Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Antarius
Could it have been a Weight and Balance issue?
Given the aircraft, this seems like a very logical answer. If I could mark this as the "most likely to make sense, the GA wasn't out to get you" post in this thread I would.
secretbunnyboy likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
They have to lie as nobody takes their rules seriously. Some think rules are optional choices
Some FAs also think rules are optional. I was recently on flying on 32B and my neighbor in the exit row was using laptop on take off and landing in a full view of FA who was sitting in 2R jump seat. And on the flight back FAs forgot to lower the partition on 789 between PE and Y on landing. Maybe they need to install a sensor for that as well
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Could it have been a Weight and Balance issue?
No, because the passengers weight includes their carry on anyways. It's just another saying to get passengers to start checking their bags without taking a delay at the bottom of the jet bridge. It's really annoying when you get on the plane and see the bins only 1/2 to 2/3 full. AA seems to be the biggest instigator of making up when the bins are full. I totally get avoiding the delays and the chaos that is getting the flight out with hoards of pax at the bottom of the jet bridge and people coming forward with their bag that doesn't fit. Delta had the bright idea of putting a bag tagger at the bottom of the jet bridge for this very reason. Either way there has to be a better way. Southwest almost never has this problem because of their free checked bags. Doubt the US Big 3 would consider doing that though. Sometimes you'll see the forward FA step off the aircraft to call the GA on the jet bridge phone to tell them to start checking. But this can only be done if the plane has an extra FA on board and can legally step off as FA's by law cannot step off the aircraft with passengers on board.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
I heard a GA make an announcement about a month ago (I think in CLT) how AA utilizes an "algorithm" that determines when overhead will probably be filled. He went on to say once the alert comes through, all bags will need to be checked. Actually sounds like a good application, just wonder how accurate it is.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
I heard a GA make an announcement about a month ago (I think in CLT) how AA utilizes an "algorithm" that determines when overhead will probably be filled. He went on to say once the alert comes through, all bags will need to be checked. Actually sounds like a good application, just wonder how accurate it is.
Pretty much as accurate as flipping a coin. Were they to actually be counting bags when you scanned the boarding pass, it would be more reasonable, expect you have room for X bags, get to X, start checking. But the claim will be it's based on how many spent at the counter to check a bag, and guess the rest still have a bag. That's why they have tried to say, we need to get 17 bags checked, but that number was probably pulled out of thin air as well.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
Because they're going for great!

In all seriousness, I think they do this because some bean counter efficiency consultant realized causing passengers to check in bags speeds up the boarding process.
But not enough efficiency to return to allowing complimentary checked bags.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
But not enough efficiency to return to allowing complimentary checked bags.
complimentary checked bags won’t solve the problem. They complimentary check at the gate for every flight. People don’t want to check it and wait for it after arrival. You can’t pay me to check a bag especially if I’m connecting. they can loose it or delay it. Also you don’t really have stand by flexibility once you have it checked.
Plus they make a lot of money from it. I’d rather AA charge for bags instead of passing that cost to everyone.
Solution here is to have larger overhead bins.
There are never problems on dreamliners or 777. Enough space for everyone to stow their carry on
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
According to an AA gate agent's post I saw in another forum, this is accurate to the extent of it simply keeps tally of how many pax BP's have been scanned, and each plane model has a defined threshold for when to show that alert. Smaller planes show it sooner than larger planes. I suppose that meets the definition of algorithm, but that makes it sounds like it's a lot more advanced than it is IMO
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, they have Flagship aircraft, maybe they have Sensorship aircraft...
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
When ATL-ORD was all E175s, the ATL gate staff were very strict about counting larger carry on bags as passengers got on the plane. They claimed to only have room for 24 (or maybe it was 26) of them on the plane, and after that anything that couldn't obviously fit under the seat was going to get tagged.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Yes ... it's the same sensor that alerts the FA when the pax from row 40, sits in seat 4E. Easy to confuse ... they do kind of sound alike.
That sensor is only activated on the LIT-NRT nonstop.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by gateH15

