Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Project Oasis retrofitting reversal???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: Project Oasis retrofitting reversal???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
AA has analyzed the data. They are just not pulling numbers out of thin air, particularly with some number obsessed CEO like Parker. So far I’m not seeing empty gates, ACs, seats, etc. so there is no mass exodus despite the hyperbole in FT. I for one would love to go back to the seating pitch of MD80s but it’s not gonna happen.
stewlevine likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
OK - does a 787 with same seat density as existing narrow body cost more than 2X the cost of a 321? There are other factors as well - "gates". AA is now using the maintenance hanger at LAX to create 4 new remote gates. AA sometimes has 2 flights from LAX to DFW departing within a few minutes..

At some point in time - maybe 20 years (with no new airports in the works) - gates and slots are going to be max'ed out. I think the A380 was likely 25 to 50 years too soon. 50 years from now - bigger planes may be needed on major hub routes. Le'ts see what the situation is in 50 years. Most of us won't be here - but to those under 30 - track it.

And maybe to the defense of the new seats - I did not find them to be that bad. I was in an economy exit row and I brought my own cushion. I like the IPad holders. Exit row was much better looking then First class - and the missing bulk head separating coach and F.

Last edited by cova; Mar 3, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cova
At some point in time - maybe 20 years (with no new airports in the works) - gates and slots are going to be max'ed out. I think the A380 was likely 25 to 50 years too soon. 50 years from now - bigger planes may be needed on major hub routes. Le'ts see what the situation is in 50 years. Most of us won't be here - but to those under 30 - track it.
Look at the average (or median) gauge of AA and American Eagle flights. There's plenty of room for upgauging - particularly at CLT and ORD. CLT was just 45% mainline in departures last summer. The most common aircraft wasn't a 738 or of the A320 family but a CR9.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:31 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
50 years from now - bigger planes may be needed on major hub routes.
One of the best things about flying in Asia (besides the obviously infinitely better service) is that you get widebodies on so many routes that are only 1-4 hours in length.

For example, I Just flew DPS-SIN (2.5hrs) in true business class on a brand new 787 on SQ last week. It was heaven!
Spanish likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Djokison

That’s not exactly a fair comparison. Obviously the A321NEO is going to have more seats that an A321.
Why? Is just a new engine. I don’t believe the fuselage has changed.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

AA’s (and soon enough, all newly delivered) A321NEOs have a different door configuration than the A321, allowing more seats.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Lovely have a CUN-MIA-LAX-HKG itin coming up, looks like CUN-MIA-LAX all on Oasis cabins as F now starts with row 1. Should be thoroughly bent out of shape before the long flight which is in F at least.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I’m old enough to remember when AA did a cushion rebuild project for the MD80s in F sometime shortly after they rolled out the dark blue seats on that fleet. May have done the same for the earliest 738s, but I can’t remember that for sure. I can definitely remember the MD80 cushions getting an adjustment when the seats were pretty new. They could do something similar for the new F seats on the Oasis and Max8 airplanes, which might fix the “bar” in the back that I read a lot of complaints about. It won’t fix the underseat storage issue, which is a very real problem as far as I’m concerned, and I know I’m not the only one that has seen it as an issue. I’m semi-confident something is going to happen with these new interiors that might take the suck factor down one notch. I’m very confident that whatever it is, if it happens, won’t be a return to what we had before, which was the most generous pitch in standard domestic F if I’m not mistaken.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
You don't sell the last 6 seats on the flight at the average coach fare, though. Usually those would get a much higher $ due to yield management (and bring up the average fare).
While true, this would be offset by a decrease in the fare of the seats sold earlier.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
AA has analyzed the data. They are just not pulling numbers out of thin air, particularly with some number obsessed CEO like Parker. So far I’m not seeing empty gates, ACs, seats, etc. so there is no mass exodus despite the hyperbole in FT. I for one would love to go back to the seating pitch of MD80s but it’s not gonna happen.
Just because they're selling the seats doesn't mean they're selling them for the price they want.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I think the A380 was likely 25 to 50 years too soon.
Originally Posted by Tom Enders, Airbus CEO
I think it is clear that we were 10 years too late.
jinglish and MarkOK like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
PEY Seats

Originally Posted by no1cub17
I'm a nobody to AA but I definitely agree that AA's PEY seats are inferior to, for example, CX. We haven't flown other PEY products such as BA, but AA's seat is definitely poorly padded and poorly thought out. CX PEY has much better recline as well. One of the dumbest things is the placement of the PTV remote right next to your right leg. If I seriously even moved a half inch my leg was going to inadvertently push a button and mess up whatever I was watching. The power port is also extremely poorly thought out. Whoever designed this seat didn't spend one nanosecond actually thinking about if it would be actually practical in real life or not. The recline on AA's seat is also nearly not as good as CX.

On the bright side, Dougie hasn't ripped PTVs out of PEY ... yet.
We're flown Qantas and AA PEY between the US and Australia. AA is ok but QF is better. I agree that power port access is poor.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

It certainly has.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:08 pm

This “oasis” on the horizon for Dougie and AA really appears to be turning out into just another mirage.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
AA publish its passenger load factor. I am sure Douggie saw something he did not like thus the rumour.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
What you people don't seem to understand is basis cost structure. Flying an additional pax has nominal additional expenses. A little more in fuel and whatever tiny snack and can of whatever beverage. Even if some of those additional seats go empty the nominal cost to AA is very small. So if AA is selling half of those additional seats it's still probably coming out ahead.

Yeah I believe "densification" sucks and makes life miserable for gate agents, flight crew and paxs. But if one thing the past 10 years has proved senior management cares very little about any of this. Look at this way. For the past 10 years you couldn't go 2 weeks without another media article bashing some aspect of airline operations. Yet during the same time airlines have raised fares, introduced fees, increased fees, added more seats, etc. Without a doubt airline management doesn't make decisions based the perception of the public.

I don't see 60% load factors. In fact as I walk through DFW, MIA, ORD, CLT, JFK, SFO, LAX (and any other airport) on the way to my gate I hear the all too familiar "ladies and gentlemen we are expecting a full flight today." Nor is there any evidence that EXPs and CKs are abandoning AA in droves. In fact, unless you can get another airline to status match as an EXP or CK you'd probably wouldn't want to leave AA. Would you really want to restart at the mid tier level at UA or DL? is WN or B6 going to get you to Japan? And it's not like either has 34 inch pitch and serves steak and lobster in Y.
Statman and BWISkyGuy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.