Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
All of those should be 2x EQMs then.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
The EQM counter for earning stickers does not reset Jan 1; it resets each membership year.

But that appears to be irrelevant in this case, except that it means OP has more time to earn the additional 7.5k EQM (or whatever the correct amount turns out to be) needed for the next set of stickers.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:57 am

Stickers & status

With recent changes here in the SE it has become more beneficial for me to shop lowest value for flights and give up my status with AA. In regards to stickers, will they disappear when I lose my status at the end of the year or do I keep them until their used up? Considering the UG list is based on level of status, my assumption is I would lose them. Even if retained my chances of an UG is basically nill. Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
Stickers remain in your account if you lose your status. You'd only be able to use them if traveling with an elite who requested upgrades, but they wouldn't expire otherwise. When/if you qualify for status at a later time, they'll still be there for you to use.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
AA "used" my 500 UPGD for oversold upgrade

Travelled MSP-MIA-CUN . In MSP gate agent called me to gate and said. "We had to move you up as I needed a seat in the back." Thanked me for my loyalty to AA. I thanked him for thinking of me. Well checking my balance the next day, and all my 500 updg show redeemed. I know that I did not place myself on the list. Anyone else have this happen? Does AA reinstate these after the fact?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by token385
Travelled MSP-MIA-CUN . In MSP gate agent called me to gate and said. "We had to move you up as I needed a seat in the back." Thanked me for my loyalty to AA. I thanked him for thinking of me. Well checking my balance the next day, and all my 500 updg show redeemed. I know that I did not place myself on the list. Anyone else have this happen? Does AA reinstate these after the fact?
So you lost 6 upgrades? Ouch.

I see a couple references to this happening in this thread, but it's not clear whether there was any resolution even attempted.

Can't hurt to give them a call. Good luck.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
Sounds like you got an op-up, in which case stickers shouldn't have been pulled. There's another thread covering op-ups and GAs (mainly LUS) upgrading people who didn't request them and then pulling stickers. Easily solved by calling AAdvantage CS and explaining the situation. Took ~10 minutes to get it resolved over the phone last time this happened to me.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by token385
Originally Posted by whatupbovice
Easily solved by calling AAdvantage CS and explaining the situation. Took ~10 minutes to get it resolved over the phone last time this happened to me.
I had this recently happen CLT-SEA with 5 stickers. I called in two days after the flight, and the nice rep said "Sorry, we are only authorized to give you half of the number of stickers you lost, which would be 3. To get the full amount, you need to email in." I used the web based form to contact AAdvantage service as recommended, and got no reply at all. After a month of nothing, I called again, and was again referred to use the web-based contact form. I used the web-based form to contact Customer Relations this time instead, and all 5 stickers were restored the next day.

Short answer, yes it happens, yes they can be restored, and "Customer Relations" on the web-based contact form seems to be the best option if the phone call doesn't work based on my experience.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Thank you all. I appreciate the answers.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I read the wiki and didn't see this answered.

Me: EP
Comp 1: Gold
Comp 2: Gold

I have a flight of around 900 miles.

I spoke EP service and was told I could only upgrade one of my companions and myself, and that doing so in advance would burn 2 500 mile upgrades for me, and 2 for my one companion.

Then she said something about an airport upgrade and I got confused.

What are my options to get all three of us upgraded, assuming I don't want to use a system wide? I'd like to use my stickers if I can.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Hi, UK based non-elite status (previously PLT) and i have 30 500m upgrades in my account. I joined BAEC earlier this year and still fly occasionally to US (3-4 times per annum). I'm almost at Gold (emerald) with BA. I dont forsee using my AAdvantage number anytime soon.

Q. is there anything sensible I can do with my 30 stickers? and please don't be rude!

Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:47 am

I just signed up for the Platinum challenge and was granted interim Gold during that time. I sort of remember reading somewhere that when you hit Platinum, AA gives you a certain amount of 500-milers but can't seem to find it anywhere.

The terms of the challenge state that I need 12.5k EQMs by mid-October. Am I only going to get the 4 stickers that comes with hitting 12.5 with Gold, or are there bonus stickers for reaching platinum?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by gilcresr
I just signed up for the Platinum challenge and was granted interim Gold during that time. I sort of remember reading somewhere that when you hit Platinum, AA gives you a certain amount of 500-milers but can't seem to find it anywhere.

The terms of the challenge state that I need 12.5k EQMs by mid-October. Am I only going to get the 4 stickers that comes with hitting 12.5 with Gold, or are there bonus stickers for reaching platinum?
No, no stickers just for hitting Platinum. Each 12.5k EQM you earn after you have status (including Gold) gets you 4 stickers.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Hi, UK based non-elite status (previously PLT) and i have 30 500m upgrades in my account. I joined BAEC earlier this year and still fly occasionally to US (3-4 times per annum). I'm almost at Gold (emerald) with BA. I dont forsee using my AAdvantage number anytime soon.

Q. is there anything sensible I can do with my 30 stickers?
I'm afraid not. You used to be able to use them (in theory) with no status if traveling on Y/B fares (which are typically more expensive than discount F anyway), but even that option is no more.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dingo
I read the wiki and didn't see this answered.

Me: EP
Comp 1: Gold
Comp 2: Gold

I have a flight of around 900 miles.

I spoke EP service and was told I could only upgrade one of my companions and myself, and that doing so in advance would burn 2 500 mile upgrades for me, and 2 for my one companion.

Then she said something about an airport upgrade and I got confused.

What are my options to get all three of us upgraded, assuming I don't want to use a system wide? I'd like to use my stickers if I can.
I do believe the AAgent was mistaken. Your upgrade should be complementary, however they were correct in that the T&Cs call for only one companion can be upgraded.

Yes, that is the rule. But I have found if you have a polite conversation with the GA and explain the situation they may be willing/able to work something out. Years ago I was on a business trip with a co-worker and his wife decided to join us mid-trip and fly back with us. I had already submitted the two of us for an upgrade and it cleared. When we got to the airport I approached the GA and explained how I wasn't willing to give up my seat for the wife and not interested in causing issue with the wife in Y. The GA hmm and hawed turning to the person next to him. Turned out it was his supervisor who overheard the discussion and said "if your willing to pay (with 500-mile upgrades), we'll take you money". And all three of us flew F, and infact even though we parted ways mid-trip, they were also in F to their final destination.

Moral of the story, act civil, be polite, and you just might get what you want. There are no guarantees and you might not find a GA that is willing to bend the rules, but the number of times you do just might outweigh those you don't. YMMV is always the rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.