Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Hopefully someone will be able to help with this question. Apologies if it has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer...

I am travelling from LAS to MAN in October. First time TATL with AA, and in coach too - so it will be a bit of a shock

Routing is LAS - PHX - ORD - MAN - ORD - LAS with the PHX - ORD - MAN sectors booked as BA codeshares. Everything else is AA flight numbers, and all flights are operated by AA.

I have three separate PNRs - one shows all five sectors but the two BA codeshares are effectively greyed out (so I can't click to change seat assignments for example). I have a BA record locator for the two codeshare flights but this simply redirects me to another AA record locator and this 3rd record locator contains just the PHX - ORD - MAN sectors but with the AA flight numbers.

I am AA Platinum through a corporate challenge and have 12 stickers available to me as part of the challenge. However, none of the flights can be upgraded. I know that I can't upgrade the ORD - MAN - ORD sectors using stickers, but I had assumed that I would still be able to upgrade the domestic sectors. Is this not the case and the EU destination effectively nullifies any upgrades? Can I ask to be added to the upgrade list at the airport for the domestic sectors? Finally, for the international sectors, I assume that other than miles & taxes there's no other way to upgrade but that there is a slim possibility of a complimentary upgrade if the cabin is oversold?

Appreciate any and all replies! Thanks
This is the sort of muddle that happens with a mix of BA codeshares and AA primaries. You may have to call and see if an agent can do the upgrade requests if using the AA PNR doesn't allow you to do it. AA may offer you an upgrade for cash (typically $500) at the airport (you may have to ask). It will not bring any extra earnings unlike the BA cash upgrades.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Hopefully someone will be able to help with this question. Apologies if it has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer...

I am travelling from LAS to MAN in October. First time TATL with AA, and in coach too - so it will be a bit of a shock

Routing is LAS - PHX - ORD - MAN - ORD - LAS with the PHX - ORD - MAN sectors booked as BA codeshares. Everything else is AA flight numbers, and all flights are operated by AA.

I have three separate PNRs - one shows all five sectors but the two BA codeshares are effectively greyed out (so I can't click to change seat assignments for example). I have a BA record locator for the two codeshare flights but this simply redirects me to another AA record locator and this 3rd record locator contains just the PHX - ORD - MAN sectors but with the AA flight numbers.

I am AA Platinum through a corporate challenge and have 12 stickers available to me as part of the challenge. However, none of the flights can be upgraded. I know that I can't upgrade the ORD - MAN - ORD sectors using stickers, but I had assumed that I would still be able to upgrade the domestic sectors. Is this not the case and the EU destination effectively nullifies any upgrades? Can I ask to be added to the upgrade list at the airport for the domestic sectors? Finally, for the international sectors, I assume that other than miles & taxes there's no other way to upgrade but that there is a slim possibility of a complimentary upgrade if the cabin is oversold?

Yes, as soon as a PNR has an international segment, it's flagged as an international trip and domestic upgrades are not allowed. You might be able to get an AAgent to split the PNR and apply the request. I doubt the GAs will be willing/able to make the change. Put it never hurts to ask.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:41 am

Hmm, that does sound a bit strange. You should be able to request an upgrade for LAS-PHX and ORD-LAS with no issues. The PHX-ORD flight is an issue because of the BA codeshare. You can ask at the airport to see if they can put you on the list, but I don't think they can do anything in advance. (But don't quote me on that last part.)

I would suggest calling and having an agent put in your upgrade requests for the 2 AA marketed flights.

(It shouldn't matter, but on who's ticket stock are you booked, AA or BA?)

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, as soon as a PNR has an international segment, it's flagged as an international trip and domestic upgrades are not allowed. You might be able to get an AAgent to split the PNR and apply the request. I doubt the GAs will be willing/able to make the change. Put it never hurts to ask.
This is unequivocally untrue. Having an international flight in your PNR doesn't change anything regarding the possibility to use 500 mile upgrades, it works the same as it would on a solely domestic itinerary. Unless it's a through flight, With an international and domestic component. In this case, MAN-ORD continues on to MCO, though, not LAS.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Djokison

I would suggest calling and having an agent put in your upgrade requests for the 2 AA marketed flights.

This is all ticketed on AA with a 001 ticket number.

Thanks to all who commented - really appreciate the help!
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Hmm, that does sound a bit strange. You should be able to request an upgrade for LAS-PHX and ORD-LAS with no issues. The PHX-ORD flight is an issue because of the BA codeshare. You can ask at the airport to see if they can put you on the list, but I don't think they can do anything in advance. (But don't quote me on that last part.)

