Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nomorepretzels
Well, when the mods are done with the Zods the confusion of what aircraft has which seats will be a little harder since both will now have 37 J's.
(Correct me if I'm wrong).

Bookmark Flightradar24 for the flight's Aircraft Registration and American Fleet Site for the J seat reference - have them ready.
That confusion already exists, as the 37J planes currently have either the zodiac or the BE seats. Now there’ll just be 19 instead of the current 7 37J zodiac planes.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Yep. Keep a list of the tail #s with the Zodiac or BE seats in your Notes app on your phone, like I do. ^
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:05 pm

N761AJ heading from JFK-->PAE today for 45J->37J refit with PE.

10 45J 772's left now:

N751AN, N754AN, N757AN, N759AN, N760AN
N768AA, N773AN, N785AN, N795AN, N798AN
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:07 pm

AA PE underseat storage space and other issues

Hi everyone,

After having flown it twice so far as the result of last-minute aircraft swaps on 772's, I am very disappointed with the AA PE hard product. The only thing I really like about it is the bigger IFE screen. My main problem is that I always travel with a relatively small backpack, and even if I take pains to remove things from it before sitting down, there is a major blocking issue - it's either a hard plastic flap or equipment box under every seat; can't tell which - that makes the underseat clearance SO LOW that i can never fit the bag fully under the seat. This seems like a huge oversight on the part of AA. They are basically removing the option for PE passengers of keeping a small bag under their seat, unless they are able to awkwardly angle it just so, or have no one in the next seat over and lay it lengthwise. How did this make it past the design stage and into production??

Also, as others have mentioned, the power outlet and earphone jacks are in a pitch-dark, difficult-to-reach area that is very difficult to see, let alone plug in, adjust or remove devices. I would much rather they just left the power outlet and headphone jack in the seatback like it is in the most recent iteration of MCE. Lastly, the removable PE IFE remote controls seem much more cheaply made and plastic-y than their MCE counterparts, even on the same plane! On my most recent flight, my seatmate wasn't able to use hers at all, and it probably had only been installed for a couple of months!

I have been going out of my way to find JFK-LHR flights that use the few remaining refurbished 772's with the previous MCE configurations (3-3-3 with no PE) as I find them more comfortable, especially when there is an open middle seat. But my last two trips have both seen last-minute (T-24) swaps out for PE planes, and I just got word that tomorrow's flight on AA 142 has been swapped as well. So I get a PE seat for "free", but this really just means all the inconveniences of the new PE seat and none of the enjoyable soft product features (upgraded food, drinks and bedding, etc).

Does anyone agree with me about the above? Is there any hope of AA at least addressing the ridiculous underseat stowage issue in PE? And how many more of these last-minute swaps into PE-equipped 772's am I likely to be subjected to?

Thanks,

Daniel
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by danwer930
Hi everyone,

After having flown it twice so far as the result of last-minute aircraft swaps on 772's, I am very disappointed with the AA PE hard product. The only thing I really like about it is the bigger IFE screen. My main problem is that I always travel with a relatively small backpack, and even if I take pains to remove things from it before sitting down, there is a major blocking issue - it's either a hard plastic flap or equipment box under every seat; can't tell which - that makes the underseat clearance SO LOW that i can never fit the bag fully under the seat. This seems like a huge oversight on the part of AA. They are basically removing the option for PE passengers of keeping a small bag under their seat, unless they are able to awkwardly angle it just so, or have no one in the next seat over and lay it lengthwise. How did this make it past the design stage and into production??

Also, as others have mentioned, the power outlet and earphone jacks are in a pitch-dark, difficult-to-reach area that is very difficult to see, let alone plug in, adjust or remove devices. I would much rather they just left the power outlet and headphone jack in the seatback like it is in the most recent iteration of MCE. Lastly, the removable PE IFE remote controls seem much more cheaply made and plastic-y than their MCE counterparts, even on the same plane! On my most recent flight, my seatmate wasn't able to use hers at all, and it probably had only been installed for a couple of months!

I have been going out of my way to find JFK-LHR flights that use the few remaining refurbished 772's with the previous MCE configurations (3-3-3 with no PE) as I find them more comfortable, especially when there is an open middle seat. But my last two trips have both seen last-minute (T-24) swaps out for PE planes, and I just got word that tomorrow's flight on AA 142 has been swapped as well. So I get a PE seat for "free", but this really just means all the inconveniences of the new PE seat and none of the enjoyable soft product features (upgraded food, drinks and bedding, etc).

