Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEED ADVICE: Cancelled flight and additional expenses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEED ADVICE: Cancelled flight and additional expenses

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by unionunionunion
Unfortunately, the problems you experiences on AA are becoming more common. You should be compensated for this service meltdown. Your best approach is to file a complaint with the Department of Transportation. You can do so here: https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm
Are you blaming AA for the major ATC issue that happened on that day?
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by unionunionunion
Unfortunately, the problems you experiences on AA are becoming more common. You should be compensated for this service meltdown. Your best approach is to file a complaint with the Department of Transportation. You can do so here: https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm
I don't think experiences with lighting having a direct strike on the FAA TRACON for the Dallas area which resulted in closing of Dallas Love and DFW are becoming more common. Can't remember that happening before but maybe I've missed it.

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Whilst not helpful at all, I feel sorry for OP and this is a strong advice for me not to rely on 'self-connecting' (or however you call it) tickets and to always book tickets directly to my final destination (note to myself).
I think OP had a solid plan and left plenty of room to navigate most issues, with the flight in the night before. I wouldn't be concerned about doing something like that. Plus, OP was nimble enough to shift to OKC when all the Dallas options were shut down.

That's a different question, however, than whether OP should expect compensation from AA because the FAA shut down air traffic to DAL and DFW which resulted in the crew timing out.
JDiver, wrp96, nancypants and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Please accept my apologies - you might have recognized that English is not my first language so sorry for my poor form. And even when I relate to 'always' as 'I won't do in 100% of cases anything else' please trust me that I was running enough after planes booked on separate connections (e.g. from Air Asia to SQ in SIN last week) so that I am really keen to note to myself that I won't do in 100% of cases again (so 'always') especially when I see OP's example.
Cheers, D
Fair enough. I meant it for all the people out there who read but haven't joined (like I did for a few years, learning, trying to get advice on what to do vs. not do) that the decision of risk v. reward is highly personal and depends on what each person who is traveling values. That will be different across travelers.

Your reasoning totally makes sense, and you stick to that. Mine is slightly different, only because I have saved more collectively by buying separate tickets, then I've had to "pay out" when I've had to "self insure." YMMV.
C17PSGR, MSPeconomist and Duck1981 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Under both BA and AA's COC, the ticket will be refunded as the flight was cancelled.

Under AA's system, OP must contact AA and ask that it be refunded. AA should take care of notifying BA. But, to be certain, I would contact BA the next travel day.

AA will not cover any of OP's additional costs. It is unlikely that travel insurance will do so either as few policies cover expenses relating to transfers between separate tickets. Once OP gets the ticket refund issue settled, he is free to send AA a note and it is possible that AA may toss a few miles his way, but it won't be much and his note should be 2-3 short declarative sentences. Be pleased if you see anything, but don't plan your next vacation on it.

The only lesson here is that when transferring between separate tickets, one bears 100% of the risk. The longer one allows, the lower the risk, but it cannot be eliminated. Thus, the practice is always a matter of an individual's risk tolerance.
trooper and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As a data point, I was also caught in that delay in Dallas on the same day. My flight was delayed for 16 hours. AA paid for my hotel after I insisted the original 2 hour delay was mechanical, before being caught in the ATC fiasco and eventual fuel and crew issues. They also gave me 10k AA miles as a customer service gesture today. However, i have travel insurance which would have paid for my hotel if AA hadn't.
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
hard to know why your first flight was cancelled.

your second flight, however, was cancelled because of an ATC outage. That's completely out of AA control and I think it's unreasonable to expect AA to do anything because of that. As you may know, it was because of a lightning strike shutting down the control tower. Presumably that lightning strike cost American tens of thousands of dollars, if not more, and inconvenienced thousands of passengers at both Dallas area airports.

