Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: Free agent
The thread should be named "Totally believable AA reply, I committed fraud."

I'm hoping this is an April Fools Day joke.
DutchessPDX and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Some years back I had a situation in which my cc didn't go through. I caught it near travel date. I called AA, updated the card and AA honored the original fare. Mistakes happen. But in this situation the OP was clearly trying to get the benefits of a fully refundable fare without paying for a fully refundable. I'm surprised it took AA this long to uncover the scheme. Also, as I understand it when you hit "purchase" AA's systems verify it's a valid credit card, which clearly it was not. Only a couple hours later once the cc company has released the funds does the status go from ticket pending to ticketed. All other airlines seem to be able to verify funds availability immediately with the cc company and then you within minutes, if not seconds, get a ticketed confirmation. This shows how sorely AA lacks in the IT area.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by enviroian
Perhaps Donald trump has morphed into a new FT username
It has, he liked a bunch posts over in the Delta forum.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Some years back I had a situation in which my cc didn't go through. I caught it near travel date. I called AA, updated the card and AA honored the original fare. Mistakes happen. But in this situation the OP was clearly trying to get the benefits of a fully refundable fare without paying for a fully refundable. I'm surprised it took AA this long to uncover the scheme. Also, as I understand it when you hit "purchase" AA's systems verify it's a valid credit card, which clearly it was not. Only a couple hours later once the cc company has released the funds does the status go from ticket pending to ticketed. All other airlines seem to be able to verify funds availability immediately with the cc company and then you within minutes, if not seconds, get a ticketed confirmation. This shows how sorely AA lacks in the IT area.
This is a fair point. If AA ticketed or even let the purchase complete without authorizing the card, there is some lack of responsibility on AA's part as well.
Then again, my in flight purchase for a snack box on 3/24 STILLhasn't hit my AMEX even as a pending charge as of today, so of course I can't get a receipt for it on the website. That's going to make my expense report simple, I'm sure it'll post 3-4 weeks later after I have submitted everything else.. thanks AA.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Some years back I had a situation in which my cc didn't go through. I caught it near travel date. I called AA, updated the card and AA honored the original fare. Mistakes happen.
Same here. I used my saved card, but because I got a replacement card a few days prior, the CVV changed and I punched in the old one.

But as you said, there is a difference between a mistake and 21 grand worth of "mistakes"
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line, if one hits the "purchase" button, one owes AA for the ticket unless one has made other arrangements (generally not available to consumer purchasers). If the form of payment is cancelled, over-limit, or otherwise not available, one still owes the money. While AA would be quite right in never processing the ticket and simply cancelling the reservation, I strongly suspect that most of these situations are not frauds, but simple errors. Given this, it seems decent customer service not to instantly cancel.

Perhaps AA let this go on too long, but that does not change the passenger's obligations and it in no way shifts the blame from the customer to AA.

Look at it another way, AA does not need this type of business, so it fires the customer.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arttravel
I am struggling to understand how someone could think it was acceptable to an airline to have an invalid credit card on file in order to hold tickets and the fares. And then complain it took 3 years for the airline to detect the problem.

With over a hundred million passengers annually it takes time for unusual behavior to be detected.

I would not like my clients to give me a deposit by check on a closed account so I block out time for a project but they want to continue to shop around or change their mind while I hold the time for them.

How could this behavior be rationalized?

I had the exact same thought.

I wonder how many miles the OP has in their AA account. If you value then at $.01 per mile (questionable), then the $21K only makes sense if s/he has >2.1M miles.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, this seems right up the alley for the master fraud/audit thread, maybe makes sense to move it there and get that one back on track after the recent debacle!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
AA should fix their IT asap, they can’t have a “ticket pending” languishing in the queue for 3-4 weeks.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:05 am

OP may want to delete this thread, otherwise it seems like a slam dunk case if they actually want to collect on their $60k and OP is on here admitting to it all.
lowfareair and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'm a little confused. Did the OP book and actually fly on any of these tickets? If they were all eventually cancelled prior to flight time, I don't see where AA is really out any money, other than some nebulous opportunity loss for not being able to sell the seat while it was in this payment limbo. Moreover, AA bears a lot of responsibility for not properly validating the CC at the time of purchase and rejecting the sale then.

That said, I do agree that AA is completely justified in cutting the OP off from the system. One or two tickets booked this way could legitimately be considered to be a mistake. Repeated bogus bookings are clearly deliberate and abusive. And, frankly, pretty weird behavior. Any vendor would cut him off under the circumstances.
lowfareair and mikesyr18 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Stripe
I'm a little confused. Did the OP book and actually fly on any of these tickets? If they were all eventually cancelled prior to flight time, I don't see where AA is really out any money, other than some nebulous opportunity loss for not being able to sell the seat while it was in this payment limbo. Moreover, AA bears a lot of responsibility for not properly validating the CC at the time of purchase and rejecting the sale then.

That said, I do agree that AA is completely justified in cutting the OP off from the system. One or two tickets booked this way could legitimately be considered to be a mistake. Repeated bogus bookings are clearly deliberate and abusive. And, frankly, pretty weird behavior. Any vendor would cut him off under the circumstances.
The entire loss and damage issue is a red herring. This is a contract to purchase a ticket for a stated price. Whether it can be cancelled by the passenger for a refund is a matter for the fare rules.

Thus, if one completes the contract to purchase, one owes the money for the ticket. Period.
Whether one may then cancel the ticket for a refund or credit with or without a penalty is a matter of the fare rules.
Whether AA can resell the seat is irrelevant.

Whether AA could have done more to prevent OP's fraud is also irrelevant on the question of whether OP owes AA the $60K or the $21K AA is willing to accept as a settlement.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Three years, $68K in flights - one is left to wonder how many other passengers were screwed out of flights that were on hold and cancelled. Also wondering if others engaged in this sceme?

OP has few options, none of them favorable. OP should start over with another carrier.

Antarius and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nk15
AA should fix their IT asap, they can’t have a “ticket pending” languishing in the queue for 3-4 weeks.
Normally a pending charge falls off a credit card after about a week and needs to be re-authorized. I'm not sure AA could even put post a charge on a credit card three or four weeks after the "purchase" without the credit card owner giving permission again.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
The entire loss and damage issue is a red herring. This is a contract to purchase a ticket for a stated price. Whether it can be cancelled by the passenger for a refund is a matter for the fare rules.

Thus, if one completes the contract to purchase, one owes the money for the ticket. Period.
Whether one may then cancel the ticket for a refund or credit with or without a penalty is a matter of the fare rules.
Whether AA can resell the seat is irrelevant.

Whether AA could have done more to prevent OP's fraud is also irrelevant on the question of whether OP owes AA the $60K or the $21K AA is willing to accept as a settlement.
After a year has passed, it's too late to get a refund or to use a credit toward future travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.