Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)

Old Dec 12, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade SWU (ex-VIP / VIPOW / "eVIP") 2017 on
Please read this wiki for important information not documented elsewhere.
NOTE: CHANGES

NOTE: SWUs are no longer automatically awarded upon achieving Platinum Pro (PP) or Executive Platinum (EXP) status. Starting in the 2021 calendar year, AA switched to Elite Choice Awards. When a member achieves PP status, the member earns one Elite Choice Award. If the member goes on to achieve EXP status, the member earns two additional elite choice awards. Each elite choice award can be redeemed until 12/31 of the following year (example: a member who reaches PP in July 2021 has until December 31, 2022 to redeem the elite choice award). A PP elite choice award can be redeemed for one SWU or other choices; each EXP elite choice award can be redeemed for two SWUs or other choices. Therefore, a member who reaches EXP can choose from one to five SWUs. When an elite choice award is redeemed for one or two SWUs, the SWU(s) are immediately deposited, and expire one year from the day they are deposited.

NOTE: SWUs awarded in 2019 expiring 31 Jan 2021 have been extended through 31 July 2021; this is now reflected in online accounts.

NOTE: Upgrade waitlist priority is 1) Status, followed by 2) type of upgrade, 3)Rolling EQD earning for last 365 days as of 20 May 2017. Link to FT thread.
  • Executive Platinum members receive an additional two SWUs (or may choose bonus miles or to gift status) when they reach 120,000, 160,000 and 200,000 EQMs in 2021 (which includes January and February 2022).
(No further SWUs are forthcoming at 250,000 EQM or after, though CK often have access to two more.)

Remember: EQM earning will vary from 0 to 3.0 EQM per base mile, based on eligible fare class and marketing airline, on EQM earning fares.

As of January 2017

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized is you'll be listed according to your elite status level followed by (the type of upgrade - SWU and Upgrade Award, aka miles + copay), the number of EQD (Elite Qualifying Dollars) earned in the (rolling) last 12 months."

Upgrades are prioritized first by the following elite status levels:

Concierge Key SM (up to 120 hours out)
Executive Platinum (up to 100 hours out)
Platinum Pro (up to 72 hours out)
Platinum (up to 48 hours out)
Gold (up to 24 hours out)

After status tier, upgrades are prioritized by the type of upgrade (SWU and miles + copay before 500 Mile e-upgrades / UDU; your last 12 months' Elite Qualifying Dollar spend on AA. See FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on) (EQD will include the EQD offset one might earn from spend on their Barclaycard Aviator Red or Silver card, as announced elsewhere in this forum.)

Date of request has no bearing on upgrade priority other than after all other priorities have been met and theres a highly unlikely tie.

From AA.com... "Before you get to the airport, requests for systemwide and mileage award upgrades are processed independently from 500-mile upgrade requests.

At the airport, upgrades requested will be prioritized in this order:
  1. Status tier (CK, EXP, PPRO, PLT, GLD, no status)
  2. Upgrade type
    • Systemwide and mileage + copay upgrades
    • 500-mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    • 500-mile upgrades on award tickets for eligible status tiers
  3. Rolling last 12 month EQD spend
  4. Fare booking code (highest to lowest )
  5. Date/time of the request
  6. Load Factor Based Upgrades (after all other upgrade requests have been fulfilled)

See: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp

Systemwide Upgrade FAQ:

Q. What are Systemwide Upgrades, exactly?

Electronic Systemwide Upgrades, abbreviated SWU, also previously referred to as eVIPs or VIPs, are electronic instruments earned as stated previously. SWU generally allow the owner to upgrade up to three segments, more or less in the same direction, on any flights AA flies with their own aircraft (not valid on partners or codeshares -- flights must be marketed and operated by AA), on most paid, published fares to the next class of service. (Successful upgrades on a single SWU include EZE-MIA-JFK-LHR, NRT-LAX-DFW-LHR.)

Q. When do SWU clear?
Upgrades can clear immediately if the appropriate inventory is available (e.g., Coach to Business (and domestic First on two class aircraft) requires "C" class to be available, Business to First requires "A" class to be available). Otherwise, SWU may be waitlisted in priority of AAdvantage status, followed by last 12 months EQD spend (and within those, by fare class if they are full fare Y).