This is unequivocally untrue. Having an international flight in your PNR doesn't change anything regarding the possibility to use 500 mile upgrades, it works the same as it would on a solely domestic itinerary. Unless it's a through flight, With an international and domestic component. In this case, MAN-ORD continues on to MCO, though, not LAS.
Agreed. I had an international with one domestic segment (DFW-TPA) at the end. I requested an e500 for it online, no splitting, and it cleared. I ended up not using it due to IROPS earlier in the itinerary, but still...
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:55 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
I have had more that one itinerary that proves this wrong.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by stc
When I flew last week and this week I wasn't even on the upgrade list for potential upgrades for the domestic segment.
Last week, the lounge agent told me, "there's already 7 EXP's waiting for 3 seats," and I was quickly dismissed.
This week the agent actually added me to the list, but I was #7, and they might have cleared 3.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Agreed. I had an international with one domestic segment (DFW-TPA) at the end. I requested an e500 for it online, no splitting, and it cleared. I ended up not using it due to IROPS earlier in the itinerary, but still...
Originally Posted by stc
AA does treat PNRs with international segments differently (i.e. doc check at beginning of trip not just international leg). Now you might have better luck when the domestic portion is the last leg(s) of the trip with the international flag dropping off once flown. Taking anecdotal experience and gospel will get you into trouble. Ask nicely and see what the GA is willing to do for you.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:59 pm

AA does treat PNRs with international segments differently (i.e. doc check at beginning of trip not just international leg). Now you might have better luck when the domestic portion is the last leg(s) of the trip with the international flag dropping off once flown. Taking anecdotal experience and gospel will get you into trouble. Ask nicely and see what the GA is willing to do for you.
Yes, they check your documents when you check it, I fail to see how that is at all related to upgrades. A total red herring.

You are literally the first person I've ever heard of saying that 500 mile upgrades are not possible on domestic portions of international itinerary, whereas it works for everyone else (though recently there does seem to be some trouble with the upgrade request moving to the airport list) and somehow that's anecdotal evidence? In my particular case, every AA PNR I fly involves an international flight, I've always been able to request an upgrades (and automatic, when I was EXP) on domestic flights. (Unless it's changed in the past couple of months, as I've been purchasing J.

Not to mention it would make 0 sense for AA to not allow 500-mile upgrades on PNRs that involve international flights. AA IT may be terrible, but it's not that terrible.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Taking anecdotal experience and gospel will get you into trouble.
True. But using anecdotal evidence as counter-examples to unequivocal statements, as applies here, is a different matter entirely.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Unless something has changed very recently, like in last two months, I as an EXP have routinely received comped upgrades on domestic legs of international itineraries, and also upgraded companions with stickers. No questions, no drama, simply based on availability and our position according to priority.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:08 am

If you requested an upgrade at the time of booking (i.e. February xx, 2016) and then voluntarily do a same day standby or same day confirmed flight change does the time stamp on the upgrade request stay the same as the originally ticketed flight (February xx, 2016) or does the time stamp change to the date that the confirmed standby ticket is requested (September xx, 2016)?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hi All,

I'm flying on the first flight of the 787-900 from DFW>LAX. As an EXP, I get complimentary and automatically requested upgrades. Usually, I love this. For this flight, I want to sit in the new premium economy cabin (marketed as MCE for now). How do I go about canceling the request for one leg? Do I just call the EXP desk? Can you stop just one leg but get the upgrades for the rest?

Thanks,

Mike
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by mikebrooklyn
Hi All,

I'm flying on the first flight of the 787-900 from DFW>LAX. As an EXP, I get complimentary and automatically requested upgrades. Usually, I love this. For this flight, I want to sit in the new premium economy cabin (marketed as MCE for now). How do I go about canceling the request for one leg? Do I just call the EXP desk? Can you stop just one leg but get the upgrades for the rest?

Thanks,

Mike
You can call the EXP desk and have them unrequest that specific segment.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:17 am
Original Member

Do 500 mile upgrades expire?

Do the AA 500-mile upgrades expire (either in the same year or some amount of time after deposited into your account if not used) ? Or do they stay there forever if not used?

And do the same rules apply to all, since you can earn them by flying or buy them from AA...?

Does not say on my upgrades page on AA.com if the upgrades in my account have an expiration date...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.