Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

“Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on American’s fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020.”14 Feb 2020 — link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while it’s still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by transportbiz
AA reply: (with a phone number I don't understand at all).April 9, 2019

You are always welcome to contact us with post travel inquiries or concerns and reservations at 8700-433-7300 with current and future travel questions.

Looks like a fat finger typo; American's main reservation number is 800-433-7300.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by N830MH
When the 737-MAX8 grounding is lifted? How much longer is it? Hopefully they will resolved it. Right now, FAA, NTSB, Boeing is still ongoing investigation. They won't wait for any much longer.
According to articles from Reuters, BBC, etc. and statement from AA to employees and customers, the AA MAX 8 aircraft, though expected to be decertified by that time, is off the schedule through August 19, 2019, joining Southwest in scheduling the 2019 summer high season without their MAX aircraft.

115 daily flights of 7,000 plus daily flights will be cancelled due to the grounding of the 24 MAX 8 aircraft. AA has canceled nearly 2,500 flights to date since the March 13 grounding. The MAX 8 will be used as spares and to fill in the schedule when they do return to service.

"By extending our cancellations through the summer, we can plan more reliably for the peak travel season and provide confidence to our customers and team members when it comes to their travel plans,'' said CEO Doug Parker and President Robert Isom.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 14, 2019 at 11:47 am
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Anyone know if the schedules showing on AA.com today are the new schedules reflecting cancellations through August 19th?
Old May 13, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Aircraft Change Notification

Just received an email today from American Airlines, informing me that a late August flight from MIA-SJU, and the return SJU-MIA, will now be operated by a 737-800 MAX (former equipment was a 737-800).
Old May 13, 2019, 6:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jcatman
Just received an email today from American Airlines, informing me that a late August flight from MIA-SJU, and the return SJU-MIA, will now be operated by a 737-800 MAX (former equipment was a 737-800).
That’s more hopeful than solid. The MAX ACARS update, etc. are under review by pilots, FAA, EASA, CAC, etc. I think it’s feasible, but extensive reviews and politics could intervene.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
That’s more hopeful than solid. The MAX ACARS update, etc. are under review by pilots, FAA, EASA, CAC, etc. I think it’s feasible, but extensive reviews and politics could intervene.
Right you are. Today's Wall Street Journal article regarding the MAX makes the aircraft's return seem quite complicated.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Same situation as jcatman,

My flight, AA 1985 from MIA to DCA on late August was supposed to be operated by a PMUS A321 and now the equipment is Boeing 737-MAX-8. I have learned this when an e-mail came from AA that indicated that my flight was changed due to schedule changes.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:48 pm

Max 8 Question

I'm sure there is a main thread for Max 8 questions but I can't seem to locate it so hopefully the mods can move the post

We have a flight December 7 on a Max 8 from CLT to MSP. It's the 2nd leg of our flight that originates in PUJ. This was the only flight leaving PUJ in the afternoon with lay down seats PUJ/CLT and enough time to safely clear customs in CLT.

Will AA swap out the 738 for a different aircraft if the Max 8 is not cleared to fly or will the leg be cancelled ?

As of now AA is still selling tickets on this flight and I'm not sure I even want to fly in a MAX 8, do we have the option to cancel as we paid in miles and don't want to pay the reinstatement fee which is $150 I believe.

Thank You
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Its a near certainty that the MAX issues will be sorted well before December so I wouldn't worry about a cancellation due to lack of aircraft. As to canceling without the fee, again being as the flight is in Dec ordinarily I'd guess they wouldn't waive the fee but given the publicity around this they might; if you're that concerned its worth asking.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
Its a near certainty that the MAX issues will be sorted well before December so I wouldn't worry about a cancellation due to lack of aircraft. As to canceling without the fee, again being as the flight is in Dec ordinarily I'd guess they wouldn't waive the fee but given the publicity around this they might; if you're that concerned its worth asking.

Thanks, I emailed AA.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Thanks, I emailed AA.
Honestly, if you really do want to cancel the tickets, I'd recommend calling. It would give you a better opportunity to explain your reasoning to a real person on the phone.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ryan182
There is actually no certainty that the Max planes will be flying by December. There is still a long road ahead. Better to sort things out now and move to another carrier while seats are still available or pick another destination.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I just wanted to point out that the 738, which is the 737-800, is not the same as the Max 8, which has an equipment code of 7M8. It appears your flight is on the 737-800 and not the Max 8.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Jase0581
I just wanted to point out that the 738, which is the 737-800, is not the same as the Max 8, which has an equipment code of 7M8. It appears your flight is on the 737-800 and not the Max 8.
Good catch. None of the CLT-MSP flights are scheduled on the MAX.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'm sure there is a main thread for Max 8 questions but I can't seem to locate it so hopefully the mods can move the post

We have a flight December 7 on a Max 8 from CLT to MSP. It's the 2nd leg of our flight that originates in PUJ. This was the only flight leaving PUJ in the afternoon with lay down seats PUJ/CLT and enough time to safely clear customs in CLT.

Will AA swap out the 738 for a different aircraft if the Max 8 is not cleared to fly or will the leg be cancelled ?

As of now AA is still selling tickets on this flight and I'm not sure I even want to fly in a MAX 8, do we have the option to cancel as we paid in miles and don't want to pay the reinstatement fee which is $150 I believe.

Thank You
I'd be willing to bet when they put them back in service, there will be a limited window to change flights without a fee, i.e. booked before X date, but even with that, its going to be harder and harder to avoid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.