FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1982110-dfw-tlv-tel-aviv-israel-3x-weekly-starting-9-9-2020-a.html)

justsawaufo Aug 8, 2019 3:17 am

DFW-TLV / Tel Aviv, Israel 3x weekly starting 9/9/2020

Operating with B787

source: https://www.nasdaq.com/press-release...ppvjWxM9qAOxyc

good news for all TLV flyers

Houminer Aug 8, 2019 3:22 am

Didn't AA claim that the TLV route in not profitable?

DWFI Aug 8, 2019 5:20 am

Good for AA, but that frequency is pretty pathetic.

ikwia Aug 8, 2019 5:29 am

I'm very curious to see which 3 days and what time the flights will be scheduled.

PHL Aug 8, 2019 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Houminer (Post 31392916)

Despite running it for 6 years ex-PHL, when they canceled it Parker said it was never a money maker, and lost $20M in the final year. I would think East coast - TLV would still be a better option for connection options. I can't imagine O&D from DFW is stronger, so I guess they'll be relying on connections from points West/Central.

joeyE Aug 8, 2019 6:57 am

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 31393190)
I'm very curious to see which 3 days and what time the flights will be scheduled.

It's a little tricky. Say the flight is around 13 hours going & around 14 hours coming back (I'm being loose here.)
Maybe it leaves DFW at 9pm & it arrives at 6 pm the next day.. Then give it 4 hours on the ground.
It departs TLV at 10pm & arrives back in DFW at 6am.
A full cycle takes ~31 hours or so & then the plane is idle in DFW for 17 hours. So they'd probably want to find a pair of 5-hour flights to make use of the jet.
To move to daily service would require an additional jet.

wrp96 Aug 8, 2019 6:58 am

I'll be the happy voice on this. As someone who currently has to double connect to get to TLV (on any airline), a DFW-TLV flight is wonderful even if only 3 days a week.

stewlevine Aug 8, 2019 7:16 am

Yes, having done the double connect earlier this year from DFW, this makes a huge difference. It will be interesting to see if this ends up being more successful than PHL was.

bchandler02 Aug 8, 2019 7:18 am

This is cool, but are there really more people going to TLV in or around DFW than the east coast? Not sure why, but I would have guessed that the east coast had more people trying to get to TLV.

flightrisk Aug 8, 2019 7:34 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02 (Post 31393502)
This is cool, but are there really more people going to TLV in or around DFW than the east coast? Not sure why, but I would have guessed that the east coast had more people trying to get to TLV.

Am I the only one a little surprised that they specifically cited the tech industry in the press release? If truthful, it would seem to imply they are targeting some specific corporate accounts versus targeting demographics. But a year out is a pretty long time to wait for a business oriented flight....

As demand continues to grow between the U.S. and TLV, American is adding three weekly flights from DFW, its largest hub. These flights will serve customers throughout the U.S. and allow many customers to make only one stop, rather than the previous two stops that were available, to TLV. And as the tech industry continues to grow in the market, American will provide the most efficient routing to U.S. tech cities like Austin, Texas, and San Jose, California, in addition to one-stop service to 33 new cities in the U.S.

IADCAflyer Aug 8, 2019 7:38 am

Tech industry or pharma?

mshachar Aug 8, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Houminer (Post 31392916)

There was also the issue of ex TWA workers and monies owed them as well as fear of a plane being impounded by the Israeli tax authorities... I don't think the route wasn't profitable.

trvlr70 Aug 8, 2019 7:48 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 31393562)
Tech industry or pharma?

Neither. The route is all about connections.

LINDEGR Aug 8, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by mshachar (Post 31393583)
There was also the issue of ex TWA workers and monies owed them as well as fear of a plane being impounded by the Israeli tax authorities... I don't think the route wasn't profitable.

That was all urban legend.

JonNYC Aug 8, 2019 8:24 am

Originally Posted by mshachar (Post 31393583)

I've been actively debunking that one for a long time:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30862336-post7.html

And before that as well.