Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Project Oasis retrofitting reversal???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: Project Oasis retrofitting reversal???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
What you people don't seem to understand is basis cost structure. Flying an additional pax has nominal additional expenses. A little more in fuel and whatever tiny snack and can of whatever beverage. Even if some of those additional seats go empty the nominal cost to AA is very small. So if AA is selling half of those additional seats it's still probably coming out ahead.

Yeah I believe "densification" sucks and makes life miserable for gate agents, flight crew and paxs. But if one thing the past 10 years has proved senior management cares very little about any of this. Look at this way. For the past 10 years you couldn't go 2 weeks without another media article bashing some aspect of airline operations. Yet during the same time airlines have raised fares, introduced fees, increased fees, added more seats, etc. Without a doubt airline management doesn't make decisions based the perception of the public.

I don't see 60% load factors. In fact as I walk through DFW, MIA, ORD, CLT, JFK, SFO, LAX (and any other airport) on the way to my gate I hear the all too familiar "ladies and gentlemen we are expecting a full flight today." Nor is there any evidence that EXPs and CKs are abandoning AA in droves. In fact, unless you can get another airline to status match as an EXP or CK you'd probably wouldn't want to leave AA. Would you really want to restart at the mid tier level at UA or DL? is WN or B6 going to get you to Japan? And it's not like either has 34 inch pitch and serves steak and lobster in Y.
Oy.

If AA was doing so well, and making all the right strategic and tactical decisions, then why has it's share price so dramatically underperformed all of its peers? We're talking 20 to 30 percentage points worse than the overall S&P Airline index over the past 1, 2, 3, and 5-year periods. It's embarrassing.
no1cub17 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Right now whether AA is going to reverse project Oasis is nothing more than wild speculation at FT. It's success or failure from a business and finance standpoint on FT is nothing more than rampant theorizing and speculation. In truth project Oasis is just getting started and AA would not have sufficient data yet to tell them whether this strategic decision was a success, as defined by it's budget goals, or a failure. As someone that is PLT (and therefore upgrading about 25% of the time) I hate the "densification" of the Y section and the time from time chaos that occurs, particularly in boarding.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2019 at 8:18 am Reason: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#gettingpersonal
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
<Redacted >

I'll be doing my first 73M flight next month. Excited and frightened at the same time. My expectations are very, very low.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2019 at 8:21 am Reason: Redacted reply to previously deleted post content
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I can't make sense what this new seat looks like in F at least. I flew DTW-DFW yesterday on a 738 that had slimline seats in F. The power source for electronics was under your armrest to the back. Is this a new configuration?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
I can't make sense what this new seat looks like in F at least. I flew DTW-DFW yesterday on a 738 that had slimline seats in F. The power source for electronics was under your armrest to the back. Is this a new configuration?
Yes. that is the new configuration.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Yes. that is the new configuration.
Oh! I had no idea. It's not that bad really but I can't describe Y since I was in 1A. I didn't notice any bar at all (ala 319 that sticks in your back upon recline).
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I don't see it happening. The flyers that AA is really concerned about are the ones not impacted. They are sitting up front, usually on a long haul in a flat bed seat. The guy/gal flying and spending enough to make GLD, PLT and PLT PRO is a dime a dozen. Not to mention they either have no choice in the airline they fly or are a hub captive. Moreover, its not like DL and UA are providing spacious room in the back. AA's philosophy is that if someone is uncomfortable in a 30-31 inch pinch seat they should pony up the additional $$ for MCE.
Originally Posted by Catbert10
The customers sitting in the front of an Oasisfied plane are sitting in some of the worst FC seats in the sky. Trust me, AA is hearing lots of complaints from the people riding in front

If none of this is correct then why have the ME3 US3 moved more towards the ULCC model? I wish this wasn’t so but I see no evidence that AA is going to move away from “ densification.” After all it’s not senior management trying to get a/c turned around on tight turns. And if you are EXP or CK it would be rare for you to sit in a Y- seat.
Simple. If enough EXPs and CKs bolt and it’s due to new seat configurations AA might reverse Oasis. Other than a few complainers on FT there’s zero evidence this is occurring. When you consider that the densification brings an extra $400K a year in revenue per seat it’s going to take much more than FT complaining and speculation.
Catbert10 is spot on. You have incorrect information. In those places CKs and EXPs gather virtually and where there are AA staff solidly in information channeling positions, CKs and EXPs are definitely upset, vociferously complaining - and actually moving “Awaysis” to other airlines.

