Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Unbelievable aa reply to account closure for fraudulent credit card use

Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

If I go shopping at target and my card is declined they do not sue me for cost of the merchandise/. Nor the food store where in fact the food may spoil
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:04 pm

Actually I had something similar happen to me. I am a Hyatt globalist and had am old card on my account that had since been closed. I made many reservations without changing my the card on my profile, the difference is that I actually stayed at all the properties that I made reservations for where it sounds like Mr.Angry was being speculative in his booking.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Again to the OP. What anyone here thinks has no bearing on your situation. Your only option is to negotiate with AA. If you think you've been wronged legally consult an attorney.

Mistake fares rarely happen. If AA puts out a bookable fare and someone books at that fare that's perfectly legit. On the other side I see crazy fares like the other day one MIA/CLT rt was over $1,200 (in Y). If someone actually pays that fare that's on them. OTH, putting in false or bad cc information is not legit. I know AA systems are backwards but you can enter in new cc information. There's no way this poster is going to convince me you can't. As I said AA has old, outdated cc from me I can't delete. I just simply hit the cc button and enter in new, valid cc information.

Bottom line this poster found a way to game the system, got caught and AA is going after him/her hard. Maybe too hard demanding $21K to keep his account open but none of us work for AA Security.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AngryATaa
If I go shopping at target and my card is declined they do not sue me for cost of the merchandise/. Nor the food store where in fact the food may spoil
This is not the same scenario ! If you put a hold on an item at Target that was perishable (or the system allowed you to do
it without any consequences) AND you did not buy it, then Target could not resell it and it is a loss. AA's product is perishable
as well so AA probably did lose money on the tickets that you blocked with your expired CC. AA should not have in the first
place allowed you to hold the ticket beyond the normal hold window if they did not realize the revenue.
That is on AA and its IT !

On the other hand I am not sure how many such tickets you had on hold and if you continued to do it over a long time
knowingly, then you were gaming the system. That understandably upsets lot of honest people although as I pointed out, many
here buy mistake fares, enjoy first class at economy prices and write trip reports...so I do not see any difference between that
and your behavior !!
CPRich and ZBigFam like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyalways
You may not be there to "game the system" but half the FT population actively seeks and shares mistake fares which is
another form of the same !! One wrong does not make other wrongs OK but OP mentioned that the AA ticketing system
repeatedly tried using his older CC and he could not change that situation. That could be another bug in the system.
So AA should take this as a $60K training lesson to motivate themselves in updating their bug-ridden IT systems....
Slightly different. One is akin to finding a mispriced item in a store and telling your friends while the other is like buying an expensive dress, wearing it once at a ball and returning it.

That said, yes - AA does share some fault here as this is the most absurd ticketing system on earth. If a food truck can do it instantly, a multi billion dollar, 100,000 workforce strong company should as well.
AA100k likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Its not like that at all. An option has a cost. You didnt pay for the option.
MSPeconomist and Often1 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flyalways
If an organization like AA can not handle such simple CC protections then it is on them. How can they allow someone
to hold tickets if they are not paid fully by the deadline ? If OP used the tickets and did not pay for it, they should
hold him responsible and drag him through legal process to recover the money. But charging someone for
holding tickets that was due to their own incompetence (in setting up clean payment process) is not something
AA should be doing IMHO. OP may have exploited the loophole to his advantage but many on FT look for
mistake fares and buy them to travel so he is not alone in doing this !

If they have to actually recover the "lost revenue", they should go after the IT company that introduced this
loophole/bug or the executive responsible for this payment system. They should consider this as a $60K learning
exercise. My $.02 !
Oh come on.

OP entered into a contract to purchase the ticket. In fact, he supplied a CC, albeit expired or cancelled, in order to defraud the system. One way or another, he owes AA the funds he agreed to pay.

Whether AA could have better anti-fraud protections for itself is irrelevant to the question of whether OP owes for the tickets. This is a person AA does not need or want as a customer. Best to come as close to firing them as possible without resorting to litigation.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Nor the food store where in fact the food may spoil
If you regularly and repeatedly go into a "food store", take the food using an invalid payment, put your hands all over it, then just hand it back, unusable, when asked for actual payment, I suspect you won't be welcome as a customer there either. And if you managed to do it with tens of thousands of dollars of food, intentionally and knowingly, I wouldn't be surprised if they went after you. Rightfully so, IMO.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I stopped posting because I simply got bashed from the start
Exactly why I didnt post the follow ups, Will no reply any longer. Take care
Good idea.

Just can't help yourself?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Analogies never work. Never.

You situation involves fraud in connection with an air ticket, not a packaged sandwich which can still be sold.

So, rather than coming back with ham sandwich analogies, did you settle with AA as they proposed, do something else, or get terminated?
ZBigFam likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.