I am curious why you think American had some responsibility for that?
There were many things that i felt were wrong:
  • Parking a plane on the tarmac for 1 hour should not cause fuel shortage for the flight
  • Why not cancel the flight immediately if you don't have alternate crew or not knowing where you will get the crew from is utter lack of planning.
  • Lying to the customers that the crew is on its way and delay the flights 15 mins at a time is clearly ingenuous.
  • Gate Agent lying that you can collect your bags from bag claim
  • Being told by baggage claim agent that it is too late and bagroom is closed so we can't deliver bags back to their customers
  • Baggage service agent writing very specific instructions including flight numbers and airport codes as to where the bag needs needs to be routed in the morning and then not following those instructions in the morning and instead sending the bags to PIT.

Once the flight is canceled not being able to hand the bags back to the customer is unacceptable.
MSPeconomist and altabello like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Which credit card did you use for the taxes and fees on the award tickets? Hopefully one with good trip and bag delay coverage. That's where you should start.
I used Amex Gold but unfortunately the entire fare has to be paid with the card to avail bag delay insurance. Taxes and fees on award tickets being paid with Gold does not provide any insurance.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
You may wish to contact BAEC to see if you can get your Avios back. To determine the policy governing that, please consult the British Airways Executive Club forum.

As to AA, the weather related issues are considered “force majeure”; AA won’t cover hotels, rental cars, etc. when the delaying conditions are beyond their control. As you were on separate ticketing, AA was obligated to deliver your baggage to you at IAD, no farther.
Hiding behind weather in this particular case is simply unacceptable. This is not like a snowstorm shutting down the airport and hundreds of flights being cancelled. During the 8 hours i was at the airport literally hundreds of flights took off. Every other plane in the queue took off. AA operates 17 flights a day between DFW and Washington airports and literally hundreds of connections through their other hubs and they could not accommodate us in a 24 hour period. As far as bags are concerned I was assured by AA Baggage CSRs many times over the course of 3 days that the bags will be delivered to the final destination. I was told that a world tracer needs to be created at the final destination which is reviewed by all airlines and that is how bags are routed. The same story was provided by SAS in IAD, Swiss in ZRH and South African Airways in Cape Town. I will be shocked if all of them are lying and on top of that their description of the approach 100% matches. (BTW they were all aware of the separate tickets as well). I was given a hard copy of the world tracer by South African airways and i was told by them that they will deliver the bag to the hotel once they receive it in cape town. I also provide the world tracer number to AA baggage CSR and they were already aware of the number and acknowledged that they were working on sending the bags. Why give false assurances to the customers if their responsibility was not deliver beyond IAD.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This is an example of the issues with making separate bookings. If you had a through booking, then AA would have been responsible to get bags to ZA and handle any misconnections that occurred - if bags were delayed to ZA, then AA would have been liable for costs incurred

In this case, AA's responsibility was solely to get bags and you to IAD; since you didn't board, the bags , it seems, quite correctly stayed in DFW

Other than maybe some miles, I don't see it likely that AA will provide any compensation for this - if you cancelled the AA booking, you should be able to get the points back
It did not stay in DFW it actually went to PIT the next day as i could check in the app. While it was in PIT I spoke with the agent and he promised that he will route it on BA via PIT-LHR-CPT. See my other post as to what actually happened with the bags.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Too many of you are focused on separate ticketing aspect which completely misses the fundamental issue of reaching the destination for an extremely important event.on time. My issue is AA had the responsibility of getting me to Washington over a 24 hour window and they failed miserably for which they definitely owe me something. Instead of having another flight next day I could very easily be best man at a wedding, speaking at a conference, attending a very important business meeting and the same consequences would apply. Infact I did make my intl. flight out of IAD. I would have done the same for the other situations described earlier and still want AA to compensate me because they failed in the promise to get me to my destination for an important event on time.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by svasandani
There were many things that i felt were wrong:
  • Parking a plane on the tarmac for 1 hour should not cause fuel shortage for the flight
  • Why not cancel the flight immediately if you don't have alternate crew or not knowing where you will get the crew from is utter lack of planning.
  • Lying to the customers that the crew is on its way and delay the flights 15 mins at a time is clearly ingenuous.
  • Gate Agent lying that you can collect your bags from bag claim
  • Being told by baggage claim agent that it is too late and bagroom is closed so we can't deliver bags back to their customers
  • Baggage service agent writing very specific instructions including flight numbers and airport codes as to where the bag needs needs to be routed in the morning and then not following those instructions in the morning and instead sending the bags to PIT.

