Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

“Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on American’s fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020.”14 Feb 2020 — link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while it’s still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This sounds like AA is planning to return to its previous aircraft schedule if/when the MAX is permitted to fly again. It could also be interpreted as AA trying to hide the flights that might be MAX from people who are buying tickets now. I could easily envision many people wanting to switch to other flights that won't be operated with a MAX after it returns to service.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:57 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Anyone flying MIA-SFO this Sunday evening (3/24)?

Gonna throw out a random re-accommodation thing her..ya know...just in case.

We were scheduled to fly Sunday (3/24) MIA-SFO at 7:44PM, in F (I still like to call it F ). That flight went away and we are now on a 9:30PM flight (gets in at 12:53AM). Can't make that work for us, but preferred earlier flights (6:09 direct, 5:30 via LAX) are zeroed in F.

On the off chance that someone on one of those flights wants to go on the later flight (we need two seats), perhaps we could work it out with AA and swap. Yeah, shot in the dark, but stranger things have happened here.

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
This is why I work to be proactive on cancellations. Wait for last minute (like AA is prone to do) and you're left with table scraps for availability.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by brp
Gonna throw out a random re-accommodation thing her..ya know...just in case.

We were scheduled to fly Sunday (3/24) MIA-SFO at 7:44PM, in F (I still like to call it F ). That flight went away and we are now on a 9:30PM flight (gets in at 12:53AM). Can't make that work for us, but preferred earlier flights (6:09 direct, 5:30 via LAX) are zeroed in F.

On the off chance that someone on one of those flights wants to go on the later flight (we need two seats), perhaps we could work it out with AA and swap. Yeah, shot in the dark, but stranger things have happened here.

Cheers.
Have you called AA? The flight I wanted when my original flight went away was also zeroed out. The agent was able to get approval to get me a confirmed seat on it when I asked. They may well have upgraded somebody early in order to make it happen.

ETA: just realized you’re already in F so not necessarily an option for you. But worth asking.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I only saw the change in the app Saturday and everything else was already gone. Should check more frequently

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrjApp

Have you called AA? The flight I wanted when my original flight went away was also zeroed out. The agent was able to get approval to get me a confirmed seat on it when I asked. They may well have upgraded somebody early in order to make it happen.
They called me today. But there really are no open seats in F (we are paid F). Don't wanna go coach. One of the flights actually has 1 seat showing on EF (even though J0), but we need 2. If I saw a second, I'd call and try to push it, even with J0. But I do believe that there are not the seats at present.

Cheers
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:21 pm

My advice is to keep checking your AA flights, whatever the equipment. My JFK/LAS flight was canceled and AA did not alert me - I found out by looking at the reservation
as is my habit. Instead, they booked me on a connection via LAX that had me arriving 8 hours later than the original. I'm guessing they are using this aircraft
for more important routes, but some notice might have been nice.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:01 am

I'm booked LGA to MIA on April 19th in the evening. I have a flight I need to catch the next day, also on AA but on a separate booking. My itinerary still shows a 737M8 -- should I be worried about a disruption as the date of travel approaches?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
This is why I work to be proactive on cancellations. Wait for last minute (like AA is prone to do) and you're left with table scraps for availability.
How are you supposed to be proactive about this though?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:53 pm

Do people think AA would book me on another airline? They cancelled my flight to Portland and rebooked me a full day later and through Phoenix. My friends are flying Southwest. If it worth trying to ask them to book me on another airline so I can get there the same day I was originally booked or is this a waste of time?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
How are you supposed to be proactive about this though?
The minute you hear about a cancellation or a waiver policy, look up your alternatives, plan a list of three -reasonable- choices, and call and have changes made.

When I had a flight delay at LAX a couple months back, the second the gate agent started announcing delays I started looking up alternatives. When that delay grew to 20 minutes, and then 35 minutes, and then 50 minutes, I hightailed it to the Admirals Club and had my flight changed. Even then, the Admirals Club agent couldnt see my flight because she was looking at only those flights where she figured there would be easy routings. When I -told- her what flights I was looking at, she paused for a minute, saw it, say "well yeah" and booked it.

If you wait for the last minute and simple active reactively instead of proactively, you wind up with fewer and fewer options. The MAX was grounded on the 13th with a memo out that evening. If I had a transcon flight that night relatively close in, I would have been on the phone that evening.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by jraimond48
Do people think AA would book me on another airline? They cancelled my flight to Portland and rebooked me a full day later and through Phoenix. My friends are flying Southwest. If it worth trying to ask them to book me on another airline so I can get there the same day I was originally booked or is this a waste of time?
AA should allow you to cancel for a full refund in this case.
But they don't have the ability to ticket on Southwest - you'd have to purchase your tickets directly on your friend's flight.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by jraimond48
AA wouldn't do it for me. I got a refund from AA and rebooked myself on JetBlue. I was actually holding the JetBlue flight on a refundable basis as I had a suspicion AA would cancel and rebook me on something totally unacceptable. I was right, but the belt and suspenders approach worked, though it cost a bit more.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
The minute you hear about a cancellation or a waiver policy, look up your alternatives, plan a list of three -reasonable- choices, and call and have changes made.

When I had a flight delay at LAX a couple months back, the second the gate agent started announcing delays I started looking up alternatives. When that delay grew to 20 minutes, and then 35 minutes, and then 50 minutes, I hightailed it to the Admirals Club and had my flight changed. Even then, the Admirals Club agent couldnt see my flight because she was looking at only those flights where she figured there would be easy routings. When I -told- her what flights I was looking at, she paused for a minute, saw it, say "well yeah" and booked it.

If you wait for the last minute and simple active reactively instead of proactively, you wind up with fewer and fewer options. The MAX was grounded on the 13th with a memo out that evening. If I had a transcon flight that night relatively close in, I would have been on the phone that evening.
Sure, but by definition, these MAX cancellations are last minute and AA won't allow you to change anything until they change/cancel the flight.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Sure, but by definition, these MAX cancellations are last minute and AA won't allow you to change anything until they change/cancel the flight.
Not correct. AA issued a memo the day they were grounded stating that people could make changes up through 4/3 or 4/4. Thats how I changed my ticket for 4/2.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.