy a one way from TYO to HKG. Shouldn’t be too much coin if you’re willing to tough out 4 hours in economy.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:25 am

HKG-LAX-JFK

I arrived in Hong Kong and hold an Economy MileSAAver award HKG-LAX-JFK to return home at the end of Feb. In light of the State Dept.'s elevated warning to cut all non-essential travel to the region and AA's travel waiver now covering HKG, I checked the legacy award search and see HKG-LAX-JFK available on AA in the next few days to come home as soon as possible, but the phone agent couldn't see the phantom space. Ugh. I then asked about CX/AS flying the same route, and she also saw nothing. I agreed as a result to change my award return ticket to Feb 14 (the earliest AA flights she saw).

I then went online and saw that the agent was incorrect and the CX/AS award is actually available, so I put it on hold to make sure it wasn't phantom. I called back and asked to do an even exchange onto that CX/AS flight but the supervisor said since I had already changed the award once, I "used up" the travel waiver and there was nothing he could do other than treating this change as a new, voluntary change (by redepositing my miles and then rebooking the new CX/AS flights at the higher mileage cost) -- even though he said he would've been able to do the even exchange had I *not* trusted the first agent's mistaken info that the CX/AS flight was unavailable! Not sure if he was just taunting me at this point but he then said he had an internal memo saying that the China travel waiver doesn't cover CX anyway (but does cover JAL and 3 other airlines that don't even serve HKG), even though there is nothing stating this in the travel waiver page made available to the public. Anyone heard of this?

If possible, I'd like to avoid the redeposit/rebook option and would prefer the even exchange option. This is because when I booked this flight last year, the 10% mileage discount on the Citi AA card was still available and I assume I'd lose that discount if they refunded and redeposited my flight to rebook the new CX/AS flight. Does anyone know if AA typically allows an all-AA MileSAAver award to be changed to a partner MileSAAver award without collecting the additional 5K miles, in these unusual travel waiver situations? And if so, from a technical ticket-issuing perspective, is it doable without redepositing the miles and rebooking?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
All AA flights to and from HKG are zeroed out until the 14th of February. Sounds like cancellation is imminent.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:41 am

That could explain why the legacy system was showing phantom award availability for the next few days on AA flights HKG-LAX. But they already rebooked me for a Feb 14 ticket, so presumably no plans for those flights to be cancelled yet.

Any insight on whether AA would allow an all-AA award to be "even exchanged" to the CX/AS award serving the same exact route when a travel waiver has been issued? I know it normally wouldn't be possible without redepositing the miles and rebooking the ticket, but I don't encounter travel waivers often so I'm honestly not sure what sort of changes would be permitted under the waiver.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by chauffeurboy

Is there any possibility that Princess could re-instate the Shanghai stop? Just want to rule that out.

If I were you I would first explore all possible award routings out of Tokyo with lie-flat options for the transpacific leg.
Obviously, check alternate airports for awards (DTW, PIT, ORD, etc.) with the possibility of purchasing the last leg. What about purchasing a flight Tokyo- ICN (Seoul) and then getting AA award ICN-DFW-YYZ?
If you find anything on AA.com that is remotely workable---put it on hold immediately so you don't lose it.

You may want to create a separate post asking for help with routing----might get more specific advice from award experts.
If all else fails you could probably get Air Canada on 787 lie-flat for under $3KUS.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by AndyAA
31-JAN AA 127 DFW-PVG has already been cancelled.
Also cancelled for today: AA181 LAX-PEK, AA183 LAX-PVG.
Today's AA125 DFW-HKG is showing a 3pm departure (10:35am usually)
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by bigsaabowski
All AA flights to and from HKG are zeroed out until the 14th of February. Sounds like cancellation is imminent.

Looks like all Cihna flying is going to cancel today. I think its a defacto closed until the Level 4 Restrictions are lifted.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Was able to change date and even origin airports for no cost

Had reserved the special fare J flight from LAX-PEK-NRT-LAX and a separate PNR flight ELP-LAX-ELP on January 26. The waiver went into effect two days before my flight so I was able to call in and change the dates just for the LAX-PVG flight to Feb 21 and the EXP desk was able to reschedule the JL part of my itinerary with no change fees, but I had to pay a little extra fare difference to change the ELP-LAX-ELP flight without a change fee.

After AA announced the new waiver for cancelling all flights out of LAX, the EXP desk reached out to me and wanted to refund my ticket which I didn't want to do since the fare was cheap and I need the EQM's for re qualification. I wanted to push back the date even further. Since the agent wasn't willing or couldn't do what I requested, I decided to wait it out and see what happens since the flight is still a few weeks away.

AA EXP desk called me again the next morning and the agent basically was able to change my entire flight and put everything under one PNR from ELP-DFW-PEK-DFW-ELP in J at no cost.

Now, I am waiting to see if all flights are cancelled and then maybe I will be able to push my date back even further till April or May.

Last edited by anaggie; Jan 31, 2020 at 10:10 am
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:15 am

Didn't see this posted here but DL just announced canceling all China flights until April 30. No doubt AA will follow within 24 hours.

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ne...aZSMoepZHmSPJ/
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:29 am
Original Poster

DFW-PVG has also been cancelled until 2/14. Without any inbound aircraft to send back from PVG, all the return flights (AA128 and AA182) have been cancelled for the same timeframe.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
I wonder where these aircraft are going to be deployed while LAX/DFW <-> China flights are suspended.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
AA press release out: Newsroom - American Airlines Update on China Flights - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Based on the U.S. Department of State’s recent increase of the China Travel Advisory to a Level 4 (Do Not Travel), American is suspending its operations to and from the Chinese mainland beginning today through March 27. Our teams are contacting affected customers directly to accommodate their needs. We will continue to evaluate the schedule for March 28 and beyond and make any adjustments as necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.