Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MarkOK
At some point, I feel like I just need to book and then call to be put on the waiting list and hope they clear.
To me at this point they become utterly worthless.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:53 am

Agree 100%! With summer travel getting all the hype right now I'm not willing to gamble on an SWU waitlist clearing, so if I can'f confirm something to Europe I will start looking at alternate routes to use them on. With AUS and NZ supposedly opening up, would be great to try and use there but can that be trusted? South America could work... have to check on how 'open' Argentina and Chile are at the moment.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Honestly, I feel the same way. But, lots of people here report that they 'usually clear' at some point, and I can't diddle around with plans forever.

(And generally, I have found that the SWUs worth is overly-promised when it seems so tough to find availability. which is why I don't feel motivated to maintain 30 segments or reaching for the extra 75K LPs between PlatPro and Exec plat).

Still bummed that I had these exact SWUs in my account cleared at one time for DFW-HND, both there and back, for both my wife and I, back in early March 2020 for a trip that Sept. I've been trying to find use for them since that comes anywhere as close to being that good of a value.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Quite a bit of SWU space opened between CLT and MAD for July into August. Most days; both there and back. Still don't see hardly a thing from DFW to europe, but connecting through charlotte really doesn't look that bad, the fares aren't too bad, and I do want to visit Madrid. I think I may bite at this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Cleared a SWU Y-->J today for a PHL-LHR flight two weeks from today...
enviroian and apeortdz like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Is pay and miles upgrade the same fare class as SWU? ie. Business - Upgrade (Including 2-Cabin Domestic First) (C)
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Is pay and miles upgrade the same fare class as SWU? ie. Business - Upgrade (Including 2-Cabin Domestic First) (C)
yes
_kurt likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My issue with SWUs is that economy fares on longhaul travel seem kind of high right now -- to the point where I would rather just book an award (which are surprisingly easy to come by, and are much more flexible due to the number of carriers available) than pay for economy and use a SWU. All 4 of mine will probably expire unless I come across a good economy fare in the next couple of months.

My problem is that I have 4 of them from 2019 which have been being extended, but finally expire in June. Since I only just started traveling again, I don't have the flexibility that I think is required to get good value out of them -- a couple of months is really not that long to find a good fare. But we'll see what turns up.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Mar 15, 2022 at 6:04 pm
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
My issue with SWUs is that economy fares on longhaul travel seem kind of high right now -- to the point where I would rather just book an award (which are surprisingly easy to come by, and are much more flexible due to the bullet of carriers available) than pay for economy and use a SWU. All 4 of mine will probably expire unless I come across a good economy fare in the next couple of months.

My problem is that I have 4 of them from 2019 which have been being extended, but finally expire in June. Since I only just started traveling again, I don't have the flexibility that I think is required to get good value out of them -- a couple of months is really not that long to find a good fare. But we'll see what turns up.
Well if you don't find anything you could always toss them here, SWU / VIP Expiring by 31 Jan 2022 giveaway thread (NO ASK; terms & conditions)
I know flyer that wouldn't mind using them. ;-)
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Are SWUs currently unavailable?

I've noticed over the past few days (or really weeks) that I don't ever see the "systemwide upgrade" link pop up when I search flights anymore. I'm not just talking LAX-SYD on Christmas eve, I mean on any search I do, be it domestic or international. Generally, you'd see some flights have the "systemwide upgrade" link pop up and one of the segments would be confirmable. I've done a bunch of dummy searches with connections (AUS-MAD, CLT-TUS etc.) and it's not showing up for anything.

Is AA currently not confirming any SWU space at all, or do I just know how to search the bad routes?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Bad routes. I see quite a bit for short domestic flights.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I've noticed over the past few days (or really weeks) that I don't ever see the "systemwide upgrade" link pop up when I search flights anymore. I'm not just talking LAX-SYD on Christmas eve, I mean on any search I do, be it domestic or international. Generally, you'd see some flights have the "systemwide upgrade" link pop up and one of the segments would be confirmable. I've done a bunch of dummy searches with connections (AUS-MAD, CLT-TUS etc.) and it's not showing up for anything.

Is AA currently not confirming any SWU space at all, or do I just know how to search the bad routes?
Make sure you are logged in to aa.com, and also that you're searching either roundtrip or one-way (the SWU availability function doesn't work when searching multi-city).
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
That "feature" is also hit or miss on aa.com.

I just confirmed JFK-SFO 2 days ago (used a BXP, but the same C inventory), so can personally attest to SWU inventory being present. I used EF to check though.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Make sure you are logged in to aa.com, and also that you're searching either roundtrip or one-way (the SWU availability function doesn't work when searching multi-city).
Also make sure that you have SWUs available to be used. The link will not show up if you don't have any.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Also make sure that you have SWUs available to be used. The link will not show up if you don't have any.
Bingo! I currently have 0, but I can still select my PP, EXP, 120K, 160K, & 200K awards. I'll go ahead and throw my PP award in so I'll have some. Thanks!
VegasGambler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.