Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor, Speculation: AAdvantage Program Devaluation 31 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
What plane has 9 across in PE?
I don't believe any have 9 in PE, most are 8 vs 10 in Y. There was some 777 configs that had 9 across for MCE and 10 in regular Y IIRC so perhaps that was the confusion.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I think that's where you and I have a different perspective, but I do see your point and where you're coming from. MCE is simply a designation for additional legroom seats within the Main Economy Cabin, albeit with the perk of complimentary beverages. I don't view MCE as being a separate class of service in its own right. However, I do see PE as being a distinct, separate, higher class cabin. I definitely don't see it as being a subset of the main cabin.

Again, I totally understand your point of view and you make some good points. Whether or not you or I or @cova or @enviorian feel that there's a big enough differential between Y and PE to justify them being separate cabins for the purposes of an upgrade is probably moot (and very subjective) although AA definitely seems to view them that way, at least from a pricing and revenue perspective.

I am also not sure EXPs would flee in droves though. We already have enough people stating they'll never fly [insert carrier here] for whatever reason, and we read constantly of ever decreasing availability for upgrades (whether based on status, miles & copay or SWU) but AA still seems to fill its planes. I think that if such a change were to happen then you may just find people purchasing P / W tickets instead of Y. To be honest, on the last few occasions when I booked Premium Economy there really wasn't that much difference in the price!
Yes I understand your point - and yes PE is a separate class. Last year I bought PE seats on the DFW-CDG for two of us since the price was not that much more (and you get some EQM bonuses). And it wasn't that bad - we were in the two bulk head seats - next to window - so no one next to us. The 4 in the middle is tight - I would not buy it if that is what was only available. But now the prices are significantly more.

I checked some flights to LHR and AA was offering WAS-LHR for about $2700 RT in J including connections via JFK. PE was about $2500 and coach was about $1200-1300. I would buy PE at maybe a $300 premium RT but certainly not double. The bulkhead coach rows are much better. I would even decline an comp PE upgrade if it meant moving from coach bulk head to PE middle seats.

I don't see people leaving AA in droves. I see more people realizing that FF benefits have declined so much - that it isn't really worth it anymore. I earn most of my miles from CC. I was planning to fly AA another 500K EQM to make LT Plat, but doesn't seem worth it since I have Lifetime 1K. Yes AA once offered better chance of upgrade domestically - but that has gone away. UA retains more E+ seating for international.

Even today EXP get Group 2 boarding. UK 1K get preboard - ahead for First Class (agree they have different levels of preboard and 1K is last) but it is still before Group 1. AA just doesn't offer what it used to.

People are best to choose what works best for them and forget about FF benefits - as they are minimum now and no one dominates except Alaska Air - but their route structure is minimal.

So my plans are go back to UA, and continue with AA for east coast flights - but I might consider looking at JetBlue as secondary. AA no longer flies DCA-FLL but JetBlue and Southwest do.
enviroian and Geordie405 like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
have noticed this, group 9 seemongly continues to grow. On the last several flights, it seems to be 30+% of the boarding group.
Yes Group 9 grows and AA doesn't enforce seating like UA does. On a flight a few months ago DCA-LAX nonstop - I was in exit row aisle and middle seat was empty. As soon as door closed a guy was the last row (that had a group 9 boarding pass saying Basic Economy) moved himself up to the middle exit row. He was a tall guy who need the extra room and he was broad (not fat) and initially sat a little sideways.

But point is - AA passengers are getting smart and know they can buy Basic Group 9 and get E+ and free bag check at gate. They don't have to buy a better seat when they know they can get if for free. Now UA really checks and this would not be allowed.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cova
Yes Group 9 grows and AA doesn't enforce seating like UA does. On a flight a few months ago DCA-LAX nonstop - I was in exit row aisle and middle seat was empty. As soon as door closed a guy was the last row (that had a group 9 boarding pass saying Basic Economy) moved himself up to the middle exit row. He was a tall guy who need the extra room and he was broad (not fat) and initially sat a little sideways.

But point is - AA passengers are getting smart and know they can buy Basic Group 9 and get E+ and free bag check at gate. They don't have to buy a better seat when they know they can get if for free. Now UA really checks and this would not be allowed.
Yup. This is what no/inconsistent rules and enforcement get you.

Meanwhile, some zealous supervisor forced me to put my backpack in a sizer despite being in J on a 777 Since, you know, it may not fit in one of the TWO overhead bins I basically have to myself.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With consistency , the agents would always check that bags are compliant with the rules - I suspect that inconsistency is preferred by many

There are not many airlines that I know of that object to a passenger moving from one seat to another seat within the same class of travel where a seat is free
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So, if they change the upgrade rules for SWU, what would happen to miles and copay rules and rates? Geez, what a disaster this airline is...
Spiff and enviroian like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
So, if they change the upgrade rules for SWU, what would happen to miles and copay rules and rates? Geez, what a disaster this airline is...
The ability to upgrade from discount economy to premium economy / premium economy to business without a co-payment perhaps
Old May 31, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
What plane has 9 across in PE?
my bad, it’s 8 across, an even bigger difference to Y. Hard to see folks not feeling that’s a meaningful difference.

(I edited my original post, thanks for the correction).
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are not many airlines that I know of that object to a passenger moving from one seat to another seat within the same class of travel where a seat is free
Wow - AA sells Exit Rows and MCE seats, in fact they sell preferred seats - non-MCE aisle for example. Elites get this for free (except Gold, until 24 hours). MCE is not a separate class but it offers extra benefits and costs extra. Like - reserved overhead space - label as such (hard to enforce), more leg room, free drinks, higher boarding group etc. So AA intends to make more money off those seats. So why should AA not enforce it like UA does.

Free seats on AA are middle seats toward the back. If families want to sit together then they need to buy some of those preferred seats (if they are not elite).

UA FA's see empty E+ seat on their sheet and it someone is sitting there they ask to see the boarding pass and ask for CC for payment or the passenger must move back. Again not a separate cabin but sold at a premium price and offered to Elites.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:14 pm

my understanding is that AA is charging for advance seat selection and that the seat selection cost is variable and not that AA specifically is charging for use of specific seats
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
my understanding is that AA is charging for advance seat selection and that the seat selection cost is variable and not that AA specifically is charging for use of specific seats
Can you clarify what you mean by this?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Can you clarify what you mean by this?
The charge is for advance seat selection of the seats - not that the seats themselves have a higher cost on the day of departure
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:04 am

The charge is for advance seat selection of the seats - not that the seats themselves have a higher cost on the day of departure
I have been elite for so many years, not sure how it works for non-elites at check in time. So what you are saying is that at check in time anyone in Economy (including Basic Economy) can choose any Economy seat for no extra charge?

I thought at least BE restricted seats to the very back and I thought MCE was additional cost or only for Gold or higher elites.

Yes, I know agents can place anyone in any seat - which happens when all other non-preferred seats are taken.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Stock price at a 5 year low and AA continues to gut their product. This management team is truly unbelievable. If I was nearly as bad at my job as they are at theirs ...
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cova
I have been elite for so many years, not sure how it works for non-elites at check in time. So what you are saying is that at check in time anyone in Economy (including Basic Economy) can choose any Economy seat for no extra charge?

I thought at least BE restricted seats to the very back and I thought MCE was additional cost or only for Gold or higher elites.

Yes, I know agents can place anyone in any seat - which happens when all other non-preferred seats are taken.
You can buy a BE ticket and be automatically assigned MCE if that's all that's left. I'm not sure what happens if you buy BE and don't select a seat at check-in if one is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.