Wiki Posts
Search

Award flights to LHR all on BA metal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Sky Miles | Marriott Bonvoy | Radisson Int'l Rewards
Award flights to LHR all on BA metal

Looking to fly RT IAH > LHR for 75th of D-Day (eurostar into France). All of the award flights I'm seeing are routing through BA flights across the pond. Of course this means 600-800 in "fees".

Looking at flying Business Class Saver @ 57,5K each way but can't find any AA metal to get to LHR on unless I go Anytime. Any chance these can change in the near future?

Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by nocigar
Looking to fly RT IAH > LHR for 75th of D-Day (eurostar into France). All of the award flights I'm seeing are routing through BA flights across the pond. Of course this means 600-800 in "fees".

Looking at flying Business Class Saver @ 57,5K each way but can't find any AA metal to get to LHR on unless I go Anytime. Any chance these can change in the near future?

Thanks!
Not likely, no.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me

Thanks!
Until life is found on another planet, LHR is one of my least favourite airports in the universe. Rapacious faux fuel charges (on awards), terminal changes, jumped up jobsworthy's who make TSA look like the Four Seasons, etc.

Unless you absolutely, positively HAVE to be in the UK, may I gently suggest that, since you appear to be unafraid of rail, look for other European points to fly into, and train to Paris. Thalys from Brussels is just as good as Eurostar, and and TGV is quite fine anytime. On our only AA DFW-CDG-DFW of 2019 (in August for a wedding), MrsDallas49er and I are flying into BRU, Thalys to Paris and 2 weeks later, train to MAD and MAD-DFW. (Routing to use almost worthless SWU's)

As an aside, a friend and I just spent 10 days doing D-day in Normandy, in August. PM me if you would like some helpful hints on Normandy, D-Day must sees, how much time to spend where, etc.
krakendown, JDiver and HMPS like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Isnt it amazing, that with AA have quite a lot of flights to LHR and many cities, you will never find a saver award in business , but you
will always find it on BA..
sorry its always been the problem. suggestion you try airports in Europe and take a train.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Given a choice between AA awards (no fees) and BA awards (fees), the 100+ million AAdvantage members will almost always take AA metal. That's the basis behind the OP seeing no AA but some (lots?) of BA.

Set ExpertFlyer alerts for AA flights to LHR if flying into Paris or Brussels doesn't appeal.
HMPS likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Given a choice between AA awards (no fees) and BA awards (fees), the 100+ million AAdvantage members will almost always take AA metal. That's the basis behind the OP seeing no AA but some (lots?) of BA.

Set ExpertFlyer alerts for AA flights to LHR if flying into Paris or Brussels doesn't appeal.
Exactly . I don't even consider BA's availability as a reward, period. It's a miles + $$ ticket. There is nothing "reward" about it whatsoever.
fotographer, HMPS and Beltway2A like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Maybe it is Stockholm syndrome but I have come to view the BA fees/fines/etc as the price of near surety for premium class award availability TATL.
jtav559 and reeg2 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Expert Flyer is your friend. I've had decent luck getting AA saver awards to LHR the last 2 years but they come and go quick. In my last trip in October, some availability opened up the week before. My tickets were booked in January and March, so it seems like it's either WAY in advance, or last minute.

Flexibility on dates helps too. I usually set alerts from the AA hubs DFW/LAX/CLT/ORD-LHR and let that search out, and then worry about your IAH-HUB flight later.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very unlikely. More demand than award capacity. As above consider another city. Fixed dates, departure city & destination restrict your options a lot.

BA IB.----> Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia) (master thread)

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:31 pm
In memoriam

I agree with other posters. Probably no more than a few dozen (if that many) AA Savers to LHR in a year! Last month my wife and I flew two seats AA81 Business Saver (77W LHR to DFW) and F DFW to SAN. I purchased the tickets close to a year in advance and was so surprised to find the flight that I stayed an extra two days in Malta just to be able to revel in the find. [Never saw anything close, checking very often throughout the year.}

By the way, I was born on the day after D-Day, June 7, 1944 and my name is Norman (believe it or not, just a coincidence).
krakendown and enpremiere like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by normcpa
I agree with other posters. Probably no more than a few dozen (if that many) AA Savers to LHR in a year! Last month my wife and I flew two seats AA81 Business Saver (77W LHR to DFW) and F DFW to SAN. I purchased the tickets close to a year in advance and was so surprised to find the flight that I stayed an extra two days in Malta just to be able to revel in the find. [Never saw anything close, checking very often throughout the year.}

By the way, I was born on the day after D-Day, June 7, 1944 and my name is Norman (believe it or not, just a coincidence).
Maybe that is why they named you Norman
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Until life is found on another planet, LHR is one of my least favourite airports in the universe. Rapacious faux fuel charges (on awards), terminal changes, jumped up jobsworthy's who make TSA look like the Four Seasons, etc.

Unless you absolutely, positively HAVE to be in the UK, may I gently suggest that, since you appear to be unafraid of rail, look for other European points to fly into, and train to Paris. Thalys from Brussels is just as good as Eurostar, and and TGV is quite fine anytime. On our only AA DFW-CDG-DFW of 2019 (in August for a wedding), MrsDallas49er and I are flying into BRU, Thalys to Paris and 2 weeks later, train to MAD and MAD-DFW. (Routing to use almost worthless SWU's)

As an aside, a friend and I just spent 10 days doing D-day in Normandy, in August. PM me if you would like some helpful hints on Normandy, D-Day must sees, how much time to spend where, etc.
I had BRU or LUX in mind but was really wanting to do a couple of days in London to sight see. LUX is attractive as it would be closer to Bastogne/Foy.

I will PM you this evening sir. Thanks!

About Expert Flyer....

1) I would theoretically watch for flights from the HUBs to LHR (all possible flight no.s) for the fare that is basically a business class saaver?

2) How do I locate this fare class? I know I had seen it somewhere but can't recall it.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 26, 2018 at 3:12 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Yes, set up an alert for each XXX-LHR flight by flight #. It will give you the fare class in EF when you log in, just check the one for biz saver.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Expert Flyer is your friend. I've had decent luck getting AA saver awards to LHR the last 2 years but they come and go quick. In my last trip in October, some availability opened up the week before. My tickets were booked in January and March, so it seems like it's either WAY in advance, or last minute.

Flexibility on dates helps too. I usually set alerts from the AA hubs DFW/LAX/CLT/ORD-LHR and let that search out, and then worry about your IAH-HUB flight later.
Don't forget PHL/MIA/RDU-LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.