Q. Can I use SWU on codeshares operated by AA?
No. (Though 001 AA ticketing is not a requirement), the flight must be marketed and operated by AA.

Q. Are any fare classes ineligible / invalid for SWU upgrades?
Some government and consolidator fares may not be upgraded. Award flights may not be upgraded with SWU. See post #683 by JonNYC:

Invalid (for SWU upgrade)
  • Military fares*
  • Government fares*
  • Agency/industry discounts
  • Employee travel booked in E
  • AAdvantage/promotion free or companion tickets
  • Ticket designators that require a certificate (CEN20, etc.) - contact MSD to verify
  • MSD Site products (ticket designator SITE)
  • CAT25/CAT25 Group Fares for MCLA
  • Charter flights
  • Infant tickets
  • Purchased extra seats (one passenger)
  • Opaque fares
  • Award tickets

*The reason for not allowing SWU / eVIP upgrades to be used in conjunction with a military/government fare is not based on the fare level (although they are discounted), but rather it is based on the full flexibility those fares provide. Military/government fares provide a huge benefit to the customer already in that they can be booked at the last minute and canceled or changed with no advance notice and no penalties. As such, they are not allowed to be used in conjunction with a SWU.

Can I still make use of my SWU and credit the flight(s) to another airline?
You are not supposed to. If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

From the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link)

Q. Can I see SWU eligible flights on aa.com? If not, where?
aa.com will show if a flight has SWU availability, provided the member is logged in and has sufficient SWUs in their account. One can see required inventory (A or C) using ExpertFlyer Upgrade and Award query (not Flight Availability query) or other tools.

Q. What is the priority order for SWU wait list clearing?
Priority for wait listing is based first on AAdvantage status of requestor, then by rolling EQD earning during las 12 months; within those criteria, full fare (J or Y) trumps discounted fares.

NOTE: once the booking goes to airport control you may have to request your SWU request be reactivated. Those travel companions previously prioritized by the sponsor's status no longer revert to their own status at airport control.

Q. How do I know if my SWU request has been waitlisted?
The app as well as the web page shows requested and confirmed upgrades.

If my SWU clears on AA but the flights is cancelled or delayed, and I get put on another AA or partner flight, will my upgrade be preserved / honored?

On AA and Joint Business Venture partners (AY, BA, IB, JL, QF), AA will attempt to honor the upgrade. On other airline partners it is unlikely.

Q. Can I gift SWUs to others, and will my or their status apply?
You may certainly gift SWU to others. They will have to provide you their information, including PNR, and you will have to call it in. Your status can carry over to one traveling companion (on your itinerary) until the SWU passes to airport control; otherwise, SWU priority will depend on the user's AAdvantage status followed by date of upgrade request.

Q. What if I apply a SWU to a traveling companion?
They will borrow your status if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesnt now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Can I sell or purchase SWUs to / from others (e.g. on eBay or CraigsList)?
While SWU may be gifted to others, AAdvantage rules prohibit selling / purchasing, trading or bartering various instruments, including SWU. A sold SWU will, if caught by AA Corporate Security AAdvantage Fraud (and they actively seek these out), cause SWU / upgrade cancellation at minimum and may even include closing the seller's account with forfeiture of miles, upgrade instruments and even elite status.

Further useful details about using SWU

● Members who achieve Platinum Pro (PP) status receive one Elite Choice Award, which may be redeemed for one SWU (among other choices). Members who achieve PP between 1/1/2021 and 2/28/2022 have until 12/31/2022 to redeem the Elite Choice Award. If an SWU is chosen, the SWU is immediately deposited and expires one year from the date deposited.

● Members who achieve Executive Platinum (EXP) status receive two Elite Choice Awards, each of which may be redeemed for two SWUs (among other choices). Members who achieve EXP between 1/1/2021 and 2/28/2022 have until 12/31/2022 to redeem their Elite Choice Awards. If two SWUs are chosen for an award, the SWUs are immediately deposited and expire one year from the date deposited.

● Members who reach 120,000, 160,000 or 200,000 EQMs between 1/1/2021 and 2/28/2022 may choose two SWUs (or additional redeemable miles or a gift of status) upon reaching 120,000, 160,000 and 200,000 EQMs.

Two SWUs (more) are earned by Concierge Key members.

