Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Project Oasis retrofitting reversal???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: Project Oasis retrofitting reversal???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:23 am

I have moved my discretionary domestic first class travel to Delta. I send AA a copy of each ticket I purchase along with a short explanation as to why that travel is not on AA (plane, price, or schedule). I still fly AA/BA in Premium Eco or higher, but domestic AA has truly fallen short. Between the plane and the inconsistency of the crew, it is not an enjoyable experience.
JDiver, ijgordon and NPF like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Wake up
LOL

Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by donotblink
I believe @JonNYC more than your typical FlyerTalker. Personally, I think it's likely that they'll make an adjustment to new builds of the 737 MAX and Oasis retrofits of existing aircraft's, but it's unlikely to see them changed already refreshed aircraft or newly built aircraft.
Me too!

Always trusted JonNYC's source. I hope JonNYC can post more FT thread rather than post on twitter first.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
I have moved my discretionary domestic first class travel to Delta.
I applaud your efforts based on talking with your hard earned $$. That is what gets AA's attention. I don't buy first class so I'm not a valued customer in AA's eyes, I get that. I can only comment on the first class seat I flew over the last few days to Detroit and back and I thought it was fine but if anything a little firm. When I'm in the coach seat bulkhead or exit row at sometime in inevitable near future I will comment then.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I've not seen anything publicly disclosed in AA filings that they are considering reversing what is a huge decision. A reversal that would cost them millions. Until AA states such it's speculation whether on FT on someone claiming they have the inside track. Sure maybe it's been discussed in meetings but something of this magnitude would need Board approval. And none of us sit on the BOD.
Ummm... why are you so emotional about this particular topic? You've been around FT long enough to know both a) JonNYC's track record and b) that 95% of this entire site is nothing but speculation.

Come in off the ledge man, you are taking this thread way, way too serious. And your posts in this thread are becoming rather repetitive. I think we are all quite clear where you stand on this at this point.

Regards
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I read JonNYC's tweets - I get the impression this is just a rumor and under consideration. No changes seem imminent at this time. May or may not happen.

I'm taking the "I'll believe it when I see it" stance.
JonNYC, AANYC1981 and dciolli like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... why are you so emotional about this particular topic? You've been around FT long enough to know both a) JonNYC's track record and b) that 95% of this entire site is nothing but speculation.

Come in off the ledge man, you are taking this thread way, way too serious. And your posts in this thread are becoming rather repetitive. I think we are all quite clear where you stand on this at this point.

Regards
Well that's it. When people speak of authority and fact based upon their speculation. Speculation is fun and entertaining but then there's the reality of how business decisions get made. Decisions are made based upon empirical data not what the latest topic on FT might be. In fact, it's probably very safe to assume the overwhelming majority of EXPs and CKs have never heard of FT and would have zero desire to post here. Moreover, yes JonNYC has information (probably from some source) but he doesn't have a direct pipeline into executive strategic management. IF AA was seeing a material runoff in EXPs and CKs, and the revenue thereto, they would likely need to disclose that in a SEC filing.

Yes, AA's financial results suck compare to DL and UA but it's very inconclusive that Project Oasis is the culprit, particularly when DL and UA have also gone down the road of densification. Heck, even B6 founded on the concept of a better coach experience has shoved more seats into its a/c.

Again, we really don't know much.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:39 am
Suspended

Talking

Originally Posted by Austin787
I read JonNYC's tweets - I get the impression this is just a rumor and under consideration. No changes seem imminent at this time. May or may not happen.

I'm taking the "I'll believe it when I see it" stance.
Agreed-- and it's far from clear if they'll go through with this move, that's most definitely been discussed, but, hey-- I've posted more far-fetched things:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27965909-post44.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27966263-post48.html
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Agreed-- and it's far from clear if they'll go through with this move, that's most definitely been discussed, but, hey-- I've posted more far-fetched things:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27965909-post44.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27966263-post48.html
Not to pick a nit....where is the damned IAD-LHR announcement?
JonNYC and grapkoski like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I've been claiming that-- and proving it-- for over a decade.

Wake up.

The rumor has very serious foundation and that is NOT mere speculation, regardless of if it ever come to pass, which I'd say is certainly less likely than likely. But anyone who says/thinks I don't have unique and incredible inside knowledge is misinformed.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Well that's it. When people speak of authority and fact based upon their speculation. Speculation is fun and entertaining but then there's the reality of how business decisions get made. Decisions are made based upon empirical data not what the latest topic on FT might be. In fact, it's probably very safe to assume the overwhelming majority of EXPs and CKs have never heard of FT and would have zero desire to post here. Moreover, yes JonNYC has information (probably from some source) but he doesn't have a direct pipeline into executive strategic management. IF AA was seeing a material runoff in EXPs and CKs, and the revenue thereto, they would likely need to disclose that in a SEC filing.

Yes, AA's financial results suck compare to DL and UA but it's very inconclusive that Project Oasis is the culprit, particularly when DL and UA have also gone down the road of densification. Heck, even B6 founded on the concept of a better coach experience has shoved more seats into its a/c.

Again, we really don't know much.
what? Disclose in an SEC filing? In what Parallel Universe would that be? They report on standard revenue metrics, and then explain the results as they see fit. Maybe they get pinned down in an investor call, but hardly rises to an event requiring SEC disclosure.

knowledge of discussions going on internally is what is being reported. Labeling that speculation is a disservice.

The speculation is around what might happen as a result of internal discussions.
JDiver and grapkoski like this.

Last edited by beachfan; Mar 4, 2019 at 11:52 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:48 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Not to pick a nit....where is the damned IAD-LHR announcement?
That's tough but fair
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Complaining

On my SFODFW 32B this morning, the captain came through and spent some time with those of us in a partially full 1st class cabin. Even with upgrades we went out with 3 empty seats. He specifically spoke with all three EXPs on board. I let him know that I would continue to fly this airframe and configuration but AA would lose my business if I had to fly an Oasis plane. We’ll see if they get the hint when revenue drops.

If I were in the airline business I would be keeping track of what my customers AND my compeitors customers were complaining about. We’ll see if they are.
rvolkcpa and cbender like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
" airline business I would be keeping track of what my customers AND my competitors customers were complaining about. "

I am not so sure AA is in currently in the airline business. I know for sure UAL is not in the airline business.

UAL is in the landing rights holding business. UAL has been in that business since the late 1970s. AA had been in the airline business until the US Air, AA merger. Now that Parker is running the show, I often wonder if AAs center of gravity is a copying of UALs decades long strategy of saying they are a airline, but actually are a landing rights holding company.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Only in modern, low-cost-minded aviation does "improving" pitch from 30 to 31" generate as much wild, excited speculation as this. Wow.
JDiver, SouthernCross, NPF and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by econometrics
Only in modern, low-cost-minded aviation does "improving" pitch from 30 to 31" generate as much wild, excited speculation as this. Wow.
Only in modern, low-cost-minded [a bean counter dominated] aviation [market] does "improving" pitch from 30 to 31" [30.5] generate as much wild, excited speculation as this. Wow.

Fixed the sentence for you. No need to thank me.
morrisunc and Spanish like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.