Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread is STRICTLY dedicated to discussing alternative arrangements and policy resulting from the FAA emergency order grounding all USA carriers’ Boeing 737 MAX 8 (and MAX 9) aircraft. This has grounded all 24 7M8 / 737 MAX 8 aircraft American Airlines has in service.

To discuss the 737 MAX 8s withdrawal from service and related issues apart from reaccommodation related issues, please post in Recent 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccomodation).

To discuss the probable and limited return of the Boeing MAX to service with AA at the end of 2020 and increasingly in 2021, please see
American Planning 737 MAX Service Restoration (Limited Dec and 2021)

An Update on the Boeing 737 MAX (AA, Friday, February 14, 2020, 3:30 PM)

“Based on the latest guidance, the airline anticipates that the resumption of scheduled commercial service on American’s fleet of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft will occur Aug. 18, 2020.”14 Feb 2020 — link

AA has had a policy in place, as shared below by JonNYC in post # 15.

American continues to await information from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Department of Transportation (DOT), National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), other regulatory authorities and Boeing that would permit the 24 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft in our fleet to resume flying.

In an effort to provide more certainty and avoid last minute flight disruptions, American has extended cancellations through August 14, 2020. Previous dates have been:

04 June 2020, 07 April 2020, 06 March 2020, 16 Jan 2020, December 3, 2019; November 2, September 3, August 19, June 5.) This resulted in the cancellation of approximately 115 flights each day based on our April schedule. By proactively canceling these flights, we are able to provide better service to our customers with availability and rebooking options. - aa.com link to PDF
Essentially, if you’re scheduled to fly on a 737 MAX 8 operated flight while it’s still grounded awaiting recertification
="4"%:

If the flight was cancelled, you can get a refund or make changes without fees;

if the flight was changed (to another aircraft type, etc.) you can make a number of changes free of charge (but not get a refund with change fees waived).
See here for AA announcement about 7M8 / B38M operations and grounding.

Keep an eye on your email for further reaccommodation email notices.

Check your PNR on aa.com to determine if you’ve been reaccommodated.

If the reaccommodation doesn’t suit you, because this is an involuntary flight change and if there’s a significant time change you may be able to get your ticket refunded with no penalty, or to request a more favorable reaccommodation (easier if you can tell the agent which flights you’d prefer and have verified there are seats available.

Keep your eyes on your trips. Until the 7M8 is recertified, maintained out of “mothballs” and returned to service, and for some time after, there will be aircraft and schedule adjustments.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 737 MAX (7M8) grounded until TBA. What to do if scheduled to fly on one?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison

Good catch. None of the CLT-MSP flights are scheduled on the MAX.

Thank You, great news
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

There is actually no certainty that the Max planes will be flying by December. There is still a long road ahead. Better to sort things out now and move to another carrier while seats are still available or pick another destination.
Absolute nonsense, there is a 0% chance that by Dec this won't be settled. The fixes are already completed and being evaluated, to think that by Dec the grounding of this plane won't be lifted is completely divorced from reality.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Mid-August flights MIA-SJU-MIA just changed from 737 Max 8 to 757 with lie-flat seats.

Mid-September flight, AA2289, MIA-LAX departing at 7:37pm, just changed from A321 to 737 Max 8. Farewell on-demand video.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:52 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by jcatman
Mid-August flights MIA-SJU-MIA just changed from 737 Max 8 to 757 with lie-flat seats.

Mid-September flight, AA2289, MIA-LAX departing at 7:37pm, just changed from A321 to 737 Max 8. Farewell on-demand video.
Miami is not a real TCON hub anyway...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Late August, MIA-DCA

During booking, PMUS A321
Early May 2019, 737-MAX-8 and schedule change ( 30 mins later than the original time when I booked the flight )
Now it's a PMUS A320 ( 2 mins later than the modified time )
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
Miami is not a real TCON hub anyway...
TCON.....ICON.....EXCON. Name it what you like, and then go to the podium a la Doug Parker and proclaim to the world that "there's no doubt our customers have noticed the improvement that's been made to the inflight product".

Moving from an A321 with on-demand video and comfortable legroom in the premium cabin to a MAX8 with significantly reduced pitch and no on-demand video at each F seat for what can often be a six-hour flight from MIA to LAX is a significantly negative and unappealing change. YMMV.
deeruck and enviroian like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:55 am

Flying AA to Hawaii - Max 8?

