FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

flyingeph12 Jul 26, 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by patriotPHL1 (Post 31346230)
excellent, thank you for all that info. will be great once AA has there calendar search feature up and running for more dynamic searching of the web special awards and being able to get those extra below 40k one way deals

You can still access the old calendar search function by doing an Advanced Search (follow the link below the big blue “Search” button).

mcgow87 Jul 28, 2019 6:44 am

On AA flights with WiFi, is it possible to track the flight you are on? As in, showing the planes path/location on a map. I know other airlines have it but I just can’t figure it out on AA.

flyingeph12 Jul 28, 2019 7:27 am

Originally Posted by mcgow87 (Post 31350770)
On AA flights with WiFi, is it possible to track the flight you are on? As in, showing the planes path/location on a map. I know other airlines have it but I just can’t figure it out on AA.

Yes, the home screen where you would log in to the internet has a map and bar showing the remaining time left in the flight.

Uncle Nonny Jul 28, 2019 12:47 pm

Looking for the most efficient long term parking for JFK Terminal 8. Not the primarily cheapest but the best in terms of ease, price, time and getting to and from T8. Thank you.

redtalun Jul 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Relatively new to FT and first time posting here in the AA lounge. Wasn't sure where to ask the following question:
I am trying to use AA miles to book a one-way return trip RMQ-HKG-EWR for my dad on Cathay Dragon / Cathay Pacific. The RMQ-HKG leg is giving me trouble - the award space exists, according to BA's award search, but when I call AA, their reps don't see the space and worse yet, tell me that the flight is ineligible for award redemptions. I suspect the reps are wrong, since the flight can be purchased with cash. Is this a HUCA situaton? Is there additional information I can present to the reps to make them more likely to find the award space?

flyingeph12 Jul 28, 2019 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by redtalun (Post 31352659)
Relatively new to FT and first time posting here in the AA lounge. Wasn't sure where to ask the following question:
I am trying to use AA miles to book a one-way return trip RMQ-HKG-EWR for my dad on Cathay Dragon / Cathay Pacific. The RMQ-HKG leg is giving me trouble - the award space exists, according to BA's award search, but when I call AA, their reps don't see the space and worse yet, tell me that the flight is ineligible for award redemptions. I suspect the reps are wrong, since the flight can be purchased with cash. Is this a HUCA situaton? Is there additional information I can present to the reps to make them more likely to find the award space?

There are various threads on booking partner awards with AA miles. The following is the CX-specific thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thd-27.html

Definitely hang up and try again. Cathay Dragon flights can be booked with AA miles. AA these days has made it more difficult to book by segment, as agents apparently have been told to search by origin and destination. There are also increasing issues with married segments now, and it seems that CX awards are not immune (see, e.g., post #1051 in the above-linked thread).

flyingeph12 Jul 28, 2019 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 31351665)
Looking for the most efficient long term parking for JFK Terminal 8. Not the primarily cheapest but the best in terms of ease, price, time and getting to and from T8. Thank you.

I am probably not the best person to answer this question, but my guess would be the Long-Term parking that is connected to the Lefferts Blvd. AirTrain station.

Where are you coming from that would require you to drive? If you're coming from Philly, I would consider Amtrak to Penn Station (1hr 20 min), LIRR to Jamaica (25 min), and then the AirTrain (10 min). Not sure driving would save you that much time.

Uncle Nonny Jul 28, 2019 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31352774)
I am probably not the best person to answer this question, but my guess would be the Long-Term parking that is connected to the Lefferts Blvd. AirTrain station.

Where are you coming from that would require you to drive? If you're coming from Philly, I would consider Amtrak to Penn Station (1hr 20 min), LIRR to Jamaica (25 min), and then the AirTrain (10 min). Not sure driving would save you that much time.

I am coming from the NW suburbs of Philly. Quite experienced with Amtrak but it'll be quicker to drive from where I am (back road it until I get to I-78 and traverse Jersey that way). Will be flying SIN-HEL-JFK on the return and will be in no mood to be waiting for trains or being around people (Penn Station!). The summer halt on PHL-JFK flights is a bummer. Thanks for your answer.

flyingeph12 Jul 28, 2019 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 31352817)
I am coming from the NW suburbs of Philly. Quite experienced with Amtrak but it'll be quicker to drive from where I am (back road it until I get to I-78 and traverse Jersey that way). Will be flying SIN-HEL-JFK on the return and will be in no mood to be waiting for trains or being around people (Penn Station!). The summer halt on PHL-JFK flights is a bummer. Thanks for your answer.

Fair enough. The Long-Term parking lot is right off of the Belt Pkwy, so that should be relatively convenient. Traffic on the Belt Pkwy, however, is another matter altogether.

flyingeph12 Jul 28, 2019 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny (Post 31352817)

You might find this thread helpful, including the linked thread within about street parking around Howard Beach station.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...m-parking.html

24.05.2004 Jul 29, 2019 1:08 pm

When do miles post?

Rarely fly AA these days so unfamiliar with some nuances:

Have purchased a ticket SJO-MIA-LAX. The fare permits a (freeeeeee) stopover in MIA.

So when do the miles/$/etc post? After the first segment or after the 3 week stopover?

TIA

JJeffrey Jul 29, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004 (Post 31355695)
Rarely fly AA these days so unfamiliar with some nuances:

Have purchased a ticket SJO-MIA-LAX. The fare permits a (freeeeeee) stopover in MIA.

So when do the miles/$/etc post? After the first segment or after the 3 week stopover?

TIA

Everything posts after each segment is flown.

24.05.2004 Jul 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31355744)
Everything posts after each segment is flown.

but... the fare is $1000 to LAX, free (!) stop in MIA. So there's really zero dollars on the first segment so zero miles on the first segment?

guv1976 Jul 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004 (Post 31355772)
but... the fare is $1000 to LAX, free (!) stop in MIA. So there's really zero dollars on the first segment so zero miles on the first segment?

I expect that each segment of your ticket has been allocated a portion of that $1,000 fare.

Matt Rich Jul 30, 2019 7:21 pm

So I have the Founders Card, which is giving a 3 month trial to Platinum status starting Aug 15.

I know I can probably get MCE free while being platinum, and maybe even an upgrade to F, but should I wait until then to buy the ticket?

Or is there no difference in buying a ticket now, versus after being platinum.?

The price now is very cheap.