FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Unhappy customers over no inflight power or WiFi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2005362-unhappy-customers-over-no-inflight-power-wifi.html)

traveler202 Jan 20, 2020 2:47 pm

Unhappy customers over no inflight power or WiFi

On DCA-PHX and they just announced no WiFi or outlets on the LUS plane. Several people who didn’t know this ahead of time went crazy saying they have no movies or music or enough battery and the flight attendant was left saying “sorry, these old planes.”

Part of me thinks they should have prepared better but it is crazy how old this jet is.

the fact that there’s no empty seats makes clear why they haven’t spent the money - there’s no other option on this route

Often1 Jan 20, 2020 3:12 pm

AA "gets away" with it because it is eating out-of-perimeter slots to provide nonstop service to PHX from DCA. E.g., zero competition. I believe that it is typically on only one of the frequencies as it's the 73 or 321 on the rest.

As to the underlying issue, always good to have a backup plan. Even the best WiFi goes belly up on occasion.

Antarius Jan 20, 2020 3:20 pm

Wifi can go out. I flew the 77W back when they were brand new between LHR and DFW and the entire IFE/power/wifi was out. So it isn't limited to older planes or lesser routes.

I have noticed several pre 2000 LUS birds with power recently, so it does appear that they are rolling it out.

tvnwz Jan 20, 2020 3:36 pm

The MAX debacle may be the issue with this now. AA has to make due until those planes can get back in the air.

Alfonso XIV Jan 20, 2020 3:53 pm

God forbid we should be without wifi for a couple of hours. How about always traveling with a good book?

AANYC1981 Jan 20, 2020 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV (Post 31974546)
God forbid we should be without wifi for a couple of hours. How about always traveling with a good book?

It’s a different world these days.

LondonElite Jan 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Amen. Seems like much ado about nothing.

Gig103 Jan 20, 2020 4:10 pm

Doesn't lack of Wi-fi mean lack of streaming IFE? It does on Southwest.

nk15 Jan 20, 2020 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by traveler202 (Post 31974301)
On DCA-PHX and they just announced no WiFi or outlets on the LUS plane. Several people who didn’t know this ahead of time went crazy saying they have no movies or music or enough battery and the flight attendant was left saying “sorry, these old planes.”

Part of me thinks they should have prepared better but it is crazy how old this jet is.

the fact that there’s no empty seats makes clear why they haven’t spent the money - there’s no other option on this route

They use these disgraceful birds also on PHX-LAX and PHX-DTW. No IFE or power at all, even in F....wild....

flyalways Jan 20, 2020 4:24 pm

In contrast I was pleasantly surprised with a wide-body 767 and lie flat seats in First for
my PHL-SFO flight this AM ! I was dreading a no outlet / no wifi equipment but it was a pleasant
surprise with very good FA service too :-)

Maestro Ramen Jan 20, 2020 5:12 pm

I tried the good book, but then my kindle ran out of juice :(

QueenOfCoach Jan 20, 2020 5:16 pm

Sudoku puzzle book. Mechanical pencil with spare lead. Eraser.

I always travel with my own IFE. Stuff happens.

tikchik Jan 20, 2020 6:22 pm

Love the 757

arollins Jan 20, 2020 6:28 pm

Did you get a PDB?

milesandmoremiles Jan 20, 2020 7:37 pm

The Hawaii 757s which do serve DCA/PHX have power outlets in first class, WiFi and overhead screens with movies/tv shows on longer flights. Its possible the WiFi was temporarily inop which does happen.

Since these planes continue to be phased out, I doubt you'll see any other improvements to them.

Its also worth noting that AA does not market these planes as having in seat power so its not as if they are setting that expectation and then not delivering on it.