Speculation: This could lead to some changes to Oasis, at least in seat padding on future orders. MCE and it’s availability upon booking might itigate some of the pressure to do much about MC, but the seatback bar and lack of underseat stowage, along with reduced pitch and recline, could see some MiQ seat, and possibly other changes.

I don’t think a huge purchase contract with the sole source (Rockwell Collins) is that easy to amend. On the other hand, the size and value might make it more amendable.

I’ve no insider connections or insider-guided insights; JonNYC obviously does, as he is quoted by several reputable bloggers frequently. We’ll just have to see what’s coming down the pike. But AA is definitely getting a lot of feedback from its High Value Flyers, many of who fly domestically a lot. And AA cabin crew are vocal about Oasis as well. Though Oasis is just at the early stages, it’s garnered a substantial volume of negative comments from those HVF you seem to think are quiescent (or not flying coach).

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2019 at 9:25 am Reason: Add
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:19 am
Suspended

Right now whether AA is going to reverse project Oasis is nothing more than wild speculation at FT.
Wrong.
Nuhusky and Pasqualle7 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I really want to know who in planning or operations or whatever thought it was a good idea to have seats installed that effectively make it impossible to store a laptop bag or back pack or tote underneath a seat.

Honestly, somebody needs to be -fired-.
JDiver, JonNYC, ijgordon and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I really want to know who in planning or operations or whatever thought it was a good idea to have seats installed that effectively make it impossible to store a laptop bag or back pack or tote underneath a seat.

Honestly, somebody needs to be -fired-.
Agreed. For those flying on business in particular, it precludes laptop stowage and requires laptops, business docs, etc. be stowed overhead. This contributes to bin crowding, requires passengers stand up to recover or replace their device, docs, etc. and bother the aisle passenger. It also may be a safety issue, as bin contents shift and hatches are opened, since smaller items like laptop bags are more likely to shift than rollaboard sized baggage.

The seatback bar and lack of under seat stowage (given there are no IFE distribution boxes etc. to block that) make the MiQ more like M-i-Q kay ee wye Emm oh you ess ee.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I've not seen anything publicly disclosed in AA filings that they are considering reversing what is a huge decision. A reversal that would cost them millions. Until AA states such it's speculation whether on FT on someone claiming they have the inside track. Sure maybe it's been discussed in meetings but something of this magnitude would need Board approval. And none of us sit on the BOD.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:00 am

By the way, for those discussing LUS 321s and “fans” of Oasis :

Originally Posted by bridge29
First LUS A321 oasis has been scheduled on PHL-SEA as of 5/3. Flight #2846 .
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
All you have to do is read the tea leaves. CC companies are reducing benefits. Airlines are reducing benefits. Loyalty means absolutely nothing. As the age-old cliche goes; "Money talks, BS walks. Expecting airlines to change is like watching molasses fall from a tree. Use your power (dollars) and choose the best product for that specific flight or trip. Domestically, airlines have absolutely little motivation to provide a decent product. But before pointing any finger(s) at the airlines, look at the four pointing back at you. Most casual flyers only care about one thing: PRICE! Airlines gave us that. I know AA is offering free catherization for all passengers that do not want to pee on their teeny tiny bathrooms.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

I've not seen anything publicly disclosed in AA filings that they are considering reversing what is a huge decision. A reversal that would cost them millions. Until AA states such it's speculation whether on FT on someone claiming they have the inside track. Sure maybe it's been discussed in meetings but something of this magnitude would need Board approval. And none of us sit on the BOD.
I've been claiming that-- and proving it-- for over a decade.

Wake up.

The rumor has very serious foundation and that is NOT mere speculation, regardless of if it ever come to pass, which I'd say is certainly less likely than likely. But anyone who says/thinks I don't have unique and incredible inside knowledge is misinformed.
steve64, SK, MIAFlyer and 11 others like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2019 at 10:30 am Reason: Edit for Rules compliance
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I believe @JonNYC more than your typical FlyerTalker. Personally, I think it's likely that they'll make an adjustment to new builds of the 737 MAX and Oasis retrofits of existing aircraft's, but it's unlikely to see them changed already refreshed aircraft or newly built aircraft.
JonNYC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.