FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1944534-lies-about-overhead-bins-capacity-lga.html)

wds17 Dec 7, 2018 12:23 pm

Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA

AA LGA to BOS on a ERJ-190. GA gets on the mic and states "we have received an electronic alert that the overheads bins are full." This turns out to be a lie because once boarded, the bins in the back have loads of space.

They then start a spiel about how all carry-ons that appear close to the size limit must be "measured in the FAA regulated baggage bins" Another lie - the airlines regulate size.

They do bust a few people whose bags are too big as a carry on. But why must they lie? We departed one minute short of our scheduled time.

SiempreBCNJFK Dec 7, 2018 12:36 pm

Because they're going for great!

In all seriousness, I think they do this because some bean counter efficiency consultant realized causing passengers to check in bags speeds up the boarding process.

enpremiere Dec 7, 2018 12:41 pm

Cue Song by Kenny Chesney:

"You had me from LGA"

mvoight Dec 7, 2018 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK (Post 30509891)
Because they're going for great!

In all seriousness, I think they do this because some bean counter efficiency consultant realized causing passengers to check in bags speeds up the boarding process.

That is no excuse for lying about having sensors.

SeeBuyFly Dec 7, 2018 12:43 pm

The sensors were installed to detect whether any phones are not in flight mode. Detecting luggage works using the same frequency bands (obviously, duh) so the sensors can do double duty.

Often1 Dec 7, 2018 12:50 pm

If you want to play junior leagle beagle, it is true that the carrier sets the maximum carry-on dimension. But, the carrier then files that with the FAA as part of its safety & security policy and a violation of that policy then becomes the basis for an FAA enforcement action, e.g. a fine.

So, if you want a lengthy legal explanation at the gate, perhaps including the CFR cites, you are correct. But, if you want to know whether bringing a scammer bag onboard may result in a fine by FAA, then you have it in plain English.

enpremiere Dec 7, 2018 12:52 pm

I just want to know more about these magical sensors!

C17PSGR Dec 7, 2018 1:03 pm

Sort of like the please check your bag as this flight is extremely full.

Me: funny ... when I looked at EF, a few minutes ago, it was F7, Y7 with 7's for every fare categegory
Me: And ... there are only 12 people at the gate

CPRich Dec 7, 2018 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by wds17 (Post 30509837)
Lies at LGA

Gack!! What's next - reports of rude service in Philly?

gateH15 Dec 7, 2018 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by wds17 (Post 30509837)
AA LGA to BOS on a ERJ-190. GA gets on the mic and states "we have received an electronic alert that the overheads bins are full." This turns out to be a lie because once boarded, the bins in the back have loads of space.

They then start a spiel about how all carry-ons that appear close to the size limit must be "measured in the FAA regulated baggage bins" Another lie - the airlines regulate size.

They do bust a few people whose bags are too big as a carry on. But why must they lie? We departed one minute short of our scheduled time.

do sensors alert flight attendants when passenger from seat 99B puts their bag in FC/MCE bin?

C17PSGR Dec 7, 2018 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 30510071)

do sensors alert flight attendants when passenger from seat 99B puts their bag in FC/MCE bin?

Yes ... it's the same sensor that alerts the FA when the pax from row 40, sits in seat 4E. Easy to confuse ... they do kind of sound alike.

SiempreBCNJFK Dec 7, 2018 1:23 pm

But did you receive an exclusive offer on your flight only for their American Airlines credit card?

It's a culture of lies...

Annalisa12 Dec 7, 2018 1:28 pm

They have to lie as nobody takes their rules seriously. Some think rules are optional choices

C17PSGR Dec 7, 2018 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK (Post 30510102)
But did you receive an exclusive offer on your flight only for their American Airlines credit card?

It's a culture of lies...

Those offers are only made because passengers have been asking the flight attendants if its available

Antarius Dec 7, 2018 1:42 pm

Could it have been a Weight and Balance issue?