Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2020: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2020 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
NOTE: Jan-Feb-Mar 2020 posts have been moved to the archive file that can be read here.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2020: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Not sure where to ask this, but is it just me or that AA's elite program doesn't even compare well with BAEC? Since AA have EQD and BA doesn't, I'm wondering why anyone would pick AA over BA? Sucks that domestic lounge access isn't access except for BAEC.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by lsquare
Not sure where to ask this, but is it just me or that AA's elite program doesn't even compare well with BAEC? Since AA have EQD and BA doesn't, I'm wondering why anyone would pick AA over BA? Sucks that domestic lounge access isn't access except for BAEC.
The main downside is upgrade certs and priority if one primarily flies AA. If you don't fly a ton on AA or don't really care too much about priority on the upgrade list, then sure.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
As of today, what can I expect if I buy a first class ticket for December that I end up cancelling? Will it be a rebook situation or will I receive some form of flight credit. If it is the latter, how long is it valid? If AA ends up cancelling these flights, can I expect a refund to my credit card? Sorry if this is less of a newbie question than a case of the current state of play making my head spin. Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
The main downside is upgrade certs and priority if one primarily flies AA. If you don't fly a ton on AA or don't really care too much about priority on the upgrade list, then sure.
That, and the the miles that you get earning/crediting to AA don't necessarily come with large fees when it's time to redeem them, as opposed to BA Avios. (assuming one primarily redeems on routes with significant carrier surcharges)

There's other threads out there on this topic though.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
Originally Posted by econ
That, and the the miles that you get earning/crediting to AA don't necessarily come with large fees when it's time to redeem them, as opposed to BA Avios. (assuming one primarily redeems on routes with significant carrier surcharges)

There's other threads out there on this topic though.
There are lots of threads, but not sure if they contain current information. What are the upgrade certs that you're referring to? The SWUs? As for priority, I get it, but I read that AA gives BAEC GGL members the CK treatment.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
As of today, what can I expect if I buy a first class ticket for December that I end up cancelling? Will it be a rebook situation or will I receive some form of flight credit. If it is the latter, how long is it valid? If AA ends up cancelling these flights, can I expect a refund to my credit card? Sorry if this is less of a newbie question than a case of the current state of play making my head spin. Thanks.
If AA cancels flights, the situation is as always: You call AA and either cancel the trip or work with them to change it; either way there's no change or cancel fee.
Otherwise, currently changing apparently has no change fee, but canceling incurs whatever fee your ticket terms call for.
If you cancel in either scenario, you then go to prefunds.aa.com to request the refund, which comes either as an eVoucher or a credit back to your original form of payment, as you prefer.
And, yes, eVouchers are only good for a year.

UPFATE: AA has apparently just stopped issuing eVouchers and instead you get "Trip Credits". I'm hard put to see much of a difference, except the latter looks more like a ticket?
Clay_C. likes this.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Aug 10, 2020 at 4:50 pm Reason: New info
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
There are lots of threads, but not sure if they contain current information. What are the upgrade certs that you're referring to? The SWUs? As for priority, I get it, but I read that AA gives BAEC GGL members the CK treatment.
I'd assume that it is SWUs that are being referred to, yes. This thread is fairly recent:

Need Help with a Possible Switch from AA ExPlat to BAEC Gold
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 9:45 pm

I'm trying to book a J award ticket Europe-LAX for summer 2021 on AA's website, but I cannot book any itinerary on AA metal priced at the 57.5k saver rate. I have literally tried 10+ different origin cities ex-Europe, testing multiple dates and routings, and every time I proceed past the passenger details screen, I am either looped back to the flight search page or I get a "This page must have taken flight" error.

Is this a glitch of some sort? Twitter support was useless.

I don't get this error when looking at itineraries solely on BA or Iberia metal, but they have much higher fees.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by LGB_WN
I'm trying to book a J award ticket Europe-LAX for summer 2021 on AA's website, but I cannot book any itinerary on AA metal priced at the 57.5k saver rate. I have literally tried 10+ different origin cities ex-Europe, testing multiple dates and routings, and every time I proceed past the passenger details screen, I am either looped back to the flight search page or I get a "This page must have taken flight" error.

