Search

AA 2018 year in review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP / CK June 2018 (4MM - 15 years running) HH Lifetime Diamond
288 Hours
6 times around the world.
22 destinations.
Dallas/Edinburgh/Los Angeles Most Frequent (DFW is home)
LAX/SYD- Longest
Airbus A321 (a little surprising)
Top 4% CK based on miles. (226,655 EQMS and $50,799 Spend) on 85 Segments.)

did not take DFW/SAN and DFW/ORD and DFW/BOS in last month- due to a family illness. or it coulda been worse. (better?)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA PPro
65 hours in the sky
3 times around the world
6 destinations (!! Not sure what's being excluded and why)

Odd the wouldn't include partner airlines in one stat and do in another. Would be nice to make it around the world 3 times in 65 hours
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA CK 3MM, SPG-Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt Gold
256 hours in the sky
7 times around the world
Top 2% CK
Longest flight: DFW-HKG

Looking forward to 2019!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Just finished up the year

122 segments

82,140 EQM

$28,839 EQD

According to my year end summary

13 destinations

most popular destinations are Chicago, New York & Pittsburgh

most common aircraft flown is A-319

i was upgraded 81 times
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by dave_261
Regardless of actual miles or EQM... you know a CK who has 50K EQM (which is just getting into PLT territory), and is in the top 19% of CK.

That makes zero sense to me, unless literally 3/4 of the CK members are 1) travel influencers who really don't fly all that much, or 2) corporate execs at big AA customers who fly private or other airlines but have CK 'just in case'.

With probably just a few exceptions, any 'earned' CK members are pulling at least 150K EQM's, and likely 200K+ is really the starting point.
I should clarify that this person isn't renewed for CK. His flying dropped off precipitously right after he got CK (from premium international travel and/or corporate referral).

However, I do think that most CK did get the status in some way other than flying (e.g., corporate travel manager, C suite or VP at large corporate customer, etc.). I know it is anecdotal, but I've run across several CK who obviously don't fly AA much (and I might even say don't fly much at all). And there is my favorite, the guy who didn't know he was CK or what that was, and a GA had to explain to him. He's an outlier, but CK who don't travel much are not uncommon .
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fanger
While at the same time it's not surprising that there may be a few glitches in individual calculations. I wonder what the causes of these glitches might be?

For those who don't appear to fit the pattern, is your status level changing next year? I wonder if that is it.

I'm unconvinced, as I have close to 120k BIS and didnt get a %.

leaning towards the data being BS or having something to do with helix ratings and PR .... or it was pulled 5 months ago and they processed old data.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
The data points comparing CK and EXP percentiles do seem to clearly suggest that EXPs as a population average more BIS than CK.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
The data points comparing CK and EXP percentiles do seem to clearly suggest that EXPs as a population average more BIS than CK.
Actually the data points suggest that either: a) AA sucks at data and there's little/no validity to the %'s they sent b) AA intentionally sent misleading data to obfuscate the number of flyers in each groups while making some customers feel special (your in the top <xx>% of flyers) and simultaneously not expose proritarty data about how many people were in each group.

Personally I'm betting on a)
IAHtraveler likes this.

Last edited by ryan182; Dec 22, 2018 at 2:14 am
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ryan182
Actually the data points suggest that either: a) AA sucks at data and there's little/no validity to the %'s they sent b) AA intentionally sent misleading data to obfuscate the number of flyers in each groups while making some customers feel special (your in the top <xx>% of flyers) and simultaneously not expose proritarty data about how many people were in each group.

I agree. This looks way more like a marketing person had a harebrained idea and sent it out, with no concept of how data actually works.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
71 hrs in the air
1.5x round the world
8 destinations
Los Angeles to Sydney longest flight (7488 miles)
A321 most frequent flown
$50 saved in baggage fees

no sign of my 1 for 14 on upgrades.

the mail was received before I took the LAX-LHR flight on Thursday, so that will have added another 10hrs and 5500 miles to my totals.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:37 am
jab

Programs: EXP AA, PLT Marriott
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm unconvinced, as I have close to 120k BIS and didnt get a %.

leaning towards the data being BS or having something to do with helix ratings and PR .... or it was pulled 5 months ago and they processed old data.
Wondering if AA did not send the percentage to those above 25? I did 80+K of my BIS miles between September and the middle of November.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ryan182

Agree with a). The * states that it includes oneworld data while my flight hours and destinations are clearly excluding OW data....
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
First, let us please have a moment of silence for the 103 brave EXPs immolated this year after completing their flights to the sun.

Now then:

231 hours in the sky
4 times around the world
17 destinations
COU/ATL/LAX most visited
November 12 requal
103,238 bonus miles from status
MorganB likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by razzaba
Top 1% of EXP (but no CK invite?!?!)
I think this indicates a misunderstanding of what drives CK invites. The 1% of EXP appears to be about BIS miles. Higher BIS miles are actually a negative for CK status; what they're looking for is lots of spend with little flying. In other words, profit.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Mine and yours don't jive:
280 hours
4.5x around the world
Top 17% of ExPlat with 137k EQM so far so 2x your mileage but the same % 🤔

My most exciting stat is $17k in bag savings so far 😂
They jive just fine, given PandaSoPink is at 17% PLT and you are 17% EXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.