Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best strategy to use miles to fly J award to Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond

Hello,
I'm looking to burn some miles to Europe sometime late summer. The problem I'm running into is the taxes and fees. I can get First (IAD-VCE) for 85k (each way) miles on BA but then the fees are $1,700 per person which defeats the whole purpose. I've paid $300-$400 in fees before to LHR on VS but this seems excessive. I'm fine flying AA metal but can never seem to find anything. I'm sure this has been discussed but I didn't see a sticky and a brief search wasn't helpful. I guess what I need to do is completely rule out BA and try to see if I can get reasonably priced AA flights. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Hello,
I'm looking to burn some miles to Europe sometime late summer. The problem I'm running into is the taxes and fees. I can get First (IAD-VCE) for 85k (each way) miles on BA but then the fees are $1,700 per person which defeats the whole purpose. I've paid $300-$400 in fees before to LHR on VS but this seems excessive. I'm fine flying AA metal but can never seem to find anything. I'm sure this has been discussed but I didn't see a sticky and a brief search wasn't helpful. I guess what I need to do is completely rule out BA and try to see if I can get reasonably priced AA flights. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!
Just avoid BA for the longhaul segment and your taxes/fees are much, much less. Easier said than done unfortunately. This comes up about once a week, here are a few threads you can review...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Help with AA [award] flights to Europe (to merge)

Award flights to LHR all on BA metal

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Hello,
Thanks!
The BA YQ is high on the transatlantic portion. You might want to look at using AA to get to LHR and going on to VCE on BA. And don’t forget AA serves VCE from ORD and PHL nonstop. And Iberia from MAD, etc.

See

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

and

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JDiver
You might want to look at using AA to get to LHR
That's the biggest hurdle by far. Once you get that intra-europe saver J are very numerous to just about everywhere from LHR.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Expertflyer

To add:

You are a little far out to find Saver inventory for late summer Europe/Italy.

As point of reference, we're remodeling a house in Italy and I returned from a visit in mid-October. My wife and I figured the next visit we would need to make to review progress was late February so I searched for flights from East Coast to Italy (BLQ, PSA, MXP, MIL, VCE,FCO) in late October. I found Saver inventory PHL-JFK-MXP and used a BX6B Business Extra Award for my wife (RT), bought a discounted Y fare for me and upgraded them with miles and $'s. All this within a day of when I started to look. Expertflyer let me look at weeks and destinations quickly and identified what options were out there.

It also helps to realize that sometimes point-to-point won't have inventory (ie JFK-MXP shows U0 C0 but PHL-JFK-MXP show U4 C2). Be creative about where you start, etc.

Last edited by JMN57; Dec 12, 2018 at 8:44 pm Reason: Add some more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.