Four SWUs are earned by those crossing Million Miler thresholds of 2MM and every Million Miles milestone thereafter.

● SWUs may be transferred or gifted (not bargained, bartered or sold) to anyone the owner chooses - the owner must authorize the transfer and provide at minimum the designated person's name, frequent flyer #, and PNR. Note fees and taxes may be due, such as APD / Air Passenger Duty due for flights originating in the UK (or with connections exceeding 23:59).

● AA tends to protect passengers granted upgrades with SWUs if IROPS move them to other oneworld flights, particularly JBV partners (AA, AY, BA, IB, JL, preserving already granted upgrades (not waitlisted).

● N.B. A customer may use an SWU to upgrade a flight that departs after the SWU's expiration date, provided the SWU clears (the upgrade is confirmed) and the ticket is (re)issued before the SWU expires. (Previously this had been allowed only for 'high value' customers). See for example:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...wide-upgrades/

● N.B. In the good old days, if there were not sufficient C space (e.g., a party of three but only two upgrades available), agents could ask Revenue Management to release an additional seat, which revenue management sometimes would. This is no longer done, even for CK.

● If you don't want to wait list your SWU so that it automatically encumbered when a domestic segment becomes available for upgrade, but only want the domestic segments to clear if the international segment clears, ask the AA EP agent to waitlist the international portion but "DSR" the domestic segments; that way, the domestic segments will only clear if the international segment clears. Note: it's possible that the domestic segment has SWU upgrade inventory initially, but by the time the international flight becomes available to upgrade, availability is gone on the domestic flight.

● SWU application can include co-terminals: JonNYC, post #601: "This is the current list of MAC airports, and, as far as I understand it, are generally recognized for revenue tickets including SWU application to same:
  • WAS (DCA, IAD)
  • DFW (DFW, DAL)
  • HOU (HOU, IAH)
  • NYC (JFK, LGA) (I think there is a separate rule that says EWR is always part of NYC for this purpose as well)
  • LON (LGW, LHR, STN)
  • SLU (UVF, SLU)
  • TYO (HND, NRT)

UK Air Passenger Duty / APD for LHR/UK departures: (Often incorrectly called "Luxury tax"): Departing from the UK (or on a layover of 24:00 or longer via the U.K.), you'll be charged the full APD (the lowest cabin class - usually economy - pays only half APD). This applies for upgrades to business only. Upgrading business to first doesn't incur this, (since your business ticket already included the full APD). This does not apply TO the U.K. or to connecting in under 24:00 in the U.K. Other airports may impose other taxes, e.g. HKG is USD $2.80.

● Through (two flights with the same flight number, or through flights with stops) flights pose challenges insofar as upgrade availability must exist on all sectors. You may have to call AA to use a SWU on through flights.

Suggested reading:

aa.com: SYSTEMWIDE UPGRADES AND FAQS

FlyerTalk: Upgrades / SWUs / eVIPs and UK APD / Air Passenger Duty questions

New *internal* changes will 90%+ eliminate post-expiration use of SWUs by JonNYC

This post in the thread entitled "Reversing Use of SWU. Is this possible?" (it is not. AA no longer allows cancelling a SWU and substituting "stickers".)

MODERATOR NOTE
Archived posts from 2017 may be read here.

Posts prior to 2016 may be read here: ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

NOTE: This thread is for the discussion of the mechanics of AA systemwide upgrades. For "chance of upgrade clearing" questions, please use this thread: 2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Please note there is a separate thread discussing lost / missing/ misappropriated SWUs:
Missing / someone else used / unauthorized use my SWU / VIP / eVIP (merged)

American AAdvantage Forum Moderator Team
FAQ: Internal IT changes eliminate 90+% of post-expiry SWU use 26 Jun 2014
Q. I've been able to encumber expiring SWU past their expiration date if I find the proper upgrade inventory available prior to that date. Is this feature still available to Executive Platinum members?

A. Not for most. The option was possible due to software limitations. New software, AAcoRN, put into place 26 June 2014, will prevent this from occurring for "unqualified" members; only "qualified" members will be allowed to encumber SWU past their expiry date in the future. (See post #1)

Q. How do I know if I am a "qualified" member?

A. You can try to call and encumber expiring SWU past their expiry. If you are not allowed to, you aren't.

Q. So, exactly who does AA consider "qualified"?

A. A very high value AAdvantage member, as measured by the internal "Helix" system, which assigns an "Eagles" ranking from 1 to 5 (the more, the better).

