Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118
"Hey boss / hey local partner, there's no upgrade space confirmable. I'm not taking this trip." That's not viable.
It's not viable for you.

MCE is fine. 10s of thousands of people fly long-haul economy every day. Heck, I don't even apply SWUs to most of my US-Europe flights because they are too short to use such a valuable thing on.
MCE is fine for you.

As I said, I think that they are very valuable for people in your situation. But not for everyone. I don't work (so no business trips, and no forced economy class purchases). My travel is wherever and whenever I want, which often means wherever and whenever I can find good deals. I'm going to Da Nang in a few months specifically because I found business class award flights there. If there were no business class awards I would not have been going. I certainly would not have been buying economy tickets.

I don't live on the east coast so my trans-ocean flights are generally at least 10 hours. I don't have any short flights to Europe or Asia.

FWIW I've had 4 SWUs in my life. I used 2 for a round trip to Tokyo, where I found space at booking. So I got some value there. I had 2 more cleared at booking time on a round trip to Seoul but I lost them when I cancelled the trip. The SWUs were expired by then so they would not be reissued -- I kept the ticket intact for a while to keep the upgrades alive but I wasn't able to find anything with available C space to apply it to (can't waitlist in that situation; you must book something with C space immediately available). So they were wasted.

Miles never expire (for me, anyway), can be used across the entire partner network, and result in tickets that are fully refundable. For me, that flexibility is extremely valuable. The lack of flexibility cost me 2 of my 4 SWU.

How valuable do you think SWUs are to someone who either doesn't travel for work, or someone who only travels domestically for work, or someone whose employer pays for J (in other words, for someone who will be using them for leisure travel that they pay for out of pocket)?

Everyone's situation is different. I have no doubt that if you regularly have to travel long-haul for work and your employer only pays for Y, then they are extremely valuable. But that's not everybody.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How valuable do you think SWUs are to someone who either doesn't travel for work, or someone who only travels domestically for work, or someone whose employer pays for J (in other words, for someone who will be using them for leisure travel that they pay for out of pocket)?
Extremely valuable. The reason is if you travel a lot in any of those circumstances, miles are unlikely to be in short supply and can always be used when they make sense. SWUs just add another useful arrow into your quiver.

If you're not traveling for work or have exact dates/times, SWU use is easier.

I've never missed one across 10+ years and likely 60 SWUs.
ryanbriar and travelingdrsuz like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius
You cannot search for Upgrade C space with connections. Each segment must be searched individually.
With connections, it returns rubbish data.
Additionally, you are correct that SWUs go from Y to J. They are only available on AA metal and not partners (except BA, where SWUs go from Y to PE or PE to J)
Ah, very helpful. Thanks. NRT-CGK is operated by JL, so now I understand that not being an option.

Doing a separate search of DFW-NRT is showing zero in "C." The agent stated I would be put on standby for upgrade on that flight. Does this mean I am standing by for if "C" became available? And if it does, I may or may not clear based on priority/LP ordered position on list?

Does this also mean that if "C" is available at time of booking for a single leg, that I would be confirmed at time of booking? Or is this not guaranteed.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Extremely valuable. The reason is if you travel a lot in any of those circumstances, miles are unlikely to be in short supply and can always be used when they make sense. SWUs just add another useful arrow into your quiver.

If you're not traveling for work or have exact dates/times, SWU use is easier.

I've never missed one across 10+ years and likely 60 SWUs.
You have this method of predicting when they will clear and booking accordingly. I'm glad that it works so well for you but I have nowhere near as much faith in my predictive abilities.

I will probably delay my choices until the last minute in case a good SWU opportunity pops up, but at the end of March I'm selecting miles if it comes to that.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Doing a separate search of DFW-NRT is showing zero in "C." The agent stated I would be put on standby for upgrade on that flight. Does this mean I am standing by for if "C" became available? And if it does, I may or may not clear based on priority/LP ordered position on list?
Yes. If C space opens up, you're on the list to clear in the upgrade priority of Status and Rolling LP.

Does this also mean that if "C" is available at time of booking for a single leg, that I would be confirmed at time of booking? Or is this not guaranteed.
Yes, you can clear immediately. The recommended approach is to waitlist the longhaul leg only. If that clears, then call and waitlist/clear the shorthaul leg. Otherwise you may burn a SWU on TPA-DFW only if DFW-NRT doesn't clear.

Recommend checking out the master thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html for the Wiki and datapoints.
WannaTheater and ryanbriar like this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You have this method of predicting when they will clear and booking accordingly. I'm glad that it works so well for you but I have nowhere near as much faith in my predictive abilities.

I will probably delay my choices until the last minute in case a good SWU opportunity pops up, but at the end of March I'm selecting miles if it comes to that.
Fair enough. It all comes down to risk tolerance. SWUs can have a higher reward ceiling with some risk while miles are zero risk. I may split my choices this time as well.

It's nice that they have the choices. One of the rare enhancements by AA that doesn't warrant the " " around it.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well of course to LHR in January is going to be easy.
I am going during the busy pre-Christmas travel week (on a peak day, direct flight), which is what was most surprising. I was not surprised about the wide-open January return.

I am going during the busy pre-Christmas travel week (on a peak day, direct flight), which is what was most surprising. I was not surprised about the wide-open January return.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Glad it worked out. One note of caution — if you keep searching flights on the web / app, the logic behind the scenes may think demand has suddenly popped on a given route and raise prices. This has at least been my experience in a couple of instances when searching flights in general (not for SWU purposes). Best to use the matrix combined with EF.
I was lazy about booking because I am lazy about calling AA; that said, I played with looking at flights for the past 1-2 months from several airports. Pricing has been consistent, and that includes on multiple browsers, not clearing cookies or anything. I don't think that has held. These prices are rather consistent with what I was seeing last summer when I flew to the UK and back via CDG for a couple months. So no big differences.

Glad it worked out. I’ve not played the SWU game, as I’ve never chosen them when earned through AAdvantage qualification level bonuses. This is because I cannot find any way to see (pre-plan) if I would ever use them, because AA doesn’t allow you to search for availability unless you already have them in your account.
That would be the absolute benefit of EF. In my case, I figured I didn't have a lot to lose, and a flexible enough schedule, so I chanced it.

Last edited by travelingdrsuz; Oct 21, 2023 at 4:57 pm Reason: Multi-quote reply; fast fingers
Old Oct 21, 2023, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I got my son cleared Y->J at booking for a DUB-DFW flight about a week before Christmas.
zip10001 and travelingdrsuz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.