Solution though unpopular is to charge more for overhead bins than for checking a carry-on sized bag (without affecting rules for checking larger bags). Those of us who value time will pay the fee to be able to carry on instead of checking -- an easy system would be electronic payment such that when BP is scanned, device at gate spits out a different colored/numbered/lettered sticker to be applied to the carry on (for easy enforcement onboard). Charge $30 to carry on, $15 to check. All the basic economy folks will happy wait pre-flight and post-flight to check and retrieve baggage to save $15. Boarding would be easy because there would be space. Resources would be allocated to a more efficient use. And on and on.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:36 pm

I’ve never seen how gate check work on AA as I always try to board early when my group is called:
do they tag your bag at the gate and you bring it down the jet bridge and drop it? Or do you leave it at the podium?
I have a big duffel bag and it’s easier to find a spot for it. I’m always wondering what would happen if I just removed the tag and brought it on board instead of leaving it by the aircraft door.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's just a humorous device to get your attention. Along with the "seat-belt indicator panel" and the "cell phone detector". I suppose there might be one or two passengers who actually believe such things exist, but the vast majority will recognize it's just a joke. Lighten up folks.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by gateH15

complimentary checked bags won’t solve the problem. They complimentary check at the gate for every flight. People don’t want to check it and wait for it after arrival. You can’t pay me to check a bag especially if I’m connecting. they can loose it or delay it. Also you don’t really have stand by flexibility once you have it checked.
Plus they make a lot of money from it. I’d rather AA charge for bags instead of passing that cost to everyone.
There are never problems on dreamliners or 777. Enough space for everyone to stow their carry on
I think a factor in Dreamliners and 777s having enough bin space is also that most passengers are allowed complimentary checked bags. Boeing SpaceBins are an improvement and they're doing everything they can to make the most of it and it's still not enough when 3 bags fit where we need 5 or 6. Look at the check-in queues for Southwest and you'll find plenty of people have no qualms checking bags. I'm among those that prefer checking them. Even with TSAPre I dislike wandering the terminal with luggage and having to make sure I board with my group to ensure there is a place for it - because by the time I get to the gate the complimentary bag check is no longer valuable to me. The worst of both worlds is when you get up to a CRJ and need to do a planeside drop, waiting for it at the jetbridge or on the tarmac.

And I do want to be Devil's Advocate to "I’d rather AA charge for bags instead of passing that cost to everyone." That sort of attitude is how we end up with Allegient and Spirit (and now UA) charging for overhead bin space, too. Luggage is a part of travel and IMO should be part of the ticket.
ashill likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
I think a factor in Dreamliners and 777s having enough bin space is also that most passengers are allowed complimentary checked bags. Boeing SpaceBins are an improvement and they're doing everything they can to make the most of it and it's still not enough when 3 bags fit where we need 5 or 6. Look at the check-in queues for Southwest and you'll find plenty of people have no qualms checking bags. I'm among those that prefer checking them. Even with TSAPre I dislike wandering the terminal with luggage and having to make sure I board with my group to ensure there is a place for it - because by the time I get to the gate the complimentary bag check is no longer valuable to me. The worst of both worlds is when you get up to a CRJ and need to do a planeside drop, waiting for it at the jetbridge or on the tarmac.

And I do want to be Devil's Advocate to "I’d rather AA charge for bags instead of passing that cost to everyone." That sort of attitude is how we end up with Allegient and Spirit (and now UA) charging for overhead bin space, too. Luggage is a part of travel and IMO should be part of the ticket.
you have valid points. I was talking about 787 on domestic runs. I’m not sure if it’s enough space for everyone or not but I definitely saw some bins being empty after door was closed most of the time.
I guess checking a bag or not is a personal preference. Even when i check the luggage on international trips I still have a full size carry on where I put more expensive clothes that I don’t want to get lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.