Once the flight is canceled not being able to hand the bags back to the customer is unacceptable.
With all due respect, I disagree,

Planes go out with projected fuel usage and a required extra load in case of diversion. Below, you said the aircraft was on the tarmac for 90 minutes, not one hour. We don't know what number your aircraft was to take off once the FAA RESTORED COMMUNICATIONS. It may well have been another hour. Dozen of lights were diverted. AA had no idea how long it would that the FAA TO RESTORE COMMUNICATIONS AND OPEN AIR TRAVEL TO/FROM THE DALLAS AIRPORTS. And, of course, AA didn't have all their crews in place.

I doubt the gate agent was lying. I presume your luggage may have been returned to the bag claim ... but it likely took a while.

I understand your frustration and think you had a good plan and were nimble to get the situation fixed. But expecting AA to take responsibility for a lightning strike on the TRACON is too much.

There are some things that are Force d'Majeure and this is one of them. You and your family should be glad you were quick thinking enough to deal with a situation that could have turned out worse.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
so is expecting AA to send the bags to CPT, when your ticket is to IAD...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:26 pm

Too many of you are focused on separate ticketing aspect which completely misses the fundamental issue of reaching the destination for an extremely important event.on time. My issue is AA had the responsibility of getting me to Washington over a 24 hour window and they failed miserably for which they definitely owe me something. Instead of having another flight next day I could very easily be best man at a wedding, speaking at a conference, attending a very important business meeting and the same consequences would apply. Infact I did make my intl. flight out of IAD. I would have done the same for the other situations described earlier and still want AA to compensate me because they failed in the promise to get me to my destination for an important event on time.
While many understand your frustration (myself included), to say AA “owes you something” and needs to “compensate” you is a bit much. Could they and should they make a goodwill gesture? Sure...and they probably will, but they don’t need to compensate you. They would have ultimately gotten you to IAD, which is the only duty they had to you. They would have done that had you not decided to get there some other way. Anything beyond that is beyond them.

And this is someone who is a chronic complainer to AA customer service. I’ve certainly learned the difference between asking compensation versus a goodwill gesture.

Last edited by rumboj; Jul 10, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
With all due respect, I disagree,

Planes go out with projected fuel usage and a required extra load in case of diversion. Below, you said the aircraft was on the tarmac for 90 minutes, not one hour. We don't know what number your aircraft was to take off once the FAA RESTORED COMMUNICATIONS. It may well have been another hour. Dozen of lights were diverted. AA had no idea how long it would that the FAA TO RESTORE COMMUNICATIONS AND OPEN AIR TRAVEL TO/FROM THE DALLAS AIRPORTS. And, of course, AA didn't have all their crews in place.

I doubt the gate agent was lying. I presume your luggage may have been returned to the bag claim ... but it likely took a while.

I understand your frustration and think you had a good plan and were nimble to get the situation fixed. But expecting AA to take responsibility for a lightning strike on the TRACON is too much.

There are some things that are Force d'Majeure and this is one of them. You and your family should be glad you were quick thinking enough to deal with a situation that could have turned out worse.
I might give it you on the first point though the ATC outage was not more than 60 mins. Total time away from gate was 90 mins.
I am not blaming AA for ATC outage but even after the flight returned to the gate it was not canceled for another 5 hours and there was absolutely no weather, lightning or ATC issue in those 5 hours. Hence, I simply cannot buy the Force d'Majeure clause. Either the gate agent or the baggage claim agent has to be lying because what each of them told me was the complete opposite of the other. Both simply cannot be right.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bse118
so is expecting AA to send the bags to CPT, when your ticket is to IAD...
What I was referring here is being able to hand the bag back to me in DFW after the flight was cancelled at 1AM.My understanding is once a flight a cancelled the customer has a choice to not travel anymore and in that case the bag should be returned to customer at point of origin. Also, irrespective of whether they are required to deliver the bag to CPT or not once the commit (not once but 3 times) they must live by that commitment or atleast tell the customer bluntly that it is not our responsibility to deliver to CPT.
deeruck and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.