Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Link to Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST.

MrAndy1369 originated this thread. Other posts in this topic have been merged here, throwing his post to #4. For members’ easy reference, we have reproduced that guidepost in its entirety. /Moderators

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Introduction
Welcome to the 2019 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on domestic service. Please post your meal/service experiences, including menus, photos, reports, questions, and service anecdotes.

To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include the route, time, and meal designation (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, refreshments, none). Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are rudimentary guidelines, but of course, the format/style is up to you.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected.

AA1: JFK-LAX: 3pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

(from here, share the menu and/or experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
Throwback mode? Go crazy! For the 2019 International Meals thread, click here.

Enjoy!
[COLOR="Navy"]Welcome to the 2019 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)
American Eagle flights do not offer pre-ordering of meals.

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.
  • Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

• At this time, pre-ordered meals are not available on American Eagle flights.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Thanks to MrAndy1369 for starting the thread and for the guidelines.
[COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by swimdallas
anyone with suggestions on these choices? i havent seen anyone talk about this Sandwich Wrap option before.
That sounds like the same wrap they give out for free in main cabin JFK-LAX/SFO and DFW-Hawaii. I’d avoid it if possible as a FC meal. The enchiladas are actually pretty good.

I think Jamie from TFC posted about these new wrap options but can’t remember why they’re replacing an entree salad which is the norm.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Deleted.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
DFW/YYZ MAR06 8pm.
AVML

overall great same as my recent avml experiences. Was hot but undercooked a bit, lentils & chickpeas both a bit toothsome
aeroman380 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I'm on an AE LAX-SEA flight departing at 8pm sharp. Will F be served dinner? AA site says so but not sure if that's correct. Meal window is between 459am and 8pm, so sure if 8pm counts.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
I'm on an AE LAX-SEA flight departing at 8pm sharp. Will F be served dinner? AA site says so but not sure if that's correct. Meal window is between 459am and 8pm, so sure if 8pm counts.
AA.com for that flight says "dinner", so you should expect a meal. Incidentally, the 7:59 p.m. SEA-LAX says "refreshments", which is odd given the LAX-SEA flight that departs one minute later says "dinner".

Los Angeles, CA to Seattle, WA
8:00 PM
11:06 PM
AA 6038 E75-Embraer RJ-175
Wi-Fi on-board
Operated by Compass Airlines As American Eagle
  • First
  • Meals: Dinner
  • Booking code: I
  • Class: First
atcanobbio likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
You should get a meal, but it will be cold since AE planes do not have ovens, get something in the terminal...
atcanobbio likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Don’t do diabetic meals out of LGA that’s for sure....they’re gross.
Anyone know how the diabetic meals are out of ORD for lunch?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by DFW1972
Anyone know how the diabetic meals are out of ORD for lunch?

Here's my Diabetic lunch from February 27, ORD-LAX:

Chicken breast that was moist and well-seasoned; corn grits; carrots (did not taste the gravy). Three generous-sized prawns. Salad had good texture. Did not touch the roll. The Woodford is a consistent winner.

Solid meal.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
Here's my Diabetic lunch from February 27, ORD-LAX:

Chicken breast that was moist and well-seasoned; corn grits; carrots (did not taste the gravy). Three generous-sized prawns. Salad had good texture. Did not touch the roll. The Woodford is a consistent winner.

Solid meal.
Thank you for posting that!
Looks like a winner, so I think I'l go with the diabetic meal for our ORD - DFW lunch.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by DFW1972
Thank you for posting that!
Looks like a winner, so I think I'l go with the diabetic meal for our ORD - DFW lunch.
After your flight, report back.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-MSP
E175
Lunch (earliest flight from LGA to MSP on a Monday is now is 253pm......really? Very uncompetitive but it worked for my schedule this time, especially knowing the upgrade was 100%

PDB of choice

Power outlet at seat but it was not working

Choice of tex mex chicken salad (had this before on mainline and it's prob the worst AA salad in a long time), or the curry chicken salad sandwich. The latter is pictured below. I removed the top bun and made it an open face sandwich as it was too much bread

Good service even with the usual E175 FC FA disappearing into the YC galley for a while......she was still very attentive to FC refills etc.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Mar 11, 2019 at 7:00 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LGA-MSP
Choice of tex mex chicken salad (had this before on mainline and it's prob the worst AA salad in a long time), or the curry chicken salad sandwich. The latter is pictured below. I removed the top bun and made it an open face sandwich as it was too much bread
I had this yesterday on PBI-LGA (also Eagle) and it was literally the most disgusting thing...weird cream cheese spread coupled with the curry chicken salad (not bad on its own) on a croissant...for dinner.

That said, I did order the DBML last week on LGA-DFW and it was the chicken with gravy and fairly decent, as was my lemon chicken from DFW-LGA last week as well.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by jcatman
After your flight, report back.
Will do.
Flight not until April 6th.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
@jcatman - that looks solid, but don't get my hopes up! I'm choosing diabetic lunch for my flight out of ORD in a couple weeks. Wish me luck!
DFW1972 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:12 pm
Suspended

MSP-LGA
E175 Republic
Dinner

No PDB at all

Choice of turkey and swiss sandwich or chicken salad (that's all that was given by our less than stellar FA that hid behind the galley curtain the entire flight when she wasn't in the aisle). I was not too hungry so just went with the salad. I really cannot tell what AA salad this is. It looked like the Italian or Greek salad but had goat cheese and small slices of pineapple, and quinoia??

I would choose the sandwich moving forward as it came with a side of a corn salad and it was on a nice thin bread.

Cheesecake was delish as always.

FC ran out of white wine after the first in-flight drink service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.