Q. I've never heard of this. When did it start?

A. AA's rating system was originally based on three colors, green, yellow and red, which changed to 1-3 Eagles and was later expanded to 1-5 Eagles.

Q. How are Eagles scores assigned? Are they static, or do they change?

A. It has been said spend and fare classes (think lots of annual travel in fare classes of D and above) may affect your Eagles score, as well as OSO and negative incidents you have experienced that might result in your moving your custom to another airline. It is also said your Helix score is updated periodically, perhaps even nightly.

Q. How can I find out my Helix score / how many Eagles I have?

A. You can't. AA employees are not empowered to discuss the Helix system with customers. If you normally get extra SWU once you've made EP, are allowed to extend SWU use and find EP desk agents are willing to bend rules for you often, speculative, you might have 4-5 Eagles rating.

Q. So, this is a hidden tier higher than Executive Platinum?

A. No, because it doesn't give you privileges beyond EP beyond those mentioned, e.g. courtesy Club membership or additional priority for boarding or upgrades, like Concierge Key may.

Q. Do others than Executive Platinum have Helix / Eagles scores?

A. It can be safely assumed all AAdvantage members have such scores.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)

Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Arrow FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)

It looks like I'll be hitting 150k EQM by the end of the year, so I should get the coveted two additional SWUs (that will place me at 75% of what we EXPs used to get before the "enhancements" ).

Will the SWUs obtained be valid through 2018? I'm assuming so, but I just wanted to make sure there weren't any crazy rules I didn't know about.

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 28, 2023 at 10:32 am Reason: Cleaning up OP of the FAQ thread
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by brewdog11
coveted
Ha! Try worthless.

EXP is now no better than plat plus/plat as far as I'm concerned.

1. No additional inventory available for award travel
2. SWU's that aren't worth the paper they are printed on
3. No SDC for international routes

Oh wait I forgot ...there is light at the end of tunnel! I get a free snack on board!!

Lonedaddy likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:19 pm

anyone else noticing a delay in SWU clearing.

on flights with a nearly empty Business Cabin.

Happened a few weeks ago on ORD-LHR. Cleared at the gate on a business cabin which flew out half full.

Am flying AA 150 ORD-CDG this Thursday and it hasnt cleared as an Exec Plat with 16 seats open.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: CK or bust
SWU's clearing? Then there's hope left!

On a more serious note, apart from the overall RM stinginess, it's pure speculation but winter months could see more seats held back in the event of weather IRROPs although it's quite early to see that thus far.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
This has been fairly widely discussed, but SWU will not clear unless AA makes C class available and they have been very stingy releasing these in advance the last year to 18 months. Sometimes in wide open cabins they'll make a few C fare class spots available a week or so out, others may show a few days out. For many flights they're just not releasing them at all until gate control. EF is a good resource to monitor C fare class availability (I'm pretty sure I was able to jump the queue by seeing an Expert Flyer C alert on a recent HND to LAX flight and calling in to manually process the clearing of SWU two days ahead of time).

Caution that seats showing in the booking engine does not equal seats for sale. There are a surprising amount of folks who don't choose seats until check-in. Better way to check availability is to do an EF availability search or to try to dummy book multiple seats (4, 5, 6, etc) in J and see when it says sold out.

ORD - CDG this Thursday is J7, R7, D2 but is C0; I'd say there's a pretty good shot of clearing. Looks like it's C2 for Wednesday's flight so chance they open up some C space and clear some folks over the next 24 hours
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by lds89
This has been fairly widely discussed, but SWU will not clear unless AA makes C class available and they have been very stingy releasing these in advance the last year to 18 months.
This.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EP
Nope. Never heard of this happening. :-)
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
my SWU clears yesterday for sat night flight LAX HKG
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I used miles and copay for LAX-HKG (still C bucket) this morning for a flight at the end of the month.

