Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have used all my SWU well.. you just have to be flex in booking and I always make sure SWU are open at booking
and call to purchase the ticket
ceebee100 and apeortdz like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage
It's still the midst of spring break and people with money are buying up front because coach has become such hell.
dw and ceebee100 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Using an SWU on a short domestic hop?

Yes, that's one way to ensure you get minimal value for it.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
At least he's trying to use them. I tried to use one DCA-MCO in 2020, but then the flight cancelled due to COVID. Otherwise, they've all gone to waste in the 5+ years I've been EP on AA.
FAA1996, SFflyer20 and AA_Flyer like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I have used my SWUs only for long distance (10+ hour flights) and I have used all of mine wisely. Now I am having jitters about what will I do for my next long hop across the Atlantic as I am out of SWU for this year
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by AA_Flyer
I recently used a systemwide upgrade on a BOS to MCO itinerary connecting in MIA on 4/18. At the time I booked there was plenty of seats on the BOS to MIA flight. I’m EP so I usually get pretty good upgrades anyway but this one I REALLY wanted first and my systemwides are expiring in July so why not use one.

Well here we are 100 hours out, I have been upgraded on my Miami to Orlando flight, big deal I would’ve got that anyway with my EP status. But even since I woke up this morning seats on the Boston to Miami have dropped from 4 to 3.

So what is the point of them? I assumed it would’ve put me at the top of the list but I still seem to be getting bypassed. Are these things worthless or what? I’ve been EP for four years and I don’t think I’ve used one before, so I’m a little surprised and rather disappointed I haven’t been bumped yet. I would have paid for this upgrade if I didn’t think the system might upgrade would be effective, by now I’m sure a paid upgrade on those last three seats is going to be astronomical this close to departure.
Did almost the same route a couple weeks ago but BOS-JFK-MIA-MCO without using SWU. MIA-MCO cleared at the window but JFK-MIA on a 772 only cleared onboard since someone deplaned due to delay. Does SWU actually give higher priority vs usual upgrade if there is an EXP with more LP/EQD?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
They are pretty useless, I use them for friends or family who don't care if they get the upgrade or not. Chances of me to use them for J to F upgrades are almost non existent and will probably dissappear soon. I do agree with OP though that a short domestic flight should be easier to use than it is. But with AA we all know that if you want a chance to fly in F or J your best bet is to buy an F or J fare (but even then there's a chance you'll end up in Y).
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I've been EXP since 2015, in that time I think I've missed a grand total of 2 SWU requests. All my SWUs have been used on international long-hauls, all Y--->J. Generally on the days and routes I need to fly (with some flexibility in taking connections vs nonstops). Cleared 3 of them so far this year (2 flown, one upcoming)

I've never had any SWUs go unused, and in fact my only complaint about SWUs is that I don't have enough of them.

To me they have tremendous value and utility. But that value and utility is in long-hauls, not in domestic short-haul. YMMV.
EXPLAT likes this.

Last edited by bse118; Apr 15, 2022 at 9:34 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I had a SNA-DFW-LHR routing in Jan - the DFW-LHR was wide open and it cleared right after I booked (verified in Expertflyer for C on that segment ONLY before choosing that flight). The SNA-DFW NEVER cleared with the SWU, even though once the longhaul cleared it was switched to use the SWU for the domestic segment and not the comp EXP upgrade.

About 72 hours before that SNA-DFW flight it cleared - NOT using the SWU! Which is ironic it shows that it was a comp upgrade and the basis for it wasn't the SWU. C Inventory NEVER opened up on that flight until 12 hours before departure as I was tracking it with Expertflyer.

I think as others have said - there is enough people paying for Domestic F that I think the release of C inventory is very conservative on some routes as F is filling up with paid pax. It is odd as in my case to see comp upgrades processing first but others may have noticed the same.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by kq747
Did almost the same route a couple weeks ago but BOS-JFK-MIA-MCO without using SWU. MIA-MCO cleared at the window but JFK-MIA on a 772 only cleared onboard since someone deplaned due to delay. Does SWU actually give higher priority vs usual upgrade if there is an EXP with more LP/EQD?
Within each status, SWU/mileage upgrades are prioritized over complimentary 500 mile upgrades.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by srikp
I have used my SWUs only for long distance (10+ hour flights) and I have used all of mine wisely. Now I am having jitters about what will I do for my next long hop across the Atlantic as I am out of SWU for this year
Maybe one of these folks who keep saying it's a waste would offer to upgrade you with one of their "worthless" SWUs since they are unable to use them.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
SWU's are bestowed for earning status and BIS travel. Can't really buy them. That said, it's not your or my birthright to use them as you wish. I wish it was. My goal with my SWUs is to use them on Intl travel to upgrade from J-F. So that limits me to 777W. And being based out of LAX that works well for me. I travel to Europe often and b/c of that, I almost always route LAX-LHR and figure out where to go in Europe from there. In addition, I almost always try to get confirmed upgrade at the time of booking. So time of year and day of week are huge factors in making that happen. I believe if you keep all of those factors in mind, you can almost always get the upgrade and the use of the SWU.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Definitely not worthless -- in fact, I used my remaining 2 SWUs earlier this week while booking some fall travel: one for JFK-DEL and one for DOH-JFK, both Y --> J.

As bse118 mentioned upthread, flexibility is key; generally speaking, I don't book flights where I want to use them unless I know that they'll clear at booking, as tomj888 does. If that's not possible, I'll set an EF alert and call the EXP desk as soon as I get notified of additional availability.

All that said, when I reach an EXP level and choose gifts, I almost always choose the miles; I'd rather go TATL or TPAC in partner J/F instead of on AA. YMMV.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: HHonors, UA, AA, CET
Originally Posted by FAA1996
I do agree with OP though that a short domestic flight should be easier to use than it is. But with AA we all know that if you want a chance to fly in F or J your best bet is to buy an F or J fare (but even then there's a chance you'll end up in Y).
I would think short domestic would be harder actually, especially to somewhere like Florida. Most people may “splurge” on J for vacation for less than $1k, but I don’t think many will be as quick to spend $5k-$10k for J or F on an international flight
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bse118

Yes, that's one way to ensure you get minimal value for it.
What’s of value to you might not be to others. Best articulated by one of my favorite meme’s:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.