Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
Angry Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA

AA LGA to BOS on a ERJ-190. GA gets on the mic and states "we have received an electronic alert that the overheads bins are full." This turns out to be a lie because once boarded, the bins in the back have loads of space.

They then start a spiel about how all carry-ons that appear close to the size limit must be "measured in the FAA regulated baggage bins" Another lie - the airlines regulate size.

They do bust a few people whose bags are too big as a carry on. But why must they lie? We departed one minute short of our scheduled time.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Because they're going for great!

In all seriousness, I think they do this because some bean counter efficiency consultant realized causing passengers to check in bags speeds up the boarding process.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Cue Song by Kenny Chesney:

"You had me from LGA"
morrisunc and twa777 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
Because they're going for great!

In all seriousness, I think they do this because some bean counter efficiency consultant realized causing passengers to check in bags speeds up the boarding process.
That is no excuse for lying about having sensors.
enviroian likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:43 pm

The sensors were installed to detect whether any phones are not in flight mode. Detecting luggage works using the same frequency bands (obviously, duh) so the sensors can do double duty.
T2A, samm, upinthe and 5 others like this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Dec 7, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you want to play junior leagle beagle, it is true that the carrier sets the maximum carry-on dimension. But, the carrier then files that with the FAA as part of its safety & security policy and a violation of that policy then becomes the basis for an FAA enforcement action, e.g. a fine.

So, if you want a lengthy legal explanation at the gate, perhaps including the CFR cites, you are correct. But, if you want to know whether bringing a scammer bag onboard may result in a fine by FAA, then you have it in plain English.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I just want to know more about these magical sensors!
SiempreBCNJFK likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Sort of like the please check your bag as this flight is extremely full.

Me: funny ... when I looked at EF, a few minutes ago, it was F7, Y7 with 7's for every fare categegory
Me: And ... there are only 12 people at the gate
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by wds17
Lies at LGA
Gack!! What's next - reports of rude service in Philly?
Tanic, Gerbs, TSparky and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by wds17
AA LGA to BOS on a ERJ-190. GA gets on the mic and states "we have received an electronic alert that the overheads bins are full." This turns out to be a lie because once boarded, the bins in the back have loads of space.

They then start a spiel about how all carry-ons that appear close to the size limit must be "measured in the FAA regulated baggage bins" Another lie - the airlines regulate size.

They do bust a few people whose bags are too big as a carry on. But why must they lie? We departed one minute short of our scheduled time.
do sensors alert flight attendants when passenger from seat 99B puts their bag in FC/MCE bin?
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by gateH15

do sensors alert flight attendants when passenger from seat 99B puts their bag in FC/MCE bin?
Yes ... it's the same sensor that alerts the FA when the pax from row 40, sits in seat 4E. Easy to confuse ... they do kind of sound alike.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
But did you receive an exclusive offer on your flight only for their American Airlines credit card?

It's a culture of lies...
samm likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
They have to lie as nobody takes their rules seriously. Some think rules are optional choices
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
But did you receive an exclusive offer on your flight only for their American Airlines credit card?

It's a culture of lies...
Those offers are only made because passengers have been asking the flight attendants if its available
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Could it have been a Weight and Balance issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.