Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'll have no choice but to waitlist SWU's for UK trips next year. This time last year I had booked two flights this year with C space available. Those days as we know are gone.

We should have a dedicated thread on waitlisted SWU's and luck in capturing them. What I do see consistently is C space opening up T-24 to T-48 on LHR flights just by checking any given flight on EF.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Anyone have any luck lately using a SWU on the HNL-DFW route? Thinking about using one to wait-list a 777 flight in March and although the J cabin looks wide open now, I realize it's supposedly one of the tougher upgrades in the system and wondered if I had much of a chance.
In April I was flying DFW-HNL booked in main cabin as an EXP. I was number 2 in the list for a comp (R) upgrade. I had my friend whose parents work for AA look up the upgrade list- he told me no. 1 was a Concierge Key. Right before boarding I saw I was now number 3. I called my friend and he told me that an EXP checked in with an SWU waitlisted. The CK and the SWU EXP got the two remaining seats. I got the only available PE seat. Luckily I'd drunk many champagnes in the Flagship Lounge ahead of boarding so I passed out in PE for most of the flight, but still a sour taste in my mouth. All I can say is good luck. This route is notorious for being unpredictable and the upgrade availability (if any exists at all in the first place) doesn't fall into place until mere minutes before boarding.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHL
I guess that's the nuance - how C and R open up in the days leading up to the flight. I realize that I would be behind higher elites upgrading with similar instruments. What anecdotal evidence/experiences have you seen - in particular on the wide body Hawaiian routes, when it comes to seeing comp upgrades clear vs. instrument upgrades that are waitlisted?
I've never missed an e500 upgrade as an EXP including twice on award tix. I think it's going to be hard to know that as you'd need multiple pax with the same status requesting different upgrade types. In most of our cases, we only have our own data point but not the other side.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
In April I was flying DFW-HNL booked in main cabin as an EXP. I was number 2 in the list for a comp (R) upgrade. I had my friend whose parents work for AA look up the upgrade list- he told me no. 1 was a Concierge Key. Right before boarding I saw I was now number 3. I called my friend and he told me that an EXP checked in with an SWU waitlisted. The CK and the SWU EXP got the two remaining seats. I got the only available PE seat. Luckily I'd drunk many champagnes in the Flagship Lounge ahead of boarding so I passed out in PE for most of the flight, but still a sour taste in my mouth. All I can say is good luck. This route is notorious for being unpredictable and the upgrade availability (if any exists at all in the first place) doesn't fall into place until mere minutes before boarding.
I have a feeling this will be a wasted SWU given how tough this route is to clear but at least I have a chance, right? This SWU expires in December so if I don't clear in March it will be gone but I don't want it to expire. Honestly I wish we could use SWUs to clear in-advance into PE on routes like this where J upgrades are unlikely.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Smattering of C released today around second weekend of April (Easter) to/from LHR (at least matching what works for me and confirmed). Always figured they would clear, but glad to see the naysayers wrong again about clearing before the gate.

Plus I got $230 in trip credit!
enviroian, ralphs and AB Dada like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 5:10 pm

PDXPremier, tbh, unless you can clear outright before December (which is more or less impossible), I'd try to find another flight you can apply the SWU. If you're an Alaska elite member 75k, your SWU would be prioritized after every CK, EXP, PP using an SWU or just trying their luck for a complementary upgrade. When EXPs (even CKs) have trouble on this route, you might want to try to find something else that has a better chance of clearing (or can clear outright).
Old Oct 12, 2022, 5:32 pm

SWU available on JFK-LHR mid November and late December.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
PDXPremier, tbh, unless you can clear outright before December (which is more or less impossible), I'd try to find another flight you can apply the SWU. If you're an Alaska elite member 75k, your SWU would be prioritized after every CK, EXP, PP using an SWU or just trying their luck for a complementary upgrade. When EXPs (even CKs) have trouble on this route, you might want to try to find something else that has a better chance of clearing (or can clear outright).
Yeah, you are probably right....would OGG-DFW be any easier?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yeah, you are probably right....would OGG-DFW be any easier?
No.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:20 am

Wide open SWU availability LAX-LHR and return for February. Many days are showing C7, most are at least C3. I was able to confirm LAX-LHR RT at booking yesterday.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, American Executive Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion
I got excited about the SWU availability on the LAX-LHR route until I realized I am traveling in late June....Went to the AA site and non available. I did check in Feb and there are plenty available. I am actually flying JFK-LHR but I would certainly fly from LAX for a SWU upgrade
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Transcon DCA-PHL-SEA trip next week. By chance, checked fares to see if the price had dropped. #1 price had dropped #2 1 SWU available on both legs.

Noice!!!!

Pity we're reduced to using it on domestic flights, but better touse it for that rather than have it disappear into the bit bin next year...
Old Oct 10, 2023, 12:31 pm

Any TATL OR TPAC SWUs showing availability?

I posted a couple weeks about CDG being available on many days in mid December. Anybody finding anything else in Jan/Feb?
Old Oct 10, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
I posted a couple weeks about CDG being available on many days in mid December. Anybody finding anything else in Jan/Feb?
I had a few that were expiring so had to use them the other day. Found sporadic availability CLT-MUC in January (mostly Tue, Wed, Thu).
Old Oct 10, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA
You must not be looking very hard because there is more confirmable C space out there now to/from Europe for this fall and winter than I've seen in a long time.

First random day I checked in January (17th), C space available now on:

DFW - LHR, FRA
CLT - MAD, LHR, MUC
JFK - LHR, MXP, BCN, CDG
PHL - LHR, ZRH, AMS, DUB
BOS, RDU, ORD, PHX, LAX - LHR

Just to name a few.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.