Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

“Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on American’s fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020.”14 Feb 2020 — link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while it’s still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Current dates airlines are speculating their 737 MAX aircraft will be recertifications and flyable:

AA November 2 December 3
UA November 3 December 19
WN January 5, 2020
enpremiere likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
Its a near certainty that the MAX issues will be sorted well before December so I wouldn't worry about a cancellation due to lack of aircraft. As to canceling without the fee, again being as the flight is in Dec ordinarily I'd guess they wouldn't waive the fee but given the publicity around this they might; if you're that concerned its worth asking.
So yeah...guess I need to have a large plate of medium rare crow on this one as I was clearly way wrong in my earlier assertion. I'm trying a diet now so will take veggies with that as a side rather than a potatoes.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
AA MIA-SJU flight changed to 737-8 MAX - concerns

I booked two one-way tickets (PHX-MIA-SJU and SJU-DFW-PHX) since it was cheaper than a roundtrip. I just noticed that my MIA-SJU flight was just changed to a 737-8 MAX (it was previously a 737-800).

My concern is that if the 737 MAX grounding is extended, AA won't be able to find a replacement aircraft and my ticket gets cancelled completely, leaving the return itinerary an orphan. What are the odds that AA won't be able to find a replacement and my ticket gets cancelled completely if the grounding gets extended? Surely there must be a lot of holiday travelers wanting to go to Puerto Rico.

BTW I am traveling with my mother and she doesn't want me to change the flights. Also, I purchased the outbound normally, but used WF GoFar Rewards points for the return.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Delta 764
I booked two one-way tickets (PHX-MIA-SJU and SJU-DFW-PHX) since it was cheaper than a roundtrip. I just noticed that my MIA-SJU flight was just changed to a 737-8 MAX (it was previously a 737-800).

My concern is that if the 737 MAX grounding is extended, AA won't be able to find a replacement aircraft and my ticket gets cancelled completely, leaving the return itinerary an orphan. What are the odds that AA won't be able to find a replacement and my ticket gets cancelled completely if the grounding gets extended? Surely there must be a lot of holiday travelers wanting to go to Puerto Rico.

BTW I am traveling with my mother and she doesn't want me to change the flights. Also, I purchased the outbound normally, but used WF GoFar Rewards points for the return.
When is your flight? MIA-SJU AA has 6x flights a day it looks like so you're probably safe either way* but when your flight is scheduled likely will determine if you do/dont get an aircraft swap/cancelation

*while I think this is the case as you can see above my track record on the subject AA and MAX isnt great
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:32 pm

When is your flight? MIA-SJU AA has 6x flights a day it looks like so you're probably safe either way* but when your flight is scheduled likely will determine if you do/dont get an aircraft swap/cancelation

*while I think this is the case as you can see above my track record on the subject AA and MAX isnt great
Mine is the 11:04 PM flight on December 22. I really hope I don't get a cancellation, since there are probably a lot of people wanting to go to Puerto Rico for the holidays.

Hopefully AA can reroute me through DFW, CLT, or PHL if the flight gets cancelled.

Last edited by Delta 764; Sep 7, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:38 pm

Mine is the 11:04 PM flight on December 22. I really hope I don't get a cancellation, since there are probably a lot of people wanting to go to Puerto Rico for the holidays.
Yeah in that case I would have some concerns as well, Dec 22 isn't that far out from the most recent date that Boeing/AA gave (which is the third?), its the last flight of the day and the holidays so flights are likely to be full and spare aircraft sparse. Though its also a route they opperate currently on 738s so it could end up that if the early Dec date that's projected slips they will go back to non-MAX 737 but I think you're warranted in being concerned given the history here.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:42 pm

Yeah in that case I would have some concerns as well, Dec 22 isn't that far out from the most recent date that Boeing/AA gave (which is the third?), its the last flight of the day and the holidays so flights are likely to be full and spare aircraft sparse. Though its also a route they opperate currently on 738s so it could end up that if the early Dec date that's projected slips they will go back to non-MAX 737 but I think you're warranted in being concerned given the history here.
Hopefully if the flight is canceled I get lucky and get rerouted through DFW, CLT, PHL, or ORD.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Hopefully if the flight is canceled I get lucky and get rerouted through DFW, CLT, PHL, or ORD.
Routing from MIA to SJU via any of those airports doesn't seem particularly lucky...

Is there a flight currently scheduled MIA-SJU that isn't on the 737MAX? If so, I would personally try to be proactive and change to that or take a refund and book another carrier...
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Routing from MIA to SJU via any of those airports doesn't seem particularly lucky...

Is there a flight currently scheduled MIA-SJU that isn't on the 737MAX? If so, I would personally try to be proactive and change to that or take a refund and book another carrier...
I agree with Ryan and tylerdurdan on this. You're actually lucky, in having a large number of still reasonably priced available options on this routing. I haven't booked my planned holiday trip yet, because AA swapped in the MAX last week, and it's the only option.

Personally, in your situation, I'd proactively rebook on one of these for December 22nd:

PHX: Departs 10:55 AM
SJU: Arrives 11:56 PM
Flight Time: 10h 1m
PHX - PHL AA 629 321-Airbus A321
PHL - SJU AA 1529 321-Airbus A321

Or:

PHX: Departs 11:56 AM
SJU: Arrives 11:22 PM
Flight Time: 8h 26m
PHX - DFW AA 1557 32Q-Airbus A321neo
DFW - SJU AA 2481 321-Airbus A321

Or the First Flight in on December 23rd:

PHX: Departs 12:40 AM
SJU: Arrives 1:05 PM
Flight Time: 9h 25m
PHX - PHL AA 782 321-Airbus A321
PHL - SJU AA 1496 333-Airbus A330

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; Sep 8, 2019 at 7:47 am Reason: corrected typo
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Current dates airlines are speculating their 737 MAX aircraft will be recertifications and flyable:

AA November 2 December 3
Ha! I have a flight December 4 STT-MIA scheduled on a MAX.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dwcatty
Ha! I have a flight December 4 STT-MIA scheduled on a MAX.
I think some of us would be surprised to see the MAX fully recertified, out of mothballs and flying by then. (Removing the aircraft from mothballs and having them ready for flight is said to take about a month.)
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: CK or bust
October 13th Schedule MAX-related Schedule Changes

Per AA there should be some decently widespread domestic updates following the latest announcement regarding the 7M8 service re-certification delay.

On Oct. 13, American will run a formal schedule change, and customers who were previously booked on a MAX will see their reservation updated on aa.com.
While American's official stance is that those routes will be switched by 737 aircraft for flights through Jan. 6, watch those reservations.

For flights after that they are careful to use the "majority" so there will be some thrashing:

Customers booked on a MAX from Jan. 7 through Jan. 15:The majority of these customers will be accommodated on the same flight operated by a different aircraft type, which may include a 737-800 or an Airbus aircraft. Beginning Oct. 13, American’s Reservations and Sales team will contact affected customers who are impacted by any potential flight cancellations. Customers who booked through a travel agent will be contacted by their agency directly.
Newsroom - An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:23 am

why is this here? Has nothing to do with Premium Fare Deals
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:25 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Moving this to the AA forum.

Ryandc99, Moderator Mileage Run
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: CK or bust
why is this here? Has nothing to do with Premium Fare Deals
In my morning stupor I thought that I was in the AA forum. My apologies!
ryan182 and binman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.