Is this a glitch of some sort? Twitter support was useless.

I don't get this error when looking at itineraries solely on BA or Iberia metal, but they have much higher fees.
It's definitely some sort of IT issue or glitch on AA's end, reported below as well:

AA Saaver Award booking problems
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:31 pm

How do you guys normally book round trip 331 days in advance? I want to book a 2 week trip with both legs on the same reservation so if I have to cancel it's only one charge. Should I book the outbound and use a placeholder leg on the return, then change the return two weeks later (as we can do for free on AA)? Or should I use the 5-day "hold" option for the outbound and renew the hold 3 times until I can book the return? I am worried about the first option since I thought award tickets can only be changed to a date 331 days from the day of booking.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chaboi
How do you guys normally book round trip 331 days in advance? I want to book a 2 week trip with both legs on the same reservation so if I have to cancel it's only one charge. Should I book the outbound and use a placeholder leg on the return, then change the return two weeks later (as we can do for free on AA)? Or should I use the 5-day "hold" option for the outbound and renew the hold 3 times until I can book the return? I am worried about the first option since I thought award tickets can only be changed to a date 331 days from the day of booking.
If you must have both the outbound and return on the same PNR then the first option is probably your best shot.

Flights open up for booking at the 331 day window, however they can be changed to any date really, as long as all travel is completed within 1 year from the original ticketing date.

The problem with the 2nd option (renewing holds) is that in order to extend the hold you need additional award space availabe on the original outbound flights. If there's no more award space available after you put your flights on hold, then you can't extend the hold (without just cancelling your hold after 5 days and hoping the award space goes back, not guaranteed at all).
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:08 pm

Looked for this but didn't see it. I apologize if it's redundant.

I'm looking at booking a trip. Looking on google flights, it appears like the price will decrease soon. When does AA update their prices? (Sunday mornings, x days before the flight, etc.) Is there any logic to it? I'm looking a a flight that leaves Friday and returns on a Monday. TIA.

Also, is there any limit to the amount of times you can hold a ticket? I'm considering putting the tickets on hold, then letting the hold expire/renewing the hold each day if the price is the same. That way I can hedge my bets for a price decrease. Any downsides to this? I'm looking at doing it for a week max.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wanderlust99

I'm looking at booking a trip. Looking on google flights, it appears like the price will decrease soon. When does AA update their prices? (Sunday mornings, x days before the flight, etc.) Is there any logic to it? I'm looking a a flight that leaves Friday and returns on a Monday. TIA.

Also, is there any limit to the amount of times you can hold a ticket? I'm considering putting the tickets on hold, then letting the hold expire/renewing the hold each day if the price is the same. That way I can hedge my bets for a price decrease. Any downsides to this? I'm looking at doing it for a week max.
Pricing is dynamic, AA could decide to change the fare in 2 hours or 2 days or 2 weeks. There is no way to know. Additionally fares will change as inventory buckets change which is completely dynamic as well.

And there is no limit to the amount of times you can put a flight on hold.
wanderlust99 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wanderlust99

Dont count on the warnings that these prices are (high/low/normal/will likely decrease/increase) to mean anything.

As you get closer to departure (within 21/14 days) prices generally increase due to advance purchase requirements and decreased seat availability.

You can hold again if fare/pricing is still available at that point. Just make sure you don't have more than one hold for same flight at same time.

Also note there's no change fees currently. While itll be issued in form of voucher, you can rebook at lower rate and use voucher in future.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Dont count on the warnings that these prices are (high/low/normal/will likely decrease/increase) to mean anything.

As you get closer to departure (within 21/14 days) prices generally increase due to advance purchase requirements and decreased seat availability.

You can hold again if fare/pricing is still available at that point. Just make sure you don't have more than one hold for same flight at same time.

Also note there's no change fees currently. While itll be issued in form of voucher, you can rebook at lower rate and use voucher in future.
Thank you. Good point about cancelling and rebooking if needed. The price I have on hold is pretty good already and they went up today. Upon further review, the rate decreases I was expecting in the near future might only apply to BE tickets so I decided to go ahead and purchase my hold today. I've got the free 24 hr cancellation window to work with, if needed, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.