Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That is key. It's not just that AA is slow (without the 20-minute guarantee of DL or AS), it's unreliable, too. AA had twice as many reports of mishandled bags per 1000 passengers Jan-Sep '18 as Delta did. And Delta wasn't even the best!

See page 36. https://www.transportation.gov/sites...-2018-atcr.pdf
It's particularly embarrassing because it got about 33% worse from last year in the same period.

Of course - the one airline that DID improve from 2017 to 2018 is...Delta.

(Data should be taken with a grain of salt as the ratio is per enplanement, not per bag handled, but nonetheless...)
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by chrisdenver1
I heard a GA make an announcement about a month ago (I think in CLT) how AA utilizes an "algorithm" that determines when overhead will probably be filled. He went on to say once the alert comes through, all bags will need to be checked. Actually sounds like a good application, just wonder how accurate it is.
Aha this makes sense. So on a route like LGA to BOS loaded with business travelers day-tripping with briefcases only, the algo estimates too early when bins fill up.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Whether this is an actual algo (which I have my doubts knowing AA technology) or GA discretion based upon the load factor I have no issue with it. Having paxs swim upstream to gate check a bag has made many a flight late taking off. For those buying BE or not paying for seat assignments that's the chance they take, being told they must gate check a bag.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Sometimes the bins are crazy full

I just boarded AA flight 2536 MSY-DFW A319. Completely full. 44 people on the upgrade list. It appeared that at least half the flight boarded with groups 1-4. I was the second person to board with group 5, and I took one of the last overhead bin spaces in the back of the plane. It appeared that anyone in groups 6 thru 9 had to gate check their bags. I saw a lot of bags that were bigger than standard and lots of people bringing on more than they should have.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.