Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by ikwia
the OP implied this was about connections through TLV, so I was truly wondering to where. Obviously there will be lots of people connecting into DFW en route to TLV.
Same question: Where will the connections be on the other end? For political reasons, TLV is not a hub for the Middle East. Okay. You could connect to the TLV-AMM flight on OW partner RJ. Beyond that?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:24 pm

I'm very curious to see which 3 days and what time the flights will be scheduled.
A significant portion of the target market cannot travel on Shabbat, the Jewish sabbath, which runs from sunset Friday to nightfall Saturday. A Sunday DFW-TLV flight works.. A Sunday TLV-DFW will not, unless the plane left DFW late Saturday night, well after dark. It would have to be late enough Saturday night that an observant Jew would have time to get to DFW and get checked in after dark. They couldn't leave their house until after dark. That's going to be tough during the summer. A Thursday overnight DFW-TLV flight creates possible problems too. That same market segment tries not to cut things too close, and wants to be home well before Shabbat comes in at sunset on Friday night. What if there are delays? That means with only 3 x weekly service, AA might be limiting itself from DFW to Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed.

Such are the considerations of flying to and from Israel. Granted, AA is not LY, which does not fly on Shabbat at all. Be bold, AA, and eventually bump this up to daily service, like UA does. That way, you can absorb the issue of passengers who can't use your flights on the weekend. Things can even out for you.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Aug 8, 2019 at 11:30 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Same question: Where will the connections be on the other end? For political reasons, TLV is not a hub for the Middle East. Okay. You could connect to the TLV-AMM flight on OW partner RJ. Beyond that?
Actually, El Al is a hub, not other airlines who have a hub.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
TLV is El Al's headquarters, yes. But for political reasons, El Al cannot operate a regional Middle East hub. You're not going to connect at TLV to BEY, DXB, MCT ... We can go down a whole list of airports in the region you cannot fly to from TLV. That's my question: Where are you going to connect to on the other end?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:02 am

But the OP implied this was about connections through TLV, so I was truly wondering to where. Obviously there will be lots of people connecting into DFW en route to TLV.
I don’t think the OP implied that at all - was pretty clear to me that OP was talking about connections through DFW.

Whatever this route is ‘about’, it is obviously *not* about connections at the TLV end.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Dates confused?

American will resume its service to Tel Aviv from its largest hub in Dallas/Fort Worth on Sept. 9. The flights will operate year-round three times per week on a Boeing 787-9 and will be available for bookings beginning Oct. 10.

AA will start selling tickets beginning on Oct 10, but the flight will start on September 9th? Flights until Oct 10th will fly empty?

Last edited by milyoner; Aug 9, 2019 at 7:26 am Reason: Too short
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by milyoner
AA will start selling tickets beginning on Oct 10, but the flight will start on September 9th? Flights until Oct 10th will fly empty?
The service starts Sept. 9, 2020, not next month.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by econometrics
UA started their SFO-TLV with 3x weekly on 789s. Now it's daily with the 77W. (Keeping the 789)
I remember seeing a report lately that SFO-TLV is UA's 3rd highest J-Class revenue! A great deal of the "profitable" revenue will be from High Tech.

My guess is now that Douggie has reopened the TLV door with DFW, PHL and ORD flights will soon be added. That way it keeps the local staff busy for 2 full shifts.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
A significant portion of the target market cannot travel on Shabbat, the Jewish sabbath, which runs from sunset Friday to nightfall Saturday.
Google the Ben Gurion flight schedule. There's ~175 flights that depart from tonight to tomorrow night (on Shabbos). Seems the non-observant market is vibrant & healthy to where a foreign carrier doesn't need to cater to them to make a profit.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by swingaling
Part of the reason DFW-TLV is an odd choice is about geography. Substantially more than half of the US population lives east of DFW. I doubt many people on the East Coast would be willing to connect via DFW to go to TLV. So while this might be a good option for those in the west, it’s not great for those in the east.
Regardless, I'll fly west to go east RSW-DFW-TLV instead of having to drive to MIA fly BA with a mad dash through LHR in a 90 minute terminal change. MAD is fine, but typically we fly PE and not all flight MAD-TLV have PE seating.
econometrics likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by joeyE
Google the Ben Gurion flight schedule. There's ~175 flights that depart from tonight to tomorrow night (on Shabbos). Seems the non-observant market is vibrant & healthy to where a foreign carrier doesn't need to cater to them to make a profit.
Yeah, the religious thing is a bit of a common false flag. Israeli society as a whole (including Arab Israelis) is well over 50% not strictly observant.
TWA884 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by DWFI
The world’s largest airline, out of their largest hub, is too scared to attempt a daily service to a city the size of Tel Aviv. It’s pathetic.
You'd be fired if you didn't show some risk management when starting a new route with no history.
I don't think AA route planning execs lose sleep at night being scared.

United announced EWR-JNB. JNB has double the metro population of TLV. US started w 3 flights/week as well. Similar flight times.
It's only 1 data point but from that perspective American is taking a way larger risk then United. I don't think they're scared..
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by MarJon
Regardless, I'll fly west to go east RSW-DFW-TLV instead of having to drive to MIA fly BA with a mad dash through LHR in a 90 minute terminal change. MAD is fine, but typically we fly PE and not all flight MAD-TLV have PE seating.
That’s on point. I would much rather backtrack a bit domestically with a non-security clearance connection than go thru the T3-T5 short connection in LHR.
Spiff, GUWonder and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
TLV is El Al's headquarters, yes. But for political reasons, El Al cannot operate a regional Middle East hub. You're not going to connect at TLV to BEY, DXB, MCT ... We can go down a whole list of airports in the region you cannot fly to from TLV. That's my question: Where are you going to connect to on the other end?
Tell me about it.

As a frequent traveler to BEY based on DFW, this is essentially an "awwww so close". Guess I will stick with Qatar for the most part.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually you can fly LY to Cairo and Amman. You could also connect with OW's Royal Jordanian airlines to Amman and possibly connect with S7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.