FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2020: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Aug 18, 2020, 6:09 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by chaboi
How do you guys normally book round trip 331 days in advance? I want to book a 2 week trip with both legs on the same reservation so if I have to cancel it's only one charge. Should I book the outbound and use a placeholder leg on the return, then change the return two weeks later (as we can do for free on AA)? Or should I use the 5-day "hold" option for the outbound and renew the hold 3 times until I can book the return? I am worried about the first option since I thought award tickets can only be changed to a date 331 days from the day of booking.
If you must have both the outbound and return on the same PNR then the first option is probably your best shot.

Flights open up for booking at the 331 day window, however they can be changed to any date really, as long as all travel is completed within 1 year from the original ticketing date.

The problem with the 2nd option (renewing holds) is that in order to extend the hold you need additional award space availabe on the original outbound flights. If there's no more award space available after you put your flights on hold, then you can't extend the hold (without just cancelling your hold after 5 days and hoping the award space goes back, not guaranteed at all).