Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Systemwide Upgrades- Odds of Getting Upgraded and More Info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Hello All,
I am flying this Friday on AA47, LHR-ORD on American'w 787-9. A family member who is Executive pplatinum had a SWU to use and he gave it to me, he called American to use his systemwide upgrade on my flight. The phone agents did so, but I see no indication in my AAdvantage account online to see if I was signed up for the upgrade, is it supposed to be written somewhere on the website? Furthermore, does anyone know how long before the flight to expect clearance for the upgrade (assuming I won't be put on the airport waitlist, if I actually get the upgrade)- 72 hours before the flight? 48 hours before the flight? will I get a call or message from American that I got the upgrade?
I was also wondering what the odds of getting the upgrade are, I signed up for it about three weeks before the flight, throught an Executive Platinum card. Does anyone know how to check how many business class seats are not occupied yet, so I can know what the odds for an upgrade are?
How can I check how many seats left on flight?
If anyone has a way to check II'l be glad to know how many free seats there are on my flight (AA 47, August 9th)
Thanks for kindly reading. Waiting for answers!

Last edited by IsraeliFlyer; Aug 5, 2019 at 8:13 am
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
AA47 is a Chicago flight, not Dallas – so you had better check your booking

Anyway AA47 is currently J2, with 8 seats unassigned. I would regard this as a low probability for upgrade (5% or so), and certainly highly unlikely to happen before you are boarding, or even after boarding.

If you want to se how many seats are unassigned in J, just look on aa.com – start the process of booking a one-way in J and then look at the seat map.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IsraeliFlyer
Hello All,
I am flying this Friday on AA47, LHR-DFW on American'w 787-9. A family member who is Executive pplatinum had a SWU to use and he gave it to me, he called American to use his systemwide upgrade on my flight. The phone agents did so, but I see no indication in my AAdvantage account online to see if I was signed up for the upgrade, is it supposed to be written somewhere on the website? Furthermore, does anyone know how long before the flight to expect clearance for the upgrade (assuming I won't be put on the airport waitlist, if I actually get the upgrade)- 72 hours before the flight? 48 hours before the flight? will I get a call or message from American that I got the upgrade?
I was also wondering what the odds of getting the upgrade are, I signed up for it about three weeks before the flight, throught an Executive Platinum card. Does anyone know how to check how many business class seats are not occupied yet, so I can know what the odds for an upgrade are?
How can I check how many seats left on flight?
If anyone has a way to check II'l be glad to know how many free seats there are on my flight (AA 47, August 8th)

Thanks for kindly reading. Waiting for answers!
AA typically doesn't release upgrade space on a flight like this until around 24-48 hrs. before the flight. You will sometimes get an email notification however most of us on here just check your reservation at aa.com frequently in the days before the flight. If you happen to get an error message that's usually a good sign, call AA.

Also, AA47 is LHR-ORD (not DFW), and Aug 8 is Thurs (not Fri). But assuming you do mean AA47 on 8/8 then your chances are not very good. It's down to J2 (2 seats left for sale in business).

Here are the dedicated threads for this type of question for future reference:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

JonNYC and JDiver like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
..If you want to se how many seats are unassigned in J, just look on aa.com – start the process of booking a one-way in J and then look at the seat map.
Don't do it that way.
C17PSGR, JDiver, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Yes, it obviously is LHR-ORD. Thanks for the information.
However, if these two seats remain available and I am on the top of the upgrade list, is it possible for me to get the upgrade?

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Don't do it that way.
What is the best way to check how many seats are available for the flight? How did people find out that it is J2?

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 5, 2019 at 9:31 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
However, if these two seats remain available and I am on the top of the upgrade list, is it possible for me to get the upgrade?
Yes, that's how it works.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA typically doesn't release upgrade space on a flight like this until around 24-48 hrs. before the flight. You will sometimes get an email notification however most of us on here just check your reservation at aa.com frequently in the days before the flight. If you happen to get an error message that's usually a good sign, call AA.

Also, AA47 is LHR-ORD (not DFW), and Aug 8 is Thurs (not Fri). But assuming you do mean AA47 on 8/8 then your chances are not very good. It's down to J2 (2 seats left for sale in business).

Here are the dedicated threads for this type of question for future reference:

How about Friday, August 9th? Is there a better hance getting upgraded then?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, if there are still 2 seats left and you're at the top of the list then you'll get the upgrade whenever AA decides to release the space.

Keep in mind that the waitlist is sorted by status then rolling EQD, so if you don't have any status then you will be below any other pax with status. This is based off your status, not the status of the person that is giving you the SWU. On a flight like LHR-ORD, I'd say it's highly unlikely that you would be at the top (i.e. no other pax with status on the waitlist) but you never know.

AA47 on Friday 8/9 looks about the same, J2, only 2 seats left for sale in business.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, if there are still 2 seats left and you're at the top of the list then you'll get the upgrade whenever AA decides to release the space.

Keep in mind that the waitlist is sorted by status then rolling EQD, so if you don't have any status then you will be below any other pax with status. This is based off your status, not the status of the person that is giving you the SWU. On a flight like LHR-ORD, I'd say it's highly unlikely that you would be at the top (i.e. no other pax with status on the waitlist) but you never know.

AA47 on Friday 8/9 looks about the same, J2, only 2 seats left for sale in business.
Are you sure that the waitlist is by status and not by Status of the person who gave the SWU?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Are you sure that the waitlist is by status and not by Status of the person who gave the SWU?
Yes, that's how it works.
JDiver, Dedicated, FAA1996 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:31 am

Yes. This is how it works.

Based on the other feedback here, sounds like it's very low odds at this point. That said, you never know as people do change flights and people do misconnect, but if you are the lucky winner, it will almost definitely not happen until right before the flight at the gate.

The best source of info is Expertflyer, but you need a paid subscription to access data like this. You can sign up for a free trial as well.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dave_261
Yes. This is how it works.

Based on the other feedback here, sounds like it's very low odds at this point. That said, you never know as people do change flights and people do misconnect, but if you are the lucky winner, it will almost definitely not happen until right before the flight at the gate.

The best source of info is Expertflyer, but you need a paid subscription to access data like this. You can sign up for a free trial as well.
I'd say the odds are ostensibly zero. Sure, a miracle can happen, but the OP should not expect to clear.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is C space open right now on Thursday on LHR-JFK and LHR-RDU and on Friday on 2 of the LHR-JFK flights, so if you could somehow change your flights and make a connection to ORD work then you could confirm the upgrade now.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

What is the best way to check how many seats are available for the flight? How did people find out that it is J2?
The possibility of your being at the top of the upgrade list if you have no status is marginal. You may have a gift SWU, but you must rely on your status, not the donor’s. Further, the higher the flyer’s status, the earlier the upgrade window will open for them. See Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Don't do it that way.
Why would one not do it this way? You don't even need to login to look at flight availability and seats – you certainly don't need to go anywhere close to actually booking anything.

But for someone without an expert flyer subscription, or even someone with one, this is by far the easiest to browse seat availability across multiple flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.