I also noticed a lot of C available on the LAX-NRT flights.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:15 pm

Prior to scheduling this trip I had 4 expiring 1/31/2018 and 4 expiring 1/31/2019.
I scheduled this trip.
Outbound 1/31
Return 2/6
I would have assumed they would have pulled one certificate expiring 1/31/2018 and one expiring 1/31/2019. I'm delighted to say they pulled both from the 1/31/2017 batch. Has anyone seen this before? Will it stick?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chuck1
Prior to scheduling this trip I had 4 expiring 1/31/2018 and 4 expiring 1/31/2019.
I scheduled this trip.
Outbound 1/31
Return 2/6
I would have assumed they would have pulled one certificate expiring 1/31/2018 and one expiring 1/31/2019. I'm delighted to say they pulled both from the 1/31/2017 batch. Has anyone seen this before? Will it stick?
That is the right way to do it. I've seen this myself. You'll be fine.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I think my upgrade cleared, but...

So I'm seeing some weirdness associated with an upgrade, and want to find out if I need to do anything about it. I'm trying to use up my SWUs on a family vacation trip in January. We're travelling from DCA to SFO, with two legs each way, and I have 2 passengers on each of 2 PNRs. I first applied 2SWUs to a PNR with my wife and one of the kids, and it cleared one segment (ORD-SFO) on the outbound at booking. I asked to have them waitlist the other segment (DCA-ORD). I then applied 2 SWUs to my own PNR (which I share with the other kid) for the two outbound segments, and asked the agent to set it up so the SWU on the DCA-ORD segment would not clear unless the longer segment (ORD-SFO) cleared. Yesterday, I took at look at my booking on the app, and it looked like the ORD-SFO segment had disappeared. Flipping through the booking, I saw it now listed after the two return segments (though with the correct outbound date), with me and my kid both having seats in first. I checked the "upgrades" tab to make sure we were waitlisted on the other segment, and that tab shows that I've requested the 500 mile upgrades for the DCA-ORD segment, and says "N/A" for the ORD-SFO segment. I also checked on AA.com and it shows the same strangeness on my trip booking-- my outbound DCA-ORD is listed at the top, along with "500 mile upgrade requested, followed by the two return segments, followed by the ORD-SFO outbound segment, which again says "Not applicable" under upgrade, but shows the cabin as first. So far the 2 SWUs for my PNR have not been deducted from my account (though I know that sometimes takes time). I checked my wife's booking, and hers shows all segments in the correct order, with "System wide Upgrade Confirmed" next to the ORD-SFO segment, which is what I had been expecting to see next to mine.
So-- did my SWU clear and this is just some website/app glitch? Should I be concerned that it doesn't list the SWU as cleared for that segment, and that for whatever reason, the second outbound flight shows up after the two return flights on both the website and app? This was my first year as EP, so I'm not very familiar with the ways of SWUs, and want to make sure I don't run into problems later...
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
What is the consensus on use of a SWU for LAX-LHR? An overnight flight and I generally consider the 77W seat in the mini-cabin up front to be equivalent to many mediocre F products so rarely throw in for the upgrade. Flight shows A2 today so I could get right into F. I actually used Y-C upgrades from cheapo economy fare for my wife and I for the first time this year, so wondering if I should save my CY'18 SWUs for that...
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
That is the right way to do it. I've seen this myself. You'll be fine.
I'm delighted but just curious why is that the right way?
I would have though the 1/30/18 flight would have been pulled from the 1/31/18 expiring batch and the return 2/6/18 would have been pulled from the 1/31/19 batch, but again, very happy.

And the agent told me since the longhaul cleared on the outbound, but not the domestic inbound connection, they put in a DS (desire) and not HL (waitlist). Is that correct? Will an DS convert to KL (cleared if it opens up)?
She told me not to waitlist it because that would pull another certificate but a desire would not.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chuck1
I'm delighted but just curious why is that the right way?
I would have though the 1/30/18 flight would have been pulled from the 1/31/18 expiring batch and the return 2/6/18 would have been pulled from the 1/31/19 batch, but again, very happy.

And the agent told me since the longhaul cleared on the outbound, but not the domestic inbound connection, they put in a DS (desire) and not HL (waitlist). Is that correct? Will an DS convert to KL (cleared if it opens up)?
She told me not to waitlist it because that would pull another certificate but a desire would not.
In the past, if you have requalified for EXP (which you did), they would honor the older SWU on a flight beyond the expiration date as long as you applied it before the expiration date. There has been some discussion as to whether they still do this and obviously, in your case, they still do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.