Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

“Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on American’s fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020.”14 Feb 2020 — link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while it’s still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
AA to returning 737 MAX 8 in service? When?

When the 737-MAX8 back in service? Where is the 737-MAX8? Can they put back on revenue route?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
AA thinks January 16. But then again, they previously thought they would return into service December 3, November 2, September 3, August 19, and June 5. Every month, hope triumphs over experience.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The truth is no one really knows. Apparently the CEO of Southwest said that Boeing sent the programming fix to the FAA for testing and approval and best case scenario for his airline is that the FAA would approve by year end giving WN 2 months to get their Maxes fully back into service by February 2020.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:48 am

Hopefully not until they "de-Oasis" them!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
There's nothing "willing" about it. They're not allowed to fly them commercially until 737 MAX is certified to do so.
Yes, but that was just shorthand. I said "until at least", and that means "until then and quite possibly even after", and it switches from "allowed" to "willing" in the "possibly even after" part.

It would have a more complicated sentence to say "not allowed until it's re-certified, and then not necessarily willing after it's re-certified".

Besides, it's still "willing" in the sense they're not willing to do what's not allowed, isn't it?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts belonging in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...mmodation.html have been moved there.

Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:08 pm

American and Southwest have once again pushed the date out for 737 MAX scheduling to March 6, 2020.

Link to Airline Geeks article
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:47 pm

American Airlines pulled the 737 Max from its schedules until April 7 (2020), making it more than a full year since the grounding before it expects to fly the planes again. — link to CNBC article
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:33 am

The MAX will fly again. But there are nasty messes to be cleaned up at Boeing and the FAA, pilots and airlines to have reliable modifications and training put in place to be convinced, other world certifications to be secured - and politics. China’s CAAC is making noises that could be interpreted as foot-dragging, possibly for other than pure reasons, for example.

In the meantime, this isn’t the best thread to discuss the maybes and ifs. Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation)

Further posts that are off the topic of this thread, which is dedicated to what to do if you’re scheduled on a MAX 8, will be moved to that thread.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 13, 2019 at 10:42 pm
Old Dec 22, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Only 737 MAX flights in May from MIA to LGA (May 2020)

A week ago, I booked a flight on a 737-800 on May 2 from Miami to LaGuardia. Yesterday, I looked at My Flights and saw that the flight was changed to a later one on a 737MAX. On the phone, the agent told me that there had been a schedule change and they cancelled my original flight. ALL nonstop flights on May 2 from MIA to LGA are now on a 737MAX. She said that UAL has canceled all MAX flights through June and that probably AA will follow UAL’s suit. Otherwise, the only way to avoid a MAX is to change planes somewhere. She advised patience.

I am amazed. Do AA schedulers not read the internet, newspapers or watch TV?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by uncle wiggily
A week ago, I booked a flight on a 737-800 on May 2 from Miami to LaGuardia. Yesterday, I looked at My Flights and saw that the flight was changed to a later one on a 737MAX. On the phone, the agent told me that there had been a schedule change and they cancelled my original flight. ALL nonstop flights on May 2 from MIA to LGA are now on a 737MAX. She said that UAL has canceled all MAX flights through June and that probably AA will follow UAL’s suit. Otherwise, the only way to avoid a MAX is to change planes somewhere. She advised patience.

Schedule changes are not planned on a particular day and implemented the next one. It takes time. Your schedule change that you’re now aware of would have been planned well in advance, but only recently implemented. By the same token, given the current updates on the MAX, you can expect another aircraft change on the horizon.

In short, the agent was correct. You should be patient. AA isn’t going to have you fly on an aircraft that is not cleared for flying in the US.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by uncle wiggily

On Dec 12, AA announce the MAX schedule resumption for April 7. Until AA makes another announcement, then they aren't going to take them off the schedule.
This may change later, and UA might be being overly cautious about the schedule, but nobody knows when MAX will be back in service

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 23, 2019 at 12:13 am
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
On Dec 12, AA announce the MAX schedule resumption for April 7. Until AA makes another announcement, then they aren't going to take them off the schedule.
This may change later, and UA might be being overly cautious about the schedule, but nobody knows when MAX will be back in service
I was scheduled to go SFO - LAX - IAD changed to SFO - CLT - IAD today with a whooping 8 hour layout, not impressed as i already have a mammoth journey all the way from AUS , so it would be BNE-NAN - SFO-CLT-IAD . I think they are willing to look for something more suitable for me though after i spoke with them on the phone this morning, though looks like ill have to pay for an overnight stay to get something more tolerable.
They also changed my return should have been IAD - LAX and its now DCA -LAX , this one is not such a big issue.

All planes were 737-800s and new flights are showing as A321

My flying date is April 2020
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: AA PPro
The schedule will change again. But whenever the MAX starts flying again you can basically count on every MIA-LGA flight being operated by the MAX, because that is what it was before the grounding. So if that bothers you, might as well get used to flying to JFK (with a 772 for that matter).
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by HiAperture
The schedule will change again. But whenever the MAX starts flying again you can basically count on every MIA-LGA flight being operated by the MAX, because that is what it was before the grounding. So if that bothers you, might as well get used to flying to JFK (with a 772 for that matter).
This - DCA-MIA was going all MAX before the grounding too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.