Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SamOF
Really? Of course understand why you wouldn’t want to do it, but it’s pretty fathomable.

No change fees, flying to London for a long weekend, and could just as easily go the following weekend with a chance of a lie flat on the way there?

I don’t know what trip planning other than canceling and rebooking your hotel one would be losing.
Really. More the concept than the actual mechanics of doing it.

An upgrade not clearing is an inconvenience. Its not a trip ending event.

10s of thousands of people fly long haul economy daily. It's not nearly as terrible as it is made out to be.

And I'd wager "weekend trips to London" are a small share of leisure trips involving a overseas longhair flight. Many such leisure trips are going to much more complicated...
Old May 4, 2022, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118
Really. More the concept than the actual mechanics of doing it.

An upgrade not clearing is an inconvenience. Its not a trip ending event.

10s of thousands of people fly long haul economy daily. It's not nearly as terrible as it is made out to be.

And I'd wager "weekend trips to London" are a small share of leisure trips involving a overseas longhair flight. Many such leisure trips are going to much more complicated...
I usually travel alone, mostly on a whim (oh, there's a cheap fare and I have nothing else to do). I honestly don't care when I travel. Moving a trip out a week or a month, or going somewhere else instead this time, is mostly inconsequential to me.

I am not willing to fly long haul economy because it's uncomfortable. I only travel for fun so if it's not an enjoyable experience there's no point. Usually for my longhaul travel I go whenever there's cheap premium cabin award space, or occasionally when there are extremely cheap premium cabin fares. SWUs throw a new wrinkle into it, because I don't necessarily know at booking whether that "cheap" premium cabin space is available.

I guess the point is, I'm not using the SWUs to make my a trip that I have to take anyway more comfortable. Just like I would not go if there was no J award space, I would not go if the SWUs won't clear. The difference is, I know at booking whether there is J award space (so there's nothing to cancel; I just don't book if the space is not there) but I don't know until later whether the SWUs will clear.
EXPLAT likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Have two PNRs on the same day on AA50 in June in J. The app is offering upgrade to F for $600. Once I requested to use SWUs (waitlisted) - that offer went away. I had the SWUs pulled off the res and the $600 J>F option is back.

Thoughts on using the SWUs vs just paying the difference (no LPs gained)?
Old May 4, 2022, 6:25 pm

Hoping someone can clarify the waitlist order priority for SWU/Mileage upgrades. If you're waitlisted with a SWU as an EXP @ 9:30pm, but someone else were also added to the waitlist before you, let's say an PPRO @ 9:29pm. Would the PPRO be above the EXP until the upgrade goes to the gate? Or is it as stated, Status, then upgrade type and then LP's?
Old May 4, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
Hoping someone can clarify the waitlist order priority for SWU/Mileage upgrades. If you're waitlisted with a SWU as an EXP @ 9:30pm, but someone else were also added to the waitlist before you, let's say an PPRO @ 9:29pm. Would the PPRO be above the EXP until the upgrade goes to the gate? Or is it as stated, Status, then upgrade type and then LP's?
No, time of request only matters if, e.g., you are both EXP and somehow have exactly the same LPs.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:43 am

Thanks. So essentially, the SWU waitlist priority is the same as the waitlist priority at the gate which also include complimentary upgrades.
Old May 25, 2022, 8:31 pm

Confirmable Systemwide Upgrades

Are there any routes from LAX that I can pre confirm a good international systemwide upgrade on? I have 4 that will expire end of July and I'd love to just find anywhere cool to travel (completely flexible work schedule), even if the travel is not til January but the upgrades can clear from my account now! I don't mind a connecting flight as long as the long international leg gets confirmed.

Is there any way to search for ALL systemwide availability other than just clicking through every City/Every day of the year?

Thanks!!!
Old May 25, 2022, 9:40 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Tokyo.

I just confirmed 4 SWUs (that were set to expire in July, too) yesterday for LAX-HND RT next March for me and my gf.

This is the best route AA offers for confirming SWUs at booking.
Old May 26, 2022, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 355F1
Tokyo.

I just confirmed 4 SWUs (that were set to expire in July, too) yesterday for LAX-HND RT next March for me and my gf.

This is the best route AA offers for confirming SWUs at booking.
They’re available because no one wants to quarantine for 7 days upon arriving in Japan.
ceebee100 and AB Dada like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by enviroian
They’re available because no one wants to quarantine for 7 days upon arriving in Japan.
Which may or may not be required next March when OP flies. Japan is certainly more conservative in dropping COVID restrictions than other countries but doubtful the requirements today will be the same 10 months from now. Seems like a great use of SWU to me.
Old May 26, 2022, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mlebean
Is there any way to search for ALL systemwide availability other than just clicking through every City/Every day of the year?
No, there is no easy button to hit that will show you all SWU availability at any given time. You just have to hunt and peck.

Get an ExpertFlyer subscription, set the dates to +/- 3 days and you can cover a lot of ground quickly with the searches.

For example I just searched a random week around the beginning of October and on the first date I picked (a Wednesday) there's C space on DFW-LHR & MIA-LHR and space returning a week later on LHR-JFK.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by IggySD
Which may or may not be required next March when OP flies. Japan is certainly more conservative in dropping COVID restrictions than other countries but doubtful the requirements today will be the same 10 months from now. Seems like a great use of SWU to me.
I agree you have a point. It's a gamble and I might just bite too. I'd just hate to cancel a Tokyo trip because the quarantine is still in place. Then again it's easier to bank the ticket in a flight coupon then find empty C space.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what? Just book main cabin (not basic economy) and you can always cancel and rebook to somewhere else. If nothing else, it preserved the validity of your upgrade past the expiration date.
355F1 likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:11 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

I booked this in hopes Japan will be open in 9 months from now.

Did the same thing last Oct for a trip to Bali this summer...which re-opened last month.
enviroian likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:13 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
So what? Just book main cabin (not basic economy) and you can always cancel and rebook to somewhere else. If nothing else, it preserved the validity of your upgrade past the expiration date.
Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.