Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 2018 year in review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm unconvinced, as I have close to 120k BIS and didnt get a %.

leaning towards the data being BS or having something to do with helix ratings and PR .... or it was pulled 5 months ago and they processed old data.
I did 98k BIS on AA metal this year, and I also didn't have a % in my email. I see no reason to think that's meaningful in the slightest. You appear to be assuming that lack of the number in the email means their system thinks you're low; I think it just means they didn't include the number. Even a cursory glance at fanger's chart makes it pretty clear that the people who did get a % in their emails are getting consistent numbers.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by fanger
While at the same time it's not surprising that there may be a few glitches in individual calculations. I wonder what the causes of these glitches might be?

For those who don't appear to fit the pattern, is your status level changing next year? I wonder if that is it.

Awesome work fanger! As I mentioned just above the relationship is really obvious. There's some bunching because AA is rounding to the nearest halfway-round-the-world, but that's to be expected. I think bpauker's outlier is likely related to his large fraction of partner J travel; AA probably doesn't get accurate BIS numbers from MH and that's messing things up. Lavezzi's situation is harder to figure, simply because he didn't tell us anything about his flying. I would figure those two are flukes and just leave them out of the set to do a best fit line.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Lavezzi
2x round the world but in the top 2% of EXPs. Nice work, data team.
Can you give us any more information about your flying this year? Any partner travel? Long flights credited by distance (special fares or reticketing stuff, etc.)? Do you know your BIS for the year?

You're definitely right that the numbers in your email don't make sense. But per fanger's chart it's pretty clear that's a rarity.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Top 6% of EXP

311 hours in the sky.
5.5 times flown around the world.
NYC, LA, SFO.
AirbusA321
109,996 bonus miles.
25+ upg
$1785
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I wonder if AA can figure out who individual posters are when we post this info?
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I wonder if AA can figure out who individual posters are when we post this info?
I mean, theres plenty of other threads with PII for someone with all your travel details. I posted on the J0 thread that I was on AA 1152, for example. AA could find EXP pax on that flight and identify me immediately.

however, I'm confident they have better things to do
Science Goy and HLCinCOU like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
I think this indicates a misunderstanding of what drives CK invites. The 1% of EXP appears to be about BIS miles. Higher BIS miles are actually a negative for CK status; what they're looking for is lots of spend with little flying. In other words, profit.
Understood. But I still had about $60k spend, and most of it was on business fares (granted that some of it was somewhat cheap business to Asia since that’s where a lot of my travel took me to this year).
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Just got the requal email... Wonder if I'll still get one of these.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by razzaba
Understood. But I still had about $60k spend, and most of it was on business fares (granted that some of it was somewhat cheap business to Asia since that’s where a lot of my travel took me to this year).
This all fits pretty well with my read of the big CK invite thread. There are folks in there getting invites with less than 60k spend...but not if they're in the top 1% of EXP by BIS.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:54 pm

I mean, theres plenty of other threads with PII for someone with all your travel details. I posted on the J0 thread that I was on AA 1152, for example. AA could find EXP pax on that flight and identify me immediately.

Hehe, yeah, my sig links would give me away to AA and several other organizations instantly. Reckon I'll just have to live with that, somehow.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Yep - and unless you were openly brokering miles or similar on here, they'd really have no reason to care.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:15 am

I'm an outlier! (or working too hard to retain EP using EQM/BIS)

Originally Posted by fanger
While at the same time it's not surprising that there may be a few glitches in individual calculations. I wonder what the causes of these glitches might be?

For those who don't appear to fit the pattern, is your status level changing next year? I wonder if that is it.

193 hours in the sky
3.5 times flown around the world
19 destinations visited
Phoenix, Las Vegas, Kansas City most visited destinations (Phoenix is home airport)
Los Angeles - Hong Kong (7,260 miles) furthest flight taken
Airbus A321 type of aircraft most flown
Top 4% rank among Executive Platinum members (based on miles flown)
57,607 bonus miles from elite status
123,031 award miles earned without flying
35+ upgrades received
$120 checked bag savings

For reference, I am currently EP, and will have EP next year. Here are my ytd numbers:

One last flight scheduled for next weekend ($200ish EQD) and 1,200 EQMs to requalify for EP. I earned $6K EQD and 10K EQM from Barclays. I only buy (discount) economy tickets (read: not basic economy), and never buy J/F. One round trip flight (JFK-LHR) was on BA metal in PE for the EQM multiplier.

Another data point - I added up my YTD million miles from AA's website. I have 75,606 BIS miles this year with the last flight pending.

Last edited by tbone14; Dec 23, 2018 at 4:47 am Reason: BIS data
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
My statement says I was in the top 1% of amount of time waiting for bag delivery at PHL with 113 hours spent waiting. Also.... averaged 2nd to last bag delivered despite orange priority tag.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
My statement says I was in the top 1% of amount of time waiting for bag delivery at PHL with 113 hours spent waiting. Also.... averaged 2nd to last bag delivered despite orange priority tag.
They really are terrible. I check bags rarely, but on the few occasions that i have, they have been awful. I spent ~80 minutes waiting on bags for one flight this year (traveling with muggles.)

My flight back from LHR a couple weeks ago (BA metal) i was pleased to see that i got my bag < 30 minutes from touch-down. Gated, offloaded, cleared through immigration (GE) and had a bag..... so now i wonder, is it really PHL, or is it AA in PHL.
Uncle Nonny likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tbone14
193 hours in the sky
Top 4% rank among Executive Platinum members (based on miles flown)

Another data point - I added up my YTD million miles from AA's website. I have 75,606 BIS miles this year with the last flight pending.
That is really shocking, I know I am low for BIS miles for an EP, but if 75K makes you top 4%???
I went back and looked at my year, I flew no further than DFW (From PHL) in Y (Paid). With the exception of HKG RT was with SWU's (at time of booking).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.