Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by a_b
Hypothetically speaking...

If the firm of Duey, Cheatem and Howe was sued in small claims class and the only non-lawyer in the company is a janitor, the janitor would represent them? That's pretty wild
No, not unless the janitor is a member of the partnership or corporation (unlikely). In California, if the only members of the partnership or corporation are lawyers then a lawyer that is a general partner of the partnership or officer of the corporation may represent the law firm.
From the Code:
(a) Except as permitted by this section, no attorney may take part in the conduct or defense of a small claims action.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply if the attorney is appearing to maintain or defend an action in any of the following capacities:
(1) By or against himself or herself.
(2) By or against a partnership in which he or she is a general partner and in which all the partners are attorneys.
(3) By or against a professional corporation of which he or she is an officer or director and of which all other officers and directors are attorneys.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, I ain't sure of nothin (plain English here). However, I have a degree of confidence in the following: 1) newly minted EXP with all perks thereof; 2) successfully applied SWUs with confirmed reservations; and, 3) able to make mileage reservations (the hold thing?). I suppose, when I go pay for them and have them ticket is the "sure" fire proof?

A little OT (feel like goofing off, it is a new year) - Say, AA is reviewing and decide to purge my mileage account rescinding my pair of confirmed SWUs leaving me in the lurch of having to sit in a cramped middle seat between two fat smelly guys across the Pacific. Can I sue & seek reparation for physical & mental pain and suffering?

I can change seats on award flights I already have booked and I can hold a reservation. I also earned 50K miles recently..............My account is locked as I can't use miles, attempted reservations stay as pending.

Maybe you are unlocked but until you use miles I don't think you will know for sure. Maybe try to buy a gift card

Your trip is on hold

Thank you for choosing American! We'll hold your reservation through January 11, 2020.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 6, 2020 at 8:12 pm
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Housing1st
I found out my account was "locked" when I booked a flight for a friend. Friend's ticket was made and miles originally deleted from account. 24 hours prior to check in friend not able to check in. I called AA late in night and customer service indicated that my account was 'locked' and that I should call AA Mileage the next day. I figured I would just put her on another airline flight and have ignored it to date. No email received yet. Just one AA account.
To be clear, I'm not accusing you of anything.

But, not to many people will use their hard-churned miles to buy a ticket for a friend. If you will... I need more friends like you! My friends won't pick up the tab when we go out for coffee.

AA has long taken a hard stance againt people who sell miles (by booking award tickets for others in exchange for money). I'm not saying that you got anything in return, but AA can't tell the difference. Whether you are an actual mile broker or just a suspected mile broker, this is nothing new.

I wonder how much of this crackdown was actually targeted against churners, vs targeting mile brokers (actual or suspected). I'm sure that there's a big overlap there. Personally, at this point, I wouldn't suggest booking an award ticket for someone else unless if they have the same last name as you and/or you are on the same ticket.

I wonder how many first-time FT posts there are about people complaining that their account was lockeded / shut down after booking an award ticket for a friend?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
To be clear, I'm not accusing you of anything.

But, not to many people will use their hard-churned miles to buy a ticket for a friend. If you will... I need more friends like you! My friends won't pick up the tab when we go out for coffee.

AA has long taken a hard stance againt people who sell miles (by booking award tickets for others in exchange for money). I'm not saying that you got anything in return, but AA can't tell the difference. Whether you are an actual mile broker or just a suspected mile broker, this is nothing new.

I wonder how much of this crackdown was actually targeted against churners, vs targeting mile brokers (actual or suspected). I'm sure that there's a big overlap there. Personally, at this point, I wouldn't suggest booking an award ticket for someone else unless if they have the same last name as you and/or you are on the same ticket.

I wonder how many first-time FT posts there are about people complaining that their account was lockeded / shut down after booking an award ticket for a friend?
And that sucks for AA flyers. You should have the absolute ability to book award trips for friends or family or whomever with "your miles" without being subjected to suspicion.
PlatinumScum likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
More speculation is just what this thread needs.

Some of us book award tickets for friends frequently. I don't recall any reports on this forum where AA tried to take action against someone for legitimately booking award tickets for someone with a different last name. Every so often a report will pop up and invariably it comes out that a mileage broker or other form of shadiness (remuneration) was involved.

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
And that sucks for AA flyers.
It really doesn't.
You should have the absolute ability to book award trips for friends or family or whomever with "your miles" without being subjected to suspicion.
We do.
JonNYC, wrp96 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Last edited by Herb687; Jan 6, 2020 at 8:58 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

...Personally, at this point, I wouldn't suggest booking an award ticket for someone else unless if they have the same last name as you and/or you are on the same ticket.
An utterly uniformed and ridiculous suggestion.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
More speculation is just what this thread needs.
This thread is 100% speculation. I made it very clear that I was speculating.

Some of us book award tickets for friends frequently. I don't recall any reports on this forum where AA tried to take action against someone for legitimately booking award tickets for someone with a different last name. Every so often a report will pop up and invariably it comes out that a mileage broker or other form of shadiness (remuneration) was involved.
So if my friend wants to go somewhere and I book the ticket for him with my miles because I'm a nice guy, AA will let that through. But if he slips me $1000, AA will somehow find out about it? Seems hard to believe.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
So if my friend wants to go somewhere and I book the ticket for him with my miles because I'm a nice guy, AA will let that through. But if he slips me $1000, AA will somehow find out about it? Seems hard to believe.
What specifically do you find hard to believe? The former hypothetical scenario or the latter one?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:52 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Coming from HK (and having witnessed a few trades and shutdowns myself), we know airlines have ways:

- same surname - presumed relative
- account holder travels with "friend" - presumed non-sale
- after travelling with account holder, "friend" travels alone - presumed non-sale
- new account, redeems for "friend" shortly after account opening - presumed sale
- issue 10 tix to 10 "friends" in two days (you know who you are!) - presumed sale
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 6, 2020 at 11:46 pm
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Am I allowed to use my miles to book tickets for my employees. If yes can I reimburse my self for the value of the personal miles given to my company?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
Am I allowed to use my miles to book tickets for my employees. If yes can I reimburse my self for the value of the personal miles given to my company?
No, you can't sell miles to your company.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:13 pm

It was a combination. Although I did not purchase any mailers, I did have some given to me (for free) by people who had no interest in opening the card. I'm aware that some people were selling the codes (eg, on Reddit) but I never participated in that.
To add, on to mailers, maulers could go in trash/recycle bin or even mailbox mails could be stolen and used by anyone. For this there is no control from original receiver perspective (original receiver may not be even aware that their trashed mails are stolen from bins/mail). Onus is on Citi to prevent/restrict at account opening if they don’t want others to use the mailer code.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Citi seems to be working on it by clawback of the miles that were accrued - anyone taking a mailed offer from someone's rubbissh can hardly have a reason to think that it was for them
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Citi seems to be working on it by clawback of the miles that were accrued - anyone taking a mailed offer from someone's rubbissh can hardly have a reason to think that it was for them
Although this makes the most sense, I haven't read any DPs supporting this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Utterly false.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.