Hi! I am planning to book LAS-LIH (stop in either LAX or PHX) for probably May 2020 with AA. They have good rates on the Economy Web Specials, but these rates are nonrefundable and you can't change your itinerary. Since May is so far away....I was hoping someone could help me with something I was thinking of. Once the Max 8 is back flying, is there any chance they would use it for this route? Right now all the legs have a A319 as the plane. Is that something that is interchangeable with the Max 8? I wasn't sure if those planes are even swap-able or too different in size. It's hard to say how I will feel about flying Max8 that far in the future, but obviously right now it's not sounding too great. I just don't want to book this for 11 months out and then have it change over from 319 to a Max 8 and have my itinerary not be changeable. Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Currently, American's flights to Hawaii utilize the Airbus A321 from LAX and the Boeing 757-200 from PHX.

By May of next year, the B752 will be phased out and replaced by the A321neo on the PHX - Hawaii flights.

It is extremely unlikely that the 737M8 will fly those routes, as planes used for the mainland to the Hawaiian Islands flights must be ETOPS certified and, to the best of my knowledge American, has no ETOPS certified 737M8's.
JDiver and GlobalMatt like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mtrhowe85
Once the Max 8 is back flying, is there any chance they would use it for this route? Right now all the legs have a A319 as the plane. Is that something that is interchangeable with the Max 8?
Welcome to FlyerTalk! It's hard to see out that far, however, a good tool to use as the time gets closer is the AA Cargo website that shows you all the domestic and international flights and the aircraft type. Link here: https://www.aacargo.com/ship/schedules.html

You will want to select "Cargo Schedules" as your option and it should show you 3-6 months out from departure. Unfortunately at this time it is too far out to know for sure, but I have not heard of any plans to use the Max 8 on flights to Hawaii for AA. Might be a different story for WN. My understanding is that the majority of AA Max8 aircraft are reserved for Caribbean flights and South America flights.

Another great resource is to stay tuned to the FT thread on the AA Max 8. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...dation-16.html

That said I agree with TWA884 that it is highly unlikely you'll find yourself on a Max 8 to Hawaii from LAS.

Last edited by GlobalMatt; Jun 29, 2019 at 6:47 pm Reason: quick add
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by meunger11
Welcome to FlyerTalk! It's hard to see out that far, however, a good tool to use as the time gets closer is the AA Cargo website that shows you all the domestic and international flights and the aircraft type. Link here: https://www.aacargo.com/ship/schedules.html

You will want to select "Cargo Schedules" as your option and it should show you 3-6 months out from departure. Unfortunately at this time it is too far out to know for sure, but I have not heard of any plans to use the Max 8 on flights to Hawaii for AA. Might be a different story for WN. My understanding is that the majority of AA Max8 aircraft are reserved for Caribbean flights and South America flights.

Another great resource is to stay tuned to the FT thread on the AA Max 8. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...dation-16.html

That said I agree with TWA884 that it is highly unlikely you'll find yourself on a Max 8 to Hawaii from LAS.
The latest is that AA will use the A321neo aircraft on Hawaii flights, starting in October (first replacing the older LUS 757s)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by formeraa
The latest is that AA will use the A321neo aircraft on Hawaii flights, starting in October (first replacing the older LUS 757s)
That has been the plan all along, though the MAX grounding disruptions could see schedule changes, I suspect.

AA has announced the purchase if A321XLR as well; those will be used for transatlantic flights and IMO might be used on thinner routes like DFW-OGG. AA has not had a 737-800 ETOPS subfleet, and I don’t believe there has been any intention of an ETOPS MAX, though as Alaska and others have demonstrated the feasibility of ETOPS 737. (Aloha even operated a few ETOPS 737-200; I flew on a couple of those.)
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
737-Max-8's are still on the schedule again starting September 4th, right? Shouldn't they get put off the schedule until at least October soon so crews can bid on the correct schedule?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by donotblink
737-Max-8's are still on the schedule again starting September 4th, right? Shouldn't they get put off the schedule until at least October soon so crews can bid on the correct schedule?

Yes, I have an award ticket on hold that includes DCA-MIA on a 7M8 on October 3. WTH??? It connects to a flight to Aruba the next day. Doesn't make me warm and fuzzy.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
For upcoming trips I have on AA which included flights on the MAX8, American changes the equipment to an alternate aircraft when the flight is about 60 days in the future.......at least that is what I have experienced on two separate occasions.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
By all accounts it's doubtful that AA would have the Max back online by September 4. Like rolling delays even if AA know it can't make a deadline it waits until providing a new deadline presumably until they might have a better idea of how much longer the Max might be grounded. If you have a Max flight in early September it's doubtful you're see that a/c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.