Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unhappy customers over no inflight power or WiFi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unhappy customers over no inflight power or WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I love the AApologists here blaming travelers for wanting things like power and wifi on a 2020 flight that actually lists power and wifi as an available amenity on such flight. The nerve of these travelers to hold AA accountable for what it promises!

Did anyone else notice that no one even blinked an eye that power and wifi didn't work though? Shows the state of mind of the AAbused.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
OK Boomer.

But seriously, how patronizing.
As patronizing as OK boomer ?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; Delta Skymiles; United MileagePlus; Air Canada Aeroplan; Air France FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by mctaste
Wifi has only been on airplanes for about a decade at this point, nobody should expect it...
Travel out of the US much? Ask Europeans what they think about WiFi on planes a decade ago...

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I think the point the person who posted this was trying to make is that in this day and age a lot of business is conducted in real time. While I typically don't "work" during a flight just because I use that as a time to try and disconnect and unwind, I do often get wifi, especially on longer flights. I work in sales and to be disconnected for 5+ hours in the middle of the day isn't ideal. There are often times where an "emergency" comes up and a simple response notifying a client that I am "on a plane" goes a long way. I don't think the expectation is that you should reply quickly when flying rather that expectation is you should respond quickly anytime. Obviously, it depends on the situation but "emergencies" and "new business opportunities" are sometimes short lived so being able to be connected online does have it's benefits.

Now to those who can't connect for IFE or charge a phone I don't have much sympathy. In this day and age it's simple to carry a portable charger, bring a book, or download something on a laptop or wifi. But if you are expecting wifi and it's not there and the goal was to be able to do some work I can understand people being upset.
Auto-reply: "Hi, I'm currently traveling/flying and my responses may be delayed." Adjust wording accordingly.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
To be fair AA had planned on retiring the LUS 321s (originally) last year. Then the Max debacle came along and now those birds will need to be around at least through the end of 2021. IIRC according to JonNYC AA will install wifi on those planes. Don't know about power outlets.
I don’t think this is correct. From other threads, the LUS 321s are being Oasis’d and perhaps Kodiak’d. Some of the completed 321s are from 2001.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
To be fair AA had planned on retiring the LUS 321s (originally) last year. Then the Max debacle came along and now those birds will need to be around at least through the end of 2021. IIRC according to JonNYC AA will install wifi on those planes. Don't know about power outlets.
Actually, I believe you are referring to the “Hawaii” 757s. That’s more than likely the plane OP was on. Currently there’s 10 of these in the fleet. As mentioned, they were supposed to be retired at the end of 2019 but will now be kept until 2021.

Of these 10 planes, 5 do not have WiFi at all. The other 5 were equipped with GoGo 2KU high-speed WiFi. To my knowledge, the only IFE is overhead screens; there is no streaming IFE on any of these planes. However, power outlets are in F.

To those saying people should get over it if there’s no WiFi on a plane, first this is a 5+ hour flight (not just a couple-hour hop). And second, why would AA be spending a bunch of money outfitting planes with power and high-speed WiFi if no one cares or should “get over it?” It’s 2020. Maybe a book or puzzle works for some, but I’m sure others would appreciate internet and/or streaming IFE in this day and age.
TravelLawyer and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by ijgordon
OK Boomer.

But seriously, how patronizing.
OK yourself!

I truly feel feel sorry for those who can’t live without their devices for even a short period of time.

YMMV
skylady and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
OK yourself!

I truly feel feel sorry for those who can’t live without their devices for even a short period of time.

YMMV
I just re-read the thread, and absolutely no one said they couldn't live without their devices for a short period of time.

What many have said, quite correctly, is that it's 2020, and inflight wifi is an advertised amenity in the United States that business and leisure travelers rely on when choosing a carrier. And if my choice is to unplug for a five hour flight during business hours or when I get to the hotel and have a bed to read my novel in, I'm never going to choose the plane.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread will take a break, return fairly soon and stay open as long as posters can refrain from name-calling and criticizing each other rather than remaining on topic, discussing post content and maintaining mutual respect. For a review of the FlyerTalk Rules governing member behavior: link.

Thank you,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.