Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources; see links below to critical IROPS resources.
NOTE: Though many in the forum use "IRROPS", the correct airline term is "IROPS".

"When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee." (aa.com)

Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We need verification this number is still in service)

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)
Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays

Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page

Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.

For FlyerTalk Glossary, select "Help" menu at top of page, select "Glossary"

Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations

Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
 Within the U.S.

Language            Phone	Hours (CT)
 English	800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
 Spanish	800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
 Japanese	800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Mandarin	800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Portuguese	866-824-8717	6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
 Hearing &	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
 speech impaired
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.

From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ

Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?

Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)

AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?

See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?

Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Related issues

NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts can be seen in the 2017 ARCHIVE thread, here

Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)[/B].
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:48 am

I have a question on rebooking policy:

I am scheduled to fly JFK-LAX-HKG-SIN in F (purchased full-fare J ticket and upgraded with miles into A). My layover in LAX is a bit less than 2 hours and then have a comfortable amount of time in HKG. Should my JFK-LAX flight be delayed such that I'd miss my connection in LAX (not improbable given evening JFK departures), would AA rebook me onto the evening CX JFK-HKG flight in F or J or would they insist on rerouting me via flights in the AA system?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:35 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
When I had an issue, I was flying LGA-DFW-HKG, and was upgraded to J, my LG-DFW flight got delayed. I would miss my connection in DFW. When I called the ExPlat desk I was rerouted Cathay Pacific JFK-HKG in J as they preserved the upgrade. I had to push a little but it worked. If there is a First Class seat available you can try to do but I would work with the desk or the agents in the Admirals Club. JonNYC posts helped me push for the J seat.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:27 pm

Thanks thats very helpful and a positive datapoint for my hopes of getting switched to CX F with one less stop!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Just had my AVL>CLT leg canceled in the morning. 10,000 miles or $250 voucher. Took the voucher. I suck at math so it was the easiest choice.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Just had my AVL>CLT leg canceled in the morning. 10,000 miles or $250 voucher. Took the voucher. I suck at math so it was the easiest choice.
My math thinks you made a great choice on taking the voucher. As long as you follow through and use it.

Apparently yesterday afternoon was a little hellish for DFW. Flew in this morning and talked to the flight attendant about it -- flights that circled for a hour waiting for weather to clear only to get diverted to OKC. Other flights stuck on tarmacs at points of departure for well over an hour, etc. I was going to fly yesterday afternoon but when I saw a 40% chance of thunderstorms for Dallas, I decided to play it safe for sanity's sake and fly this morning. Good decision.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Apparently yesterday afternoon was a little hellish for DFW.
Yes, it was. My wife was scheduled to get in to XNA at 19:30, and multiple rolling delays out of both AUS and DFW had her get in four hours late. I'm not even sure she would have made it, had she not rebooked via TA at the first hint of a delay out of AUS.

Ah, the joys of business travel...

--woodstock
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Currently waiting for EWR-CLT and delayed 2.5 hours. Checked on the incoming flight which is just CLT-EWR flight 1891. I swear I just looked at the app and it said it had departed at 6:53, but then just looked again and it says delayed until 7:25 (currently 7:24). Assuming I’m not seeing things, is it normal for the app to show departed but then change?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: CO
Was flying biz IAD-LHR-ATH tonight on an American ticket, but the flight was operated by BA. IAD-LHR cancelled so they got me onto a Delta flight tomorrow in Biz via JFK. There is also an Emirates flight from EWR-ATH -- would they be able to put me onto that one or is Emirates a no go in terms of rebooking?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I swear I just looked at the app and it said it had departed at 6:53, but then just looked again and it says delayed until 7:25 (currently 7:24). Assuming I’m not seeing things, is it normal for the app to show departed but then change?
I've had this happen when they push back, identify a mechanical issue, and return to the gate / re-open the door.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by logicalrealist
I've had this happen when they push back, identify a mechanical issue, and return to the gate / re-open the door.
The flight in question ultimately left quite a bit later so that is a probable explanation. Unexpected weather delays or a sudden ground hold might also do it.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:17 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

This is a first for me - booked F award using miles. MIA-DFW today encountered 2+ hours delay due to mechanical and refueling. Missed my connection. Rebooked on a flight arriving close to 4 hours later from original time and lost my paid F seat.

What is a reasonable compensation? I am thinking of asking AA to refund the difference between F and Y saver award (12,500) for both the downgrade and the 4 hour delay that was within AA’s control.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:53 pm
bww

DFW KEF diversion to JFK 7/31

I am on AA 232 DFW to KEF.
Any insight why AA would divert to JFK instead of an aircraft swap?

Could anyone help explain the expert flyer info:

[QUOTE]
Comments:
☨DTE CHNG FLT☨ ORIG 31JUL
DFW 820P A A28
JFK ☨ 8 40 1239A 200A
KEF ☨ 915A
3DFW/ETD2020 MTR-DELAY DUE TO A/C MAINTENANCE *1857
2JFK/ETA0047 *1902
3JFK/ETD0200 OPX-CXLD OPERATIONAL DECISION *1915
1KEF/OVR KEF TO JFK PRE0050 MTR-DELAY DUE TO A/C MAINTENANCE *1850
2KEF/PRE1144 *1915

[\QUOTE]
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Maybe there wasn't a suitable aircraft to swap at DFW at the time. They probably thought that it would be the least disruptive to simply fly the aircraft to JFK where they can either repair it or swap the aircraft there.

AA has 24 international configured 757s, and they need every single one to operate their current schedule (DFW-KEF used up their one and only spare as their schedule required 23 before). There are no spares sitting around. If they're lucky, they might be able to pull one off an incoming flight. If your aircraft was swapped, it's possible that they yanked one assigned to the JFK-MIA route (there are two of them).

Looks like your stop at JFK was a brief one. Your departure time appears to be 2:00AM.

Last edited by diburning; Jul 31, 2018 at 11:19 pm
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:10 am
bww

Originally Posted by diburning
Looks like your stop at JFK was a brief one. Your departure time appears to be 2:00AM.
Update when we got to JFK they had the replacement at the next gate waiting and ready. The pilots went on board and decided within about 5 minutes they didn’t want to fly that night. The gate agent said they did not time out but chose not to fly. What’s up with that? Next departure is 2PM est today.

What is interesting is they claimed the aircraft we were on from DFW to JFK lacked a cockpit instrument needed for etops, yet it was clearly a 757 international configuration.

☨DTE CHNG FLT☨ ORIG 31JUL
DFW 820P A A28
JFK ☨ 9 8 40 1239A 200A
KEF ☨ 915A
3DFW/ETD2020 MTR-DELAY DUE TO A/C MAINTENANCE *1857
4DFW/OUT2020 OFF2044 *2044
7DFW/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA0232DFW31JUL *2051*CRCYMG
2JFK/IN0047 *2347
3JFK/ETD1400 CRA-DELAY DUE TO CREW AVAILABILITY *0018
1KEF/OVR KEF TO JFK PRE0050 MTR-DELAY DUE TO A/C MAINTENANCE *1850
2KEF/PRE0003 *0018
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bww

What is interesting is they claimed the aircraft we were on from DFW to JFK lacked a cockpit instrument needed for etops, yet it was clearly a 757 international configuration.
Perhaps the cockpit instrument they needed for ETOPS was broken?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.