Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Project Oasis retrofitting reversal???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: Project Oasis retrofitting reversal???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by enviroian
Are these oasis configured planes only at a certain hub? Can’t say I’ve seen one at DFW.
All 738s (and A321s) are to be retrofitted to Awaysis standards. The 7M8 has these seats etc. “out of the Box”. There will be no way to avoid them as the preponderance of the fleet is refitted.

Reversal? With the current bean beancounter leadership (sic)?

Gary Weissel, managing director of Tronos Aviation Consulting Inc., estimated that American could generate about $400,000 a year for each seat it adds to a plane, based on average fares and typical aircraft usage.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
This is one time where I hope a rumor turns out to be true. Not only does OASIS affect the folks in back, it also affects F passengers along with the FA's as well. Not a good combo.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
Are these oasis configured planes only at a certain hub? Can’t say I’ve seen one at DFW.
The one's I've been on have been IND-DFW, formerly an exclusive MD-80 route. In the last 2 months only 1 has been the older 737 layout.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
On what has to wonder who reviews the designs and looks at the quality of fit and finding. The 788s has a ton of complaints, and this the poor F design is something that would be obvious from a mock-up.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:38 pm
Suspended

So is this the moment that Douggie Parker finally sat in one of the Awaysis B738Max 30 inches seats and maybe have had the fortunate yet unforgettable experience to sat on the back-end lavatory for a moment?

if so I might belive in the rumour.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DrunkenDuck
I’m EP, but my wife prefers JetBlue. We have 3 kids. The first Oasis flight will probably be my wife’s last. And I’ll start connecting thru Atlanta. Every AA flight, she’s asks if they will have seatback entertainment for the kids. She’s feeling the stress of having to manage all the devices and batteries. She suffers with AA because I get us MCE, usually, but that’s hit or miss with those US planes where most MCE seats are exit row and my kids can’t sit there.

Im sure they’ll reverse the decision, but only after shareholders fire Parker. That will be some time. He’s strategy is aimless. And he’s eroding the brand. Someday, the BOD will realize that. Just like the goofballs running Hienz-Kraft.
It's comical - AA thinks they can win this race to the bottom and compete with NK/F9/G4 but they'll never be able to have a ULCC's cost structure. Their yields have to be trash these days. There's little reason to choose AA for the leisure flyer. You're not going to get a PTV on NK either, so why bother? And AAdvantage isn't nearly the attraction it once was.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Literally none of this is correct.
If none of this is correct then why have the ME3 US3 moved more towards the ULCC model? I wish this wasn’t so but I see no evidence that AA is going to move away from “ densification.” After all it’s not senior management trying to get a/c turned around on tight turns. And if you are EXP or CK it would be rare for you to sit in a Y- seat.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2019 at 8:27 am Reason: Correct distracting error
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge

If none of this is correct then why have the ME3 US3 moved more towards the ULCC model? I wish this wasn’t so but I see no evidence that AA is going to move away from “ densification.” After all it’s not senior management trying to get a/c turned around on tight turns. And if you are EXP or CK it would be rare for you to sit in a Y- seat.
why is it rare for exp or ck to sit in y?
IAHtraveler likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2019 at 8:28 am Reason: Correct distracting error in quoted post
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Nuhusky

why is it rare for exp or ck to sit in y?
I for one frequently am in Y coming in and out of PHX since i have to connect in DFW or ORD. Granted it is usually MCE Y and not plain Y. Lack of upgrades is however for another thread
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:09 pm
Suspended

ditto my previous reaction

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2019 at 8:30 am Reason: Correct distracting error in quoted post
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:09 pm

If none of this is correct then why have the ME3 moved more towards the ULCC model? I wish this wasn’t so but I see no evidence that AA is going to move away from “ densification.” After all it’s not senior management trying to get a/c turned around on tight turns. And if you are EXP or CK it would be rare for you to sit in a Y- seat.
DL hasn’t densified. And UA is adding more premium cabin so their ratio is better for upgrades. Plus DL is keeping IFE. I’ve sat in Y and I care. Plus when I travel with my family, I’m usually in Y and I’ll say that I really care about the experience in Y when I’m with my young ones. I’ll book away just so I can get IFE for them. My employer gives us discretion on carrier.

I’m EP MIA based, so going to DL will be a pain. But not that much. And oddly, they often have better timing than AA on the routes I take.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The lack of underseat storage space and the missing dividers between the cabins really bother me as a mostly F passenger.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
So while DL is putting in more spacious seats and bigger IFE, AA is busy reducing seat pitch and stripping all IFE. Sounds like a great move.
Don't believe that's a fair assessment. DL is also standardizing most of their narrowbody fleet to 30-31" pitch in Y, notwithstanding the A220.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Reversal? With the current bean beancounter leadership (sic)?
Say what you want about DP and his team, but one thing they have been good at is pushing the envelope but then reversing cuts when they go too far. EG charging for water, meal windows, etc.
MrAndy1369 and railmatt like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by DrunkenDuck

DL hasn’t densified. And UA is adding more premium cabin so their ratio is better for upgrades. Plus DL is keeping IFE. I’ve sat in Y and I care. Plus when I travel with my family, I’m usually in Y and I’ll say that I really care about the experience in Y when I’m with my young ones. I’ll book away just so I can get IFE for them. My employer gives us discretion on carrier.

I’m EP MIA based, so going to DL will be a pain. But not that much. And oddly, they often have better timing than AA on the routes I take.
For the record, DL has had planes configured at or near Oasis levels for years. Delta’s 737-900 is a lead example. Delta also has at/near Oasis level seat pitch in F across their domestic fleet.

The difference is that Delta has kept IFE, and their first seats are well padded whereas the AA seat has that awful bar which protrudes into one’s back. Delta also does a much more thourough and thoutful job with their interior design (or redesign.) Case in point: An Oasis 738 has new bins but has kept the old 1990s side walls. Conversey, Delta’s recently retrofitted 757s have been completely gutted floor to ceiling so that they are indistinguishable from a plane built yesterday.
railmatt, wrp96, Antarius and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.