Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by econometrics

Thats about what I was expecting, considering the possibilities and usage of the plane.

Thats a great departure time from DFW and arrival to TLV, IMO. 18:30 is not quite as crazy at TLV as the usual 1600 arrival bank.
Yeah! It is very extremely busy evening rush. Lots of people who are going home from work. I don't think such good idea. You could struck the traffic.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Interesting AA specifically mentions San Jose and Austin as connecting markets when both already have one-stop service via LHR on BA.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
Interesting AA specifically mentions San Jose and Austin as connecting markets when both already have one-stop service via LHR on BA.
Connecting in DFW >>>> connecting in LHR.

Now that the FL is complete plus the overall AA hard product superiority over BA, no brainer in my mind.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antarius
Connecting in DFW >>>> connecting in LHR.

Now that the FL is complete plus the overall AA hard product superiority over BA, no brainer in my mind.
Certainly onboard AA has a much better business class seat. I would say the GF lounge in T5 is on part with FL in DFW.

I guess my point was AA mentioned the flight now gives TLV 33 new markets that have one stop flights instead of a double connection, and then they mention two markets which already have one-stop flights i think on a daily basis.

Curious what the new 1-stop markets are? Places like Baton Rouge, etc I would guess.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
While this is true, I think that tacitly AA is saying the connecting through DFW vs. LHR on route to TLV is more convenient and that is hard to argue not to be true. On the return, at least for AUS, connecting through LHR could get tough, if not impossible, on the same day given the late morning departure of the BA flight to AUS. And they are definitely targeting the high tech market in this case..
wrp96 and econometrics like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
The only BA departure points in the US that put you in TLV before midnight the next day are NYC, BOS, ORD and maybe MIA. You have to get to LHR before 6:45am to make the AM flight to TLV (arriving in mid-afternoon)

Thus, AAs flight will make for better timed arrivals on one stop connections from places like AUS, SJC, etc.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yeah! It is very extremely busy evening rush. Lots of people who are going home from work. I don't think such good idea. You could struck the traffic.
Hop the train then take a taxi. Much faster during rush hour... BTW Rush Hour in TLV is from about 6:30am till 10pm. Severe lack of infrastructure.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:51 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by linglingfool
DFW makes no sense for connections out of Chicago; DFW-TLV directly overflies ORD, so it's exactly the wrong direction.
Which is only meaningful if they were also flying ORD-TLV. Since they are not, it's irrelevant.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist. Previously: A3-*G, LH-FTL
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
You're missing my point. Of course, TLV operates seven days a week. I'm saying that if AA chooses to serve that market only three times week, does it want one of those days to conflict with Shabbat, when a significant portion of that market cannot travel? A daily schedule will smooth things out over the whole week, as opposed a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule when one of those days presents issues for a big segment of the market.
Operating on Shabbat actually has some advantages when competing with LY.
For example someone who wants to travel from LAX to TLV can't use El Al's direct flight on Friday/Saturday which are great options for an Israeli businessman finishing his work week in California.
econometrics likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Which is only meaningful if they were also flying ORD-TLV. Since they are not, it's irrelevant.
As I said in another post, if people are determined to stay on AA/OW, then yes, perhaps they'd backtrack. For everyone else, there is nonstop ORD-TLV on LY, or connections in JFK that make more sense than DFW.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
True, but ignoring the fact that I (and many others) would rather connect at DFW than LHR, the schedule of the onward flights from LHR aren't great for many people. For example, if you're coming in from AUS, your options are LY arriving TLV at ~10pm, BA arriving ~11:50pm, or LY arriving ~5am. As much as I'd like to keep my flying on OW, I've been choosing the UA option over those choices because the schedule is much more to my liking.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Oops, missed this (busy day yesterday!)
Unlike others, I won't state something as a fact unless I know the actual answer, and in this case I do not.

I *assume* it's as simple as conservative foray/available aircraft-- see if this route takes off above and beyond the others, both new and old and then commit or quit (or move or add.) Again, 100% pure speculation on my part. They really very much -want- to serve TLV, so the route will benefit from -considerably- more patience and tinkering than say one of the new/newer Euro routes etc.
Thanks, Jon...As a follow-up, you had a Twitter conversation a while back with I-can't-remember-who about AA and the TLV market, in which you talked about decisions made post-merger that affected the profitability/viability of the LUS PHL-TLV service. Do you have further insight you can share, if not on the decisions themselves, then on the nature/scope of the decisions? I think a lot of us would be interested to know if it was basic change in overall cost structure for the route/PHL hub, etc. I think, given what Vasu Raja has said about overall costs being lower and premiums they can charge being higher at DFW, it definitely makes sense to test the market from there, because they have perhaps a bigger margin of error. Just curious about what kinds of decisions/considerations might have led to the reported $$$-blood letting that was the last iteration of service to the TLV market.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:11 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Obviously, as a member of the tribe, I wouldve hoped that AA would give JFK-TLV a try and give LY a run for its money. Sadly, AA isnt interested in remaining at JFK, so theyll continue to kill it until its presence mirrors United at LGA. Its unfortunate, because I hate LY and fly TK just so I wouldnt have such a miserable experience to Israel. I have no desire to change with the addition of this route.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by uxb
Obviously, as a member of the tribe, I wouldve hoped that AA would give JFK-TLV a try and give LY a run for its money. Sadly, AA isnt interested in remaining at JFK, so theyll continue to kill it until its presence mirrors United at LGA. Its unfortunate, because I hate LY and fly TK just so I wouldnt have such a miserable experience to Israel. I have no desire to change with the addition of this route.
I mean to say that AA is not interested in remaining at JFK is just patently untrue. They are at JFK. They remain at JFK. They have remained at JFK since they announced their strategy of focusing on business markets (LAX, LHR, SFO, MXP, GRU, etc.)...Those routes are reportedly profitable and doing quite well. Just because JFK is not interesting in using JFK as its new route guinea pig doesn't mean it's not interested in staying.

They may have just determined (based on profits and costs out of DFW, etc.) that testing the waters from DFW had considerable more upside and considerably less downside than going head-to-head-to-head-head with LY, DL, and UA in the NYC market.

You can question the strategic wisdom of all of the above, for sure, but to say that AA is uninterested in remaining at JFK is not really a valid assertion, IMO.
NYC Flyer and GUWonder like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Could AA be pushing their own metal for the purpose of revenue? I understand that AA and BA share revenue on transatlantic flights, but would that include revenue associated with connecting flights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.