Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi all,

Has any of the 777s on the LHR-JFK route got the new PE yet? I'm looking to fly in about 2 weeks time and was thinking of doing AA instead of BA.

Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Hi all,

Has any of the 777s on the LHR-JFK route got the new PE yet? I'm looking to fly in about 2 weeks time and was thinking of doing AA instead of BA.

Thanks.
Your chances are very low in getting a 777 (200 or 300) on that route. If you want to sit in a PE seat, I would buy with BA.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Are there any comments on whether it is possible to "buy up" to PEY at check-in? Would OW Emerald status make any difference? EZE-DFW in May....

Thanks for not wandering
Fred
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Any recent PE experiences seat and service

Any recent PE flight experiences. Anxious to hear about seat and services experiences. Thanks!!!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
Are there any comments on whether it is possible to "buy up" to PEY at check-in? Would OW Emerald status make any difference? EZE-DFW in May....

Thanks for not wandering
Fred
There are reports of this, yes. I believe further up in this thread.

If you're EXP, the complimentary Y-->PE upgrade benefit exists.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:18 pm

N725AN flew PAE-MIA on Friday, 9 Mar. Back in service.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
A friend is flying a 788 ORD-VCE in June so he's right in the middle of the A/C upgrade per the Gantt chart. He booked something like 5 months ago, and secured bulkhead MCE seats.

I doubt he'd buy-up to PE, since his Y fare was $1700 + another $300 in round-trip MCE fees. But I'm posting out of my own curiosity what happens to his assignment if the aircraft gets an upgrade. Will the system keep him in his bulkhead MCE? Any advice I can pass along other than "check your AA trip page regularly" ?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
A friend is flying a 788 ORD-VCE in June so he's right in the middle of the A/C upgrade per the Gantt chart. He booked something like 5 months ago, and secured bulkhead MCE seats.

I doubt he'd buy-up to PE, since his Y fare was $1700 + another $300 in round-trip MCE fees. But I'm posting out of my own curiosity what happens to his assignment if the aircraft gets an upgrade. Will the system keep him in his bulkhead MCE? Any advice I can pass along other than "check your AA trip page regularly" ?
At this point, none of us could intelligently answer that. There's rumors that the 787-8 fleet will have some cabin modifications, but those are not confirmed.

Until we have a seat map from AA, it's not really possible to speculate what will happen to the MCE cabin.

At this point, my guess is that if he is flying in June, he'll keep the seat he has. AA has been moving slower than they had scheduled on the PE refits in the past couple of months.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:06 pm

Buy up to PE $300

Originally Posted by wandering_fred

Thanks for not wandering
Fred
A couple of weeks ago CDG - PHL check in offer was $300 for MCE to PE. We've had several pre sale of PE op-ups- 1x DFW-HKG on the 1 77W at the time and a couple of 789 flights. We agreed it was about $250 too much...guess we DKWWA.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103

This happened to us in January on a 332. We had no charge bulkhead(7G & 7H), the aircraft changed to PE equipment, and the computer reassigned us the new MCE bulkheads 9G & 9H. My guess is the same would happen to him, although if bulkhead no's are already occupied he could end up in any MCE seat, even with the paid MCE. This is a good use of EF for aircraft change and/or seat alerts.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by cova
This MCE section of 3-3-3 is nice. I let a friend have my J seat and I sat in Y and I was presently surprised (first time in AA International in Y). But this was 3-3-3 MCE. I thought this is what coach should be for the entire airplane. People looked reasonably comfortable and I was as well.

But AA is going the other way - going 45 to 37J, add 24 PE, and make all of Y 3-4-3 and no MCE. Really brutal.
Of course the 3-3-3 MCE section is what they used to have throughout coach:
— 9 abreast in 777 economy class, which used to be configured 2-5-2
​​​​​​— 36 inch pitch, which is only 2 inches more than when AA sold 34 inch pitch throughout economy as “More Room Throughout Coach”
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bcj1949
Any recent PE flight experiences. Anxious to hear about seat and services experiences. Thanks!!!!!!
I just flew AA PE on a 777-200 from USA-Europe. I sat in one of the window seats. I am little taller than average (6'0) and in decent shape. The seat was comfortable, more spacious than the domestic F seat. The foot rest was of no use to me, as it had my knees way too bent. The seat has really good recline but I was not comfortable sleeping in it. For a day flight, where landing is while the destination is just getting ready to sleep would be great. I am not sure how much of a fan of me trying to sleep in that seat going forward. The service was better than I expected. The FAs came to check that I was still in my seat and to confirm my pre ordered meal. When it was brought to me it had my name on the tray. I was impressed by the PE food presentation, definitely better than domestic F. The breakfast was a quick thing done as close to landing as possible, thus no eggs / protein. The blanket was long enough, the pillow good, but did not try out the headset. I saw the amenity kit but did not use it. Of note there are no lotion/chapstick in it, only eye mask, socks, and toothbrush. I did not use the IFE so I cannot speak as to how it worked from the seat.

Overall nicely done to create a cabin. I paid for new fare class right after I booked it and got a great deal (only $100 more one way). The flight was sleeping upgrades to J for $550 at check-in.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:54 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Thanks for the review. I just booked a PE fare for FRA-DFW-Xxx-DFW-CDG for next week. Both flights on a 772 according to the seat map. Hopefully no sub to a non PE 772 will happen.
I have a middle seat for the return, as it is all that is available. I am quite tall, is bulkhead a better option ?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Hopefully no sub to a non PE 772 will happen.
It won't. ...Or I should more accurately say, it is extremely unlikely.

I have a middle seat for the return, as it is all that is available. I am quite tall, is bulkhead a better option ?

IMO, yes.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:49 am

N735AT heading back to DFW with PE on board shortly today (15 March).

Nothing scheduled to replace her at PAE just yet.

Also odd that after they did the refit on N788AN, they have yet to send another of the 12 remaining 45J frames to PAE to keep the process going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.