Does anyone agree with me about the above? Is there any hope of AA at least addressing the ridiculous underseat stowage issue in PE? And how many more of these last-minute swaps into PE-equipped 772's am I likely to be subjected to?

Thanks,

Daniel
I haven't flown PE yet, but the issue with no storage is odd since the seats are the same as you get on Domestic FC, I always store my pack back in the overhead bin,I take my laptop or iPad out first. I'd rather have the room for my feet. In regards to the power and UBS, so your saying that there is no USB port on the IEF screen? If not I guess I would make sure my devices are plugged in before settling into my seat.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:12 pm

N811AB still off the schedule. Assume it's still at SAT for whatever purpose.

Nothing scheduled on the other 18 aircraft in the next few days. If N800AN took about 24 days, then if N811AB is in for the same thing, it would stand to reason it should be leaving SAT within the next 7-10 days. (Assuming it's in for what N800AN was, and not something different or in addition to.)

Edit: above referencing the 788 and replacement of the mini J cabin with PE.

Last edited by thunderlounge; Oct 15, 2018 at 11:53 am
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:43 am

N785AN going to PAE today from JFK.

N756AM scheduled to do PAE-JFK today with refit complete.

9 more non-PE 772s left now.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Daniel
Eh, I flew MIA-LAX last night on a PE-equippped 772 in a row 14 window seat and experienced no such issue with underseat. I was glad to have the extra room of PE without any of the extra cost. I was also glad to have (barely) enough armrest for myself and the person sitting next to me.

I still felt tired afterwards, and I'll be flying this config again about three times in the coming month, but it's better than MCE.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Daniel
I have not experienced any of these.
PE is far superior to MCE in all regards.
I did not find the under seat space constrained at all, in any case, there seems to be plenty of overhead bin space for second items even when cabin full.
I don't find myself plugging in and unplugging multiple devices during flight. Just plug USB cable, headphones at start of flight and then done. Forget about it for the next 8 hours.
The remote can be cardboard if they want, as long as it works, I don't care if it feels plastic-y. BTW, it work fine.

Whether it is worth it to pay for it or not is a matter of preferences.
Most EXPs that are used to get PE for free say it is not worth to pay for it (duh).
Personally (GLD), PE is my cabin of choice for leisure travel. It feels like a decent normal flying experience. In MCE/MC I feel like cattle/ abused (lol). YMMV
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I have not experienced any of these.
PE is far superior to MCE in all regards.
I did not find the under seat space constrained at all, in any case, there seems to be plenty of overhead bin space for second items even when cabin full.
I don't find myself plugging in and unplugging multiple devices during flight. Just plug USB cable, headphones at start of flight and then done. Forget about it for the next 8 hours.
The remote can be cardboard if they want, as long as it works, I don't care if it feels plastic-y. BTW, it work fine.

Whether it is worth it to pay for it or not is a matter of preferences.
Most EXPs that are used to get PE for free say it is not worth to pay for it (duh).
Personally (GLD), PE is my cabin of choice for leisure travel. It feels like a decent normal flying experience. In MCE/MC I feel like cattle/ abused (lol). YMMV
Does the IEF not have a USB port?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

My middle seat flight is approaching very. rapidly.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:59 am

N760AN going to PAE from JFK today.

8 45J non-PE Zodiac 772s left now.

Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by samwise6222

My middle seat flight is approaching very. rapidly.
13D and 13G are heavy sleepers known to make use of the 'shoulder armrests' of fellow passengers around them

Just think of the EQMs!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:15 am

N761AJ landing shortly at DFW from PAE to re-enter service. 👍🏼

Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:58 pm

Readers Digest version from the 788 J seat thread:

- Currently 1 of 20 788's have been modified (N800AN) (5% chance you get it, scheduled between ORD and LHR for next few days.)

- No 788's currently scheduled for PAE (via publicly available schedule for the next few days)

- N811AB returned from SAT, but has not been refit (seat map still shows 28J)

In short, SAT is apparently not doubling as a refit location, and there are simply maintenance/other things going on at SAT for the 788's.

Link to N800AN